• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Biff
    Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

I was Metaldad for the day

Today I drove a 26' box truck with nearly 10,000 pounds of used computer equipment from the school district where I work to a federal prison about 2 hrs away. The inmates unload the trucks, weigh the equipment, dispose of it and then print out a federal certificate of recycling (basically covers the school district's butt).

Let me say that I now have a new found respect for truck drivers.

No, I wasn't hauling a 53' trailer behind me, but driving that truck was an eye-opener for me. Observation number 1 - it takes a lot longer to stop a truck full of equipment. Observation number 2 - it ain't all that easy to back up, even with all those mirrors (I kept looking for the rearview mirror!!). Observation number 3 - you can't go more than 65 mph while going uphill. Observation number 4 (based on #3) - you can't pass an 18-wheeler while going uphill. Final observation - fuel mileage really sucks.

Metaldad, I have lots of respect for you and your fellow drivers. No longer will I bitch at truckers. They know what over the road driving is all about.

Don't bitch unless you drive a mile in my rig!
  • Dutchman
    Speed Bag Historian
    • Jun 2006

I've driven straight jobs over the years (in my previous life), and one of the most annoying things is when someone in a "hot little sports car" whips around you and pulls in front of you and then hits the brakes. They just don't seem to understand that these things don't stop on a dime. If they only realize how close it got to them meeting their maker when they do that.

Comment

• RenoRattler
      • Sep 2009

Nothing but respect for the truckers out there. My parents have driven since before I was born. 48' reefers for the first part of my life, now they run 53' dryvans. It was an interesting thing growing up. I've been in 40 out of the 50 states.

I drive a large truck for a living, but not quite that big. Mine looks more like this.

Keep on baggin', and keep on truckin'!

Comment

• Tim
        Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
        I've driven straight jobs over the years (in my previous life), and one of the most annoying things is when someone in a "hot little sports car" whips around you and pulls in front of you and then hits the brakes. They just don't seem to understand that these things don't stop on a dime. If they only realize how close it got to them meeting their maker when they do that.
        My dad was a trucker for 30 years plus and I recall him saying that was the cause of most of the truck related accidents he saw.

Originally posted by Biff View Post

No, I wasn't hauling a 53' trailer behind me, but driving that truck was an eye-opener for me. Observation number 1 - it takes a lot longer to stop a truck full of equipment. Observation number 2 - it ain't all that easy to back up, even with all those mirrors (I kept looking for the rearview mirror!!). Observation number 3 - you can't go more than 65 mph while going uphill. Observation number 4 (based on #3) - you can't pass an 18-wheeler while going uphill. Final observation - fuel mileage really sucks.

Metaldad, I have lots of respect for you and your fellow drivers. No longer will I bitch at truckers. They know what over the road driving is all about.

I've made some of those with the u-haul trailer this week as well. Getting somewhere in the neighborhood of 16 mpg for example, where as 20 is the norm sans trailer.

Comment

• Speedbag
          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Today I drove a 26' box truck with nearly 10,000 pounds of used computer equipment from the school district where I work to a federal prison about 2 hrs away. The inmates unload the trucks, weigh the equipment, dispose of it and then print out a federal certificate of recycling (basically covers the school district's butt).

Too bad you didn't have a speed bag set up in the truck also. You could have show those inmates a thing or two!

Much respect to Metaldad and truckin'. Especially since he's so short his feet can't reach the pedals. Honestly, I don't know how he does it.

Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Roc Stone
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
            Too bad you didn't have a speed bag set up in the truck also.

Some how I get the picture here of a speed bag set up on the roof above the consol in the cabin of a prime mover rig (which would suit you R handed, left hand drivers), just like Sly in 'Over The Top'. Yerr that would be so MD, strutting down the Hwy, single side linking all the way, the odd elbow here and there.

But then I remembered; err ...Alan wrote this, he probably meant one in the cargo hold.
            sigpic'IRON HORSE, LIVE TO RIDE'

Comment

• metaldad
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Apr 2007

Glad you got a taste of what it's like Biff! It ain't rocket science, just common sense. Too bad most motorists couldn't care less about trucks, let alone their own safety! Actually an empty trailer takes longer to stop but some fools tempt fate by thinking air brakes means instantaneous stopping......oh well that's why they call it DEFENSIVE driving.

I have a good friend who experienced that very thing Dutchman. He was bobtailing southbound on I-294 two years ago when a drunk driver in a mercedes cut him off, clipping my friend's front bumper. Though we're not supposed to, my friend instinctively jammed his brakes to avoid rolling over this idiot. Of course as a result he lost control of his tractor, went over the guard rail and into what I call the "sound" wall. Totalling his tractor, including rupturing his fuel tanks which now make it and EPA issue. My friend Jerry, a minister and great guy to know, stands 6'4", is in the 250-260 ballpark and is such gentleman. He had to have back sugery, can't drive truck anymore, and caught all sorts of crap from our job at the time. Oh he was also being watched because our benevolent employers swear he was faking just to draw disability, so now there's lawsuits. The only good thing besides him still being alive and feeling blessed is that the State Police, and Paramedics are all in agreement that the accident was the fault of the jackass in the mercedes and my bud did everything he could to avoid a fatality.

Originally posted by RenoRattler View Post
              Nothing but respect for the truckers out there. My parents have driven since before I was born. 48' reefers for the first part of my life, now they run 53' dryvans. It was an interesting thing growing up. I've been in 40 out of the 50 states.

I drive a large truck for a living, but not quite that big. Mine looks more like this.

Keep on baggin', and keep on truckin'!
              Your folks driving team? What company? I'm very familiar with CINTAS. I see you guys all over the place here!

Originally posted by Tim View Post
              My dad was a trucker for 30 years plus and I recall him saying that was the cause of most of the truck related accidents he saw.

I've made some of those with the u-haul trailer this week as well. Getting somewhere in the neighborhood of 16 mpg for example, where as 20 is the norm sans trailer.
              I bet he has some stories to tell Tim!

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
              Much respect to Metaldad and truckin'. Especially since he's so short his feet can't reach the pedals. Honestly, I don't know how he does it.

I have a stack of bricks tied to my feet Alan

Originally posted by Roc Stone View Post
              Some how I get the picture here of a speed bag set up on the roof above the consol in the cabin of a prime mover rig (which would suit you R handed, left hand drivers), just like Sly in 'Over The Top'. Yerr that would be so MD, strutting down the Hwy, single side linking all the way, the odd elbow here and there.

But then I remembered; err ...Alan wrote this, he probably meant one in the cargo hold.
              I may have to try that....Oh wait I drive locally so I'm home every night! No need
              Last edited by metaldad; 07-02-2010, 08:01 AM. Reason: spelling
              sigpic

Comment

• Dutchman
                Speed Bag Historian
                • Jun 2006

I may have to go back to driving, got laid off on Tuesday

Comment

• metaldad
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Apr 2007

Sorry to hear that Dutchman... If you have your class A license, FedEx National LTL is hiring P&D drivers. I've been checking the board at work and there's positions opening up around the country. I don't know where you're residing, but you can check the website:jobs-natltl.icims.com and see if there's something where you live. Good luck
                  sigpic

Comment

• Tim
                    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Sorry to hear that Dutchman. Hope you find another gig soon.

Comment

• Roc Stone
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Oct 2007

...Dang!
                      sigpic'IRON HORSE, LIVE TO RIDE'

Comment

• Speedbag
                        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Why don't you put a bag on that bike? You could start a whole new craze:
                        Biker Baggin'. Or in Aussie, Biker Ballin'.

Which one.....

HA! I'd love to see ya screaming down the road with a bag on the back, flapping in the breeze.
                        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                        The Quest Continues...
                        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• atgatt
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Nov 2007

Even though some truckers have given me grief, I still treat them with a lot of respect. I feel sorry for their long times away from home and long hours driving through all kinds of traffic.

And now knowing it could be Biff or Met in one of those trucks, I'll for sure show them respect knowing that if I don't they'll get out and kick my ass, as good as they box.

Comment

• metaldad
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by atgatt View Post
                            Even though some truckers have given me grief, I still treat them with a lot of respect. I feel sorry for their long times away from home and long hours driving through all kinds of traffic.

And now knowing it could be Biff or Met in one of those trucks, I'll for sure show them respect knowing that if I don't they'll get out and kick my ass, as good as they box.
                            Atgatt, thank you. But you give me way too much credit! I couldn't box a present if I had too! Btw, how's the robot coming along?
                            sigpic

Comment

• atgatt
                              Speed Bag Guru
                              • Nov 2007

Originally posted by metaldad View Post
                              Atgatt, thank you. But you give me way too much credit! I couldn't box a present if I had too! Btw, how's the robot coming along?
                              Met, you hit those big bags as if they were balloons. Believe me, you've got power.

The RBT has changed to different levels. I won't post them on my website because I have to upgrade the patent yet due to the changes. The arms are a lot faster. It's not just the arms I upgraded, I also got a boxing Bob with the arms that moves up/down, left/right, side/side very quickly, almost as if you are boxing someone else that moves.

Right now the latest version of the arms are at a major university being used on their football team. Evidently coaches are starting to see the big value of reaction time improvement. It still blows my mind why people don't see the importance of reaction time. Hundreths of a second makes a difference.

See, you bring up the RBT and I go preaching boring stuff.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...