• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kyle
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Nov 2006

boxing

ive been planing on joining the boxing gym for a few months now and my sister and her boyfriend finally convinced me to join up. i have a tryout this saturday. my sisters boyfriend is a coach there and is making his return to the ring after 2.5 years off this sunday. he has had over 80 amateur fights but stopped fighting to start a career as a police officer. im really excited about it and cant wait to start training! just wanted to share because i so pumped!
  • spinsmashpop
    Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Originally posted by Kyle View Post
    ive been planing on joining the boxing gym for a few months now and my sister and her boyfriend finally convinced me to join up. i have a tryout this saturday. my sisters boyfriend is a coach there and is making his return to the ring after 2.5 years off this sunday. he has had over 80 amateur fights but stopped fighting to start a career as a police officer. im really excited about it and cant wait to start training! just wanted to share because i so pumped!
    Cool! I too have thought about that. I wish I knew I could dedicate the time required to get into it but I need the energy and time for my kids and career.
    Maybe someday I give it a go! Good luck and have fun!

Comment

• atgatt
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Nov 2007

Kyle, just my 2 cents and I know I sound like an old prune saying this, but I think learning to box is great; the problem with actually boxing is not so great. There is too much data today that shows that even with protective head gear, the brain suffers short and long term damage. If that makes me a sissy, I will wear that title proudly. I will box in a way that keeps me healthy, not the opposite. That is smart in my opinion.

Comment

• metaldad
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Apr 2007

Hey Kyle go for it! If anything, your body will be in the most intnese shape you can put it in! At 42 I may be "too old" to get in the ring, but man do I absolutely LOVE the workout! Atgatt's right about the injuries so please follow the CARDINAL RULE: Protect yourself at all times!!
        sigpic

Comment

• The Baggist
          Vert Baggin' Master
          • May 2009

Sounds like a GREAT opportunity KYLE!!!! GO FOR IT!!!

Comment

• Kyle
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Nov 2006

Originally posted by spinsmashpop View Post
            Cool! I too have thought about that. I wish I knew I could dedicate the time required to get into it but I need the energy and time for my kids and career.
            Maybe someday I give it a go! Good luck and have fun!
            me being in college now i figure now is the perfect time,

Originally posted by atgatt View Post
            Kyle, just my 2 cents and I know I sound like an old prune saying this, but I think learning to box is great; the problem with actually boxing is not so great. There is too much data today that shows that even with protective head gear, the brain suffers short and long term damage. If that makes me a sissy, I will wear that title proudly. I will box in a way that keeps me healthy, not the opposite. That is smart in my opinion.
            ya i know the studies but i feel im willing to take the chance. i think if things do ever go south i wud have no problem walking away

Originally posted by metaldad View Post
            Hey Kyle go for it! If anything, your body will be in the most intnese shape you can put it in! At 42 I may be "too old" to get in the ring, but man do I absolutely LOVE the workout! Atgatt's right about the injuries so please follow the CARDINAL RULE: Protect yourself at all times!!
            thx md i think ill really enjoy it
            Originally posted by The Baggist View Post
            Sounds like a GREAT opportunity KYLE!!!! GO FOR IT!!!
            thank you baggist its good to feel the support from all you guys!

Comment

• metaldad
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Apr 2007

thank you baggist its good to feel the support from all you guys!
              Hey man, it's what we're here for
              sigpic

Comment

• Speedbag
                Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Good luck with your training. Somehow I know you will do well inside the ring.
                Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                The Quest Continues...
                Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Kyle
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Nov 2006

good news guys i made it!!! coach said i need cardio work but he said he was very impressed with my strength. gonna have to start to hit the cardio hard

Comment

• metaldad
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Apr 2007

Can never go wrong with good strong cardio!
                    sigpic

Comment

• atgatt
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Nov 2007

Kyle, u-da-man. I'm sure that trainer sees something in you. One great thing about being in shape, you can also take more punishment than the average person. Let us know how it works out.

Comment

• Tim
                        Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

good news guys i made it!!! coach said i need cardio work but he said he was very impressed with my strength. gonna have to start to hit the cardio hard
                        Congrats, that awesome. I fondly remember my days at the boxing gym. This is something you'll remember for the rest of your life, no matter what.

Keep us posted on your progress !!!

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                        Working...