• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • metaldad
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2007

metaldad sitting injured...............again@#$%%

So last week as I'm sitting on the couch with my wife reading and catching up on stuff I recorded, a small pain srtaed on my right side. No big deal, probably sat wrong or slept in an awkward position. That was Wednesday night. Thursday night I went to work. The pain began to intensify. My night started at the Chicago terminal, then the Bridgeview terminal (1/2 hour drive), back to Chicago where I hooked a set of doubles and drove to LaSalle, Il( 1 1/2 hour drive) where I was in and out of a forklift for about 2 1/2 hours and the pain began to intensify more. From there I drove to Bloomington, Il.(about 1-1 1/2hr drive from LaSalle) and back to Chicago (3 Hrs drive time), put the trailers and tractor away, did my paperwork and went home. Friday I had a job interview( I took ALOT of Ibuprofin) by the the time Friday Evening rolled around, the pain was so intense that I couldn't move! I had to literally crawl to the damn bathroom!!. After we argued a bit my wife finally convinced me to got to the ER. After bloodwork, CAT scan, killer hallucinogenics(LOL) and Ultrasound(checking for torsion in the private parts), I was diagnosed with an acute muscle strain.......WHICH BOGGLES MY FREAKIN' MIND! So for the next two weeks, I'm to do nothing but sit and take Naproxen for pain and Diazepam so I can sleep. I was naughty and hit the bag a bit yesterday. But mostly I'm taking it easy. Catching up on reading , Tv and playing the hell out of Onimusha 3 on the family PS2. I wish I could pinpoint the cause. I haven't been too strenuously working out lately due to having a pretty physical job that leaves me wiped out. Sorry about this epic post folks. Seems like I do this to myself every year about this time.........I'm gonna win the lottery and move to a warmer climate!
    Last edited by metaldad; 02-10-2010, 11:23 AM. Reason: spelling
    sigpic
  • atgatt
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Nov 2007

Met, so glad you posted and let us know, and also got it off your chest. Like you said, that cold-ass weather sure does not help. I just got off the phone with my sister in St. Louis who really screwed up her back by slipping on her steep driveway.

Unreal how a muscle strain can hurt so bad. I did read recently that they found that people who do stomach exercises to avoid back pain didn't get relief. The study said that just doing the stomach muscles caused an imbalance of support, and the proper way to help the back is to do stomach exercises AND side and back exercises to keep the strength balanced. Since reading that, that is what I am doing. Maybe (and I'm not a doctor, even though I wished I was paid like one), when you heal up, start slowly on strengthening your core muscles. A prize fighter stays in shape for what their sport demands, it is good for us to do it for what our job demands. You have a rough, physical job. You look strong as hell and I am sure you are, but somehow I think you would benefit from further working those muscles that are needing it to take the demands of your job's work.

Enjoy your time off. No sense in worrying about it. You'll heal up and will come back even stronger, you certainly have the discipline. Please know that I am praying for you and let us know how you are coming along. We care on this forum.

My family is always trying to get me to play their Wii games but they just don't appeal to me. Still, enjoy your PS2. My grand kids I'm sure would love to join you.

Comment

• fingers
      Speed Bag Guru
      • May 2008

Hey MD! good to hear from you, damn those muscle strains hope you heal up quick mate! might be a good opportunity for some relaxing fishing eh!!

Comment

• ukspeedbag
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Nov 2007

Oh man! I'm awfully sorry to hear about your pain MD. Good luck with the recovery pal Take good care of yourself. On the other hand....at least we'll get to hear from you a bit more.

Comment

• TJ_MaTee

• Nov 2009

Hey Metaldad, Hope your feeling better soon brother. If your like me, it's tough to
          be laid up and out of your "usual routine." But like the other guys mentioned,
          take advantage of your time to "rest up." Sometimes your body has weird ways of
          letting you know you need to take a break. Hope everything goes well.
          T.J. MaTEE'[/U][/U] u:

Comment

• Speedbag
            Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

I've seen this type of thing before, and what they are telling you is all Crap.

Since I work in the medical field and have inside connections for obtaining online image viewing, I called in a favor and snuck a peak at the medical imaging you had done. My friend, it pains me to tell you, but I'm afraid you've got your self a gremlin. It's rare, it's painful, and - yes - it's possible.

I don't normally post people's private medical information online, but in your case I think it will be helpful for you and instructive to the group. The problematic creature can vaguely be seen in your spinal canal, views 1 & 2.

Using the most advanced 3-D medical MRI imaging software, your doctors have been able to zoom in and isolate the level in question, and in view 3 you can see the creature peaking out from inside the vetebral canal. wow, he's a big one. He's pretty quick too, because the pictures show he's moving around.

Unfortunately there is no reliable treatment for this. Unpublished research has shown they are attracted to repetitive rhythmic sounds, and perhaps you could use the speed bag to drawn him out. It's worth a try......

and don't feed them after midnight. that's very important.
            Attached Files
            Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
            *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
            The Quest Continues...
            Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Jordan
              • Jun 2009

Man I'm really sorry to hear that bro. I hope you get better soon !!

Comment

• atgatt
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post

Since I work in the medical field and have inside connections for obtaining online image viewing, I called in a favor and snuck a peak at the medical imaging you had done. My friend, it pains me to tell you, but I'm afraid you've got your self a gremlin. It's rare, it's painful, and - yes - it's possible.

I don't normally post people's private medical information online, but in your case I think it will be helpful for you and instructive to the group. The problematic creature can vaguely be seen in your spinal canal, views 1 & 2.

Using the most advanced 3-D medical MRI imaging software, your doctors have been able to zoom in and isolate the level in question, and in view 3 you can see the creature peaking out from inside the vetebral canal. wow, he's a big one. He's pretty quick too, because the pictures show he's moving around.

Unfortunately there is no reliable treatment for this. Unpublished research has shown they are attracted to repetitive rhythmic sounds, and perhaps you could use the speed bag to drawn him out. It's worth a try......

So THAT'S why my back feels better after hitting the bag. And to think such and ugly thing lives in us.

Question though, when it's drawn out, where does it come out?

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by atgatt View Post
                  So THAT'S why my back feels better after hitting the bag. And to think such and ugly thing lives in us.

Question though, when it's drawn out, where does it come out?
                  Any orifice it wants to. And none to easily. But the worst problem is what it may be carrying with it.
                  Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• metaldad
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by atgatt View Post
                    Enjoy your time off. No sense in worrying about it. You'll heal up and will come back even stronger, you certainly have the discipline. Please know that I am praying for you and let us know how you are coming along. We care on this forum.

My family is always trying to get me to play their Wii games but they just don't appeal to me. Still, enjoy your PS2. My grand kids I'm sure would love to join you.
                    Thanks my friend! I should up and back at it in no time! I've already finished one game of Onimusha 3 on normal now I'm playing again on hard mode. We have a WII also and one of the games has darts and bags on it so I get to play my son regularly

Originally posted by fingers View Post
                    Hey MD! good to hear from you, damn those muscle strains hope you heal up quick mate! might be a good opportunity for some relaxing fishing eh!!
                    Not unless it's ice fishing big guy! We just got about a foot of snow dumped on us over the past two days and I'm enjoying the good old "indoors" lol!

Originally posted by ukspeedbag View Post
                    Oh man! I'm awfully sorry to hear about your pain MD. Good luck with the recovery pal Take good care of yourself. On the other hand....at least we'll get to hear from you a bit more.
                    Thanks brother! too bad it takes an injury to get me back in here on a regular basis!

Originally posted by TJ_MaTee View Post
                    Hey Metaldad, Hope your feeling better soon brother. If your like me, it's tough to
                    be laid up and out of your "usual routine." But like the other guys mentioned,
                    take advantage of your time to "rest up." Sometimes your body has weird ways of
                    letting you know you need to take a break. Hope everything goes well.
                    Yeah tell me about it!The problem is I don't always listen ! Now look at me LOL! Oh well, alomg with catching up on tv, reading and gaming, I'm also working on my chess game!

Alan, was the research by any chance done by this guy? and if so, then this is what happens when you take speed bag advice from him

Originally posted by Jordan View Post
                    Man I'm really sorry to hear that bro. I hope you get better soon !!
                    Thanks Bro' I haven't gotten bored yet. It's amazing how the days seem to fly by!

Thanks everybody! I'm glad I'm in such a cool place that gives such great support. As usual, metaldad gets knocked down but not out!
                    Last edited by metaldad; 02-10-2010, 10:45 PM.
                    sigpic

Comment

• Tim
                      Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Hope you feel better soon MetalDad, those weird injuries suck. I had a buddy who had to be taken out of the school gym in a wheel chair in High School, whole battery of tests, and never pinpointed anything other than he had done a crazy amount of reps on one of those old school vertical leg presses and probably strained his abs or something real bad. He was doubled over in pain, curled up in the fetal position!

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by metaldad View Post
                        Alan, was the research by any chance done by this guy? and if so, this is what happens when you take speed bag advice from him

Thanks Bro' I haven't gotten bored yet. It's amazing how the days seem to fly by!

Thanks everybody! I'm glad I'm in such a cool place that gives such great support. As usual, metaldad gets knocked down but not out!
                        I can't get any of those links to work, MD. Must be your pain meds kickin' in.

Take it easy and heal.
                        Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• metaldad
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Apr 2007

I can't get any of those links to work, MD. Must be your pain meds kickin' in.

Take it easy and heal.
                          Maybe so, but I still maintain it's all his fault.............and I'm still serious about his speed bag advice.....of COURSE my pain meds are from the ACME CORP.
                          sigpic

Comment

• metaldad
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                            Hope you feel better soon MetalDad, those weird injuries suck. I had a buddy who had to be taken out of the school gym in a wheel chair in High School, whole battery of tests, and never pinpointed anything other than he had done a crazy amount of reps on one of those old school vertical leg presses and probably strained his abs or something real bad. He was doubled over in pain, curled up in the fetal position!
                            Thanks Tim....your buddy's situation sounds pretty identical..No fetal position for me, but real damn close! Crawling to the bathroom were no picnic though!.
                            sigpic

Comment

• Biff
                              Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Hey MD, sorry to hear about your recent injury. I hope you're up and back to normal soon. Take it easy and follow your doctor's orders.

Good luck with the job interview. Since you'll be home for awhile, will you be posting more?????

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...