• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

New Rules for U.S. National Anthem.

I make a motion for a new rule for all professionals singing the American National Anthem

If you don't know the words, if you screw it up on at publicized sporting events - you don't get paid.

Better yet: Have the "artist" pre-record the song in a studio a week before the event, then have them come out, introduce them, and let them smile dutifully while the recording is played.

For our foreign members that may not know why this is posted, today was the american "superbowl" which is basically the championship game for American Football. Probably the single most watched American TV show of the year, and the recording artist granted the honor to sing our national anthem either forgot or got lost and screwed up the words - again. This is becoming a national event of its own in this country, either forgeting the words or totally botching the song in some fashion at large public gatherings.

The entertainment industry may think it's funny or a big yuk but I don't and I believe the networks or U.S. sports industries should just opt for recorded versions that don't degrade the song or the reason we play it in the first place.

Yes I feel better, and what would I give to put Christina Aguillera's head on a ballhook swivel. Along with the idiot that selected her in the first place. I would not dignify her with a link to the embarrasing performance she put in tonight, but I will say if you want to see and hear it done right then flash back to superbowl 25, 1991 and Whitney Houston (before her addiction downfall).

Come back Whitney. The Music Industry needs you.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag
  • toolboxdiver
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
    I make a motion for a new rule for all professionals singing the American National Anthem

If you don't know the words, if you screw it up on at publicized sporting events - you don't get paid.

Better yet: Have the "artist" pre-record the song in a studio a week before the event, then have them come out, introduce them, and let them smile dutifully while the recording is played.

For our foreign members that may not know why this is posted, today was the american "superbowl" which is basically the championship game for American Football. Probably the single most watched American TV show of the year, and the recording artist granted the honor to sing our national anthem either forgot or got lost and screwed up the words - again. This is becoming a national event of its own in this country, either forgeting the words or totally botching the song in some fashion at large public gatherings.

The entertainment industry may think it's funny or a big yuk but I don't and I believe the networks or U.S. sports industries should just opt for recorded versions that don't degrade the song or the reason we play it in the first place.

Yes I feel better, and what would I give to put Christina Aguillera's head on a ballhook swivel. Along with the idiot that selected her in the first place. I would not dignify her with a link to the embarrasing performance she put in tonight, but I will say if you want to see and hear it done right then flash back to superbowl 25, 1991 and Whitney Houston (before her addiction downfall).

I would like to see her personally apologise to all the Veterans that were there one ata time and on her knees where it seems she has much more talent with her mouth in that department. This is a forgiving country, but you got your work ahead of you

Comment

• RenoRattler
      • Sep 2009

I think that The National Anthem not only has such great meaning to all of us Americans, but I think that is one of those truly great pieces of music. Like Amazing Grace, Beethoven's 5th, or Rhapsody in Blue. I think pieces like these have been amazingly written, and it is disrespectful to say the least when someone takes it upon themselves to embellish, or add their own ideas to it.

It was great as written, and as performed by everyone else before you. Just sing it that way.

Comment

• jumpcannon
        Creator of the Powermill Evil Swivel

• Jul 2010

everything is changing. next year they will probably have P diddy rap it. sad it is.
        evilswivel@yahoo.com

Comment

• Tim
          Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Agree 100% Alan. Does she ever forget the words to her own songs? What a shame. Certainly they must have rehearsed it, right? She's performed in front of crowds of tens of thousands before, so that is no excuse...

Comment

• Inkspill
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by jumpcannon View Post
            everything is changing. next year they will probably have P diddy rap it. sad it is.
            with samples from Hendrix's version no less.

insert frowny unhappy face here

Comment

• Biff
              Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

I agree, AK. But for as poorly as she did, it was nothing compared to Rosanne Barr's disgraceful rendition in 1990. That was almost as bad as if she set the Stars and Stripes on fire.

Comment

• jimcaher
                • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                I will say if you want to see and hear it done right then flash back to superbowl 25, 1991 and Whitney Houston (before her addiction downfall).

If Whitney Houston's rendition does not put a lump in your throat and tear in your eye, you're not human. She exudes the joy and jubilation which is the essence of our National Anthem. Shame things turned out so badly for her.

I'm inspired to rewatch "The Bodyguard," one of my favorite movies, despite the panning it's received from the critics.

Not intending to hijack the thread.

Jim

Comment

• TJ_MaTee

• Nov 2009

Originally posted by RenoRattler View Post
                  I think that The National Anthem not only has such great meaning to all of us Americans, but I think that is one of those truly great pieces of music. Like Amazing Grace, Beethoven's 5th, or Rhapsody in Blue. I think pieces like these have been amazingly written, and it is disrespectful to say the least when someone takes it upon themselves to embellish, or add their own ideas to it.

It was great as written, and as performed by everyone else before you. Just sing it that way.
                  Reno, that was very well said!!! It's very fashionable these days to make a mockery of the national anthem. You're right, it should be sung the way it was written, with honor and with the integrity representing the ideals the our country was built on etc. A lot of these artists(????) are so self absorbed and I don't think have ever read a real history book. OK I'll get off my pedestal now. Haha!
                  T.J. MaTEE'[/U][/U] u:

Comment

• jumpcannon

• Jul 2010

Whitney nailed it.
                    evilswivel@yahoo.com

Comment

• metaldad
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Apr 2007

I don't give a F@#$ who you are, you DON'T and I stress DO F@#4KING NOT mess up The National Anthem! When Roseanne bitch pulled that grab her crotch and spit B.S. I wanted to climb into a tower and take aim! If Christina Aguillara focused on just singing and not trying to fancy it up, I'm sure it would have been fine. Which brings me to another thing. The Superbowl seems to gotten away from being about the damn game! Yeah the commercials are funny and I do enjoy them. But every year there seems to be a trend of igniting controversy at the f----ing halftime show, from Janet Jackson's "nipple that nobody but some perv with a rewind button" saw, to Prince supposedly playing his guitar in a "phallic" way to the Black Eyed Peas just plain SUCKING! The Supebowl is inching more towards trendiness and red carpet b.s. For the record, Prince, Aerosmith and The Who were among THE BEST halftime performances IMHO. People stop f---ing up our National Anthem!!!!!! Ok, cleansing breath, and done. P.S. Next Year I vote for Megadeth to be the Halftime entertainment!
                      sigpic

Comment

• TJ_MaTee

• Nov 2009

Right on metaldad!!!!!
                        T.J. MaTEE'[/U][/U] u:

Comment

• jumpcannon

• Jul 2010

Lol...md, u said it best!
                          evilswivel@yahoo.com

Comment

• Speedbag
                            Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Biff View Post
                            I agree, AK. But for as poorly as she did, it was nothing compared to Rosanne Barr's disgraceful rendition in 1990. That was almost as bad as if she set the Stars and Stripes on fire.
                            I'd expect no less from Rosanne Barr, for she is not a professional singer. I fault the organizers of the Rosanne Barr fiasco for even considering her.

Christina Aguillara is a grammy winning professional. She makes her living doing this and should not make such an idiotic error.

Imagine Pavarotti messing up the words to Nessun Dorma.

Never happened.
                            Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                            *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                            The Quest Continues...
                            Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• toolboxdiver
                              Speed Bag Guru
                              • Jan 2008

Originally posted by metaldad View Post
                              I don't give a F@#$ who you are, you DON'T and I stress DO F@#4KING NOT mess up The National Anthem! When Roseanne bitch pulled that grab her crotch and spit B.S. I wanted to climb into a tower and take aim! If Christina Aguillara focused on just singing and not trying to fancy it up, I'm sure it would have been fine. Which brings me to another thing. The Superbowl seems to gotten away from being about the damn game! Yeah the commercials are funny and I do enjoy them. But every year there seems to be a trend of igniting controversy at the f----ing halftime show, from Janet Jackson's "nipple that nobody but some perv with a rewind button" saw, to Prince supposedly playing his guitar in a "phallic" way to the Black Eyed Peas just plain SUCKING! The Supebowl is inching more towards trendiness and red carpet b.s. For the record, Prince, Aerosmith and The Who were among THE BEST halftime performances IMHO. People stop f---ing up our National Anthem!!!!!! Ok, cleansing breath, and done. P.S. Next Year I vote for Megadeth to be the Halftime entertainment!

Amen brother Semper Fi

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...