• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • metaldad
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2007

Hoping I've found a steady job

When I learned that my Union job was in trouble due to imminent layoffs, I quit and found work in sales, unfortunately that didn't work out the way I had originally hoped. So before my family ended up on the street and our vehicle got repossessed, I went back to truck driving. I'm with a non-union company and I'm hoping the third time is a charm. Things aren't looking too good at my old company;10% paycut , mass layoffs, shutting down terminals, and now asking for a bail out and considering "restructuring". I've been keeping in touch with a couple of guys who dodged the layoff bomb and they don't sound too optimistic. So here's hoping that if any of you here at the forum have been laid off, that it won't be for long, that you don't suffer too much financial setback, and if need be, you find something new which will hopefully lead to better opportunity..economy this, economy that..................our bills don't care about the economy. God bless!!
    sigpic
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Sorry I missed this post. Here's hoping you find stable employment. Keep us posted.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Biff
      Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

MD - I hope your employment problems get resolved quickly, and that steady employment is in your future.

Comment

• The Baggist
        Vert Baggin' Master
        • May 2009

I can feel ya METALDAD..... I have steady employment at the moment but the signs around are telling me not for long..........so whatever happens Keep Your Head Up and STAY POSITIVE!!!

Comment

• metaldad
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Apr 2007

Thanks for the kind words guys! The same goes out to all of you. Times are tough for everyone so hopefully you're all still gainfully employed or at least have the means to keep yourselves afloat! This company I'm with now seems to be doing ok. Hope it lasts
          sigpic

Comment

• atgatt
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Nov 2007

Been out of work for about 3 months after about 20 years with my last company. It's great not having to work and travel but if it only wasn't for needing the money.

The electronic industry sucks right now and when unemployment runs out I'll likely work 2 jobs doing whatever. If I wasn't married, I'd say screw this rat race crap, I had enough and would just go live out in the woods. But...

Sure hope your job holds up, Met. Sorry about the changes you are going through. At least the speed bag hitting will go on!

Comment

• metaldad
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by atgatt View Post
              Been out of work for about 3 months after about 20 years with my last company. It's great not having to work and travel but if it only wasn't for needing the money.

The electronic industry sucks right now and when unemployment runs out I'll likely work 2 jobs doing whatever. If I wasn't married, I'd say screw this rat race crap, I had enough and would just go live out in the woods. But...

Sure hope your job holds up, Met. Sorry about the changes you are going through. At least the speed bag hitting will go on!
              It really sucks to invest 20 years of your life to something and have it snatched away! I truly hope something good comes your way atgatt. I'm with you on moving to the woods! Build a cabin and hunt for my own food and leave the rat race to the rats!
              sigpic

Comment

• Kyle
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Nov 2006

Originally posted by metaldad View Post
                When I learned that my Union job was in trouble due to imminent layoffs, I quit and found work in sales, unfortunately that didn't work out the way I had originally hoped. So before my family ended up on the street and our vehicle got repossessed, I went back to truck driving. I'm with a non-union company and I'm hoping the third time is a charm. Things aren't looking too good at my old company;10% paycut , mass layoffs, shutting down terminals, and now asking for a bail out and considering "restructuring". I've been keeping in touch with a couple of guys who dodged the layoff bomb and they don't sound too optimistic. So here's hoping that if any of you here at the forum have been laid off, that it won't be for long, that you don't suffer too much financial setback, and if need be, you find something new which will hopefully lead to better opportunity..economy this, economy that..................our bills don't care about the economy. God bless!!
                good luck and ive been off for a month now....im a bouncer for a security company and the night life has severely slowed this summer...night clubs are dropping nights and wen they are opened its dead...it will pick up at the end of august but i just hate to wait...looks like my parents are going to have to continue to take care of me lol classic college student thinking!
                ________
                Agnes
                Last edited by Kyle; 09-11-2011, 06:52 AM.

Comment

• metaldad
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Apr 2007

Originally posted by MelloYello
                  I got laid off a few weeks ago but after having worked non stop for the past 20 years without a real vacation, I look at this as a good thing.
                  First off I'm using this time to not only decide on a career change but to also catch up on a lot of the partying I've been putting off
                  Hey nothing wrong with that!! You know what they say....whn life hands you lemons, hit the bag and toss back a few cold ones afterwards!!

Originally posted by Kyle View Post
                  good luck and ive been off for a month now....im a bouncer for a security company and the night life has severely slowed this summer...night clubs are dropping nights and wen they are opened its dead...it will pick up at the end of august but i just hate to wait...looks like my parents are going to have to continue to take care of me lol classic college student thinking!
                  Good luck to you Kyle. I was by the nightclub and bar that I used to bounce and barback at and man I miss it!!Call me nuts but when I didn't have to deal with beligerant drunks I had a blast! Plus it was totally cool getting to know the bouncers and staff from other clubs and bars in the area, never a problem at any door and didn't pay too much for drinks...Professional courtesy rules!! Give it and get it! Alas those days are gone...............................kids, I guess I got good training in dealing with children after dealing with childish drunks lol! Of course kids handle themselves better and are much more fun! Good luck to you again Kyle.
                  sigpic

Comment

• spinsmashpop
                    Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Hey nothing wrong with that!! You know what they say....whn life hands you lemons, hit the bag and toss back a few cold ones afterwards!!

Good luck to you Kyle. I was by the nightclub and bar that I used to bounce and barback at and man I miss it!!Call me nuts but when I didn't have to deal with beligerant drunks I had a blast! Plus it was totally cool getting to know the bouncers and staff from other clubs and bars in the area, never a problem at any door and didn't pay too much for drinks...Professional courtesy rules!! Give it and get it! Alas those days are gone...............................kids, I guess I got good training in dealing with children after dealing with childish drunks lol! Of course kids handle themselves better and are much more fun! Good luck to you again Kyle.
                    Hey Metaldad. I'm sure you had fun as a bouncer, and probably had no prob. when having to deal with idiotic, stumbling drunks. Judging from the guns in your picture, I don't think I'd be doing much back talking if you were about to "bounce" the likes of me! haha.....

Comment

• Tim
                      Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by spinsmashpop View Post
                      Judging from the guns in your picture, I don't think I'd be doing much back talking if you were about to "bounce" the likes of me! haha.....
                      No doubt, he looks pretty mad in his avatar too !!!

When I learned that my Union job was in trouble due to imminent layoffs, I quit and found work in sales, unfortunately that didn't work out the way I had originally hoped. So before my family ended up on the street and our vehicle got repossessed, I went back to truck driving. I'm with a non-union company and I'm hoping the third time is a charm.
                      Originally posted by MelloYello
                      I got laid off a few weeks ago but after having worked non stop for the past 20 years without a real vacation, I look at this as a good thing.
                      First off I'm using this time to not only decide on a career change but to also catch up on a lot of the partying I've been putting off
                      Hope all works out for both of you. Tough times indeed. Things seem to be picking up a bit (stock market at a 6mo high today), maybe just a little, but that's better than nothing.

Comment

• metaldad
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Apr 2007

Hey Metaldad. I'm sure you had fun as a bouncer, and probably had no prob. when having to deal with idiotic, stumbling drunks. Judging from the guns in your picture, I don't think I'd be doing much back talking if you were about to "bounce" the likes of me! haha.....
                        Nah.........I'd buy ya another round and get goofy right along with ya!

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                        No doubt, he looks pretty mad in his avatar too !!! Guys really....I'm just a big ol' putty tat lol!

Hope all works out for both of you. Tough times indeed. Things seem to be picking up a bit (stock market at a 6mo high today), maybe just a little, but that's better than nothing.
                        Thanks Tim!! Good things are soon to come for all.....I hope.
                        sigpic

Comment

• spinsmashpop
                          Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Nah.........I'd buy ya another round and get goofy right along with ya!

Yes, maybe now that we are speed bag bros and all. Unless we knew that we both shared a love for metal, you'd be grabbin' my belt and tossing me out the window like rag doll! I don't know how well my fist rolls would work in a case like that!!!! hahahaha.....

Thanks Tim!! Good things are soon to come for all.....I hope.
                          Yes, good luck with work Metaldad!!!

Comment

• metaldad
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Apr 2007

Yes, good luck with work Metaldad

Yes, maybe now that we are speed bag bros and all. Unless we knew that we both shared a love for metal, you'd be grabbin' my belt and tossing me out the window like rag doll! I don't know how well my fist rolls would work in a case like that!!!! hahahaha.....!!!
                            Thanks hopefully it lasts. Every drummer I knew personally was strong as Hell!! I'd have to revert to dirty fighting...Been known to do that. But since we're both metalheads I'd have to deal with it differently. One bar I worked at was a live music venue...Godsmack played there before their first album broke. I met Sully and talked to him after their set.. Me and the cook were moshing during their set............while working!!!!! Some bouncer eh?
                            Last edited by metaldad; 07-23-2009, 07:49 AM.
                            sigpic

Comment

• Kyle
                              Speed Bag Guru
                              • Nov 2006

ya we always say you cant take the bouncer out of the man...and its a great job while im in college just needs to pick up a little more.
                              ________
                              Web shows
                              Last edited by Kyle; 09-11-2011, 06:52 AM.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...