• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dutchman
    Speed Bag Historian
    • Jun 2006

Been a Bit Quiet Around Here....

I realize that a lot of people have migrated to other forms of social media, for the most part I don't have much of a problem with that. I run into some of you on Facebook, although I don't know if you really know who I am there. A lot of these people have participated in the Speed Bag Annual Gathering. It seems that a hefty percentage of them don't even realize that this website exists, and it's the primary reason why the annual gathering exists. There is a ton of information here to be shared. I'm grateful that Tim maintains the site.I know from administrating a site in the recent past that it can be a pain due to the software that has to be constantly upgraded. I suppose that eventually there will come a time that this too will have to end. A means to save all the information presented here will need to be found.
  • dad
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Dec 2018

Dutchman, may I say, "YOU" have given speed bagging one of the greatest controbutions ever and all of us who seek any kind of knowledge go to the "Dutchman" first.

Comment

• ventanakaz
      • Jun 2011

It's to bad that Instagram can't be intergrated into the forum, or at least be able to show the videos from that site, i kinda stopped with videos on YouTube but it just seems easier to share vids on Instagram and the group seems to gather there, But yes if it wasn't for this forum it would've took me longer to blossom into other visions of the Striking Bag

Comment

• Tim
        Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

This forum was born way back in 2006. Before Facebook and the current crop of social media. The "forum" style of sharing has definitely fallen out of vogue. *We don't even get spam posts anymore* - seriously I have not had to delete any spam posts in MONTHS.

I am committed to maintaining this forum for as long as feasible (as long as VBulletin supports the software). It will be here as a tribute to the past and as a searchable resource for anyone new to bagging.

Instagram and others will never be integrated - they (Instagram/Facebook/Meta/etc) would never allow that because it's completely against their business model. The business model of all the Algorithmic Social Media is the same - to show you random crap to get you to stay on the app as long as possible (for more advertising views).

I use Facebook and Instagram - but only the bare minimum. There's too many ads, too many "random" things it tries to show me. I also find it frustrating that it is near impossible to search or find something you look at two days ago in an easy way. There's no deep interaction either (mostly) -it's all shallow likes and hearts and emojis and things like that. Nobody spends time writing - because it is there and then gone in an instant.

In my opinion, social media went bad the day your "feed" became something other than a reverse chronological order listing of what your friends posted. Now they show you what they want you to see via their algorithms.

Rant over - LOL

Comment

• ventanakaz
          • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Tim View Post
          This forum was born way back in 2006. Before Facebook and the current crop of social media. The "forum" style of sharing has definitely fallen out of vogue. *We don't even get spam posts anymore* - seriously I have not had to delete any spam posts in MONTHS.

I am committed to maintaining this forum for as long as feasible (as long as VBulletin supports the software). It will be here as a tribute to the past and as a searchable resource for anyone new to bagging.

Instagram and others will never be integrated - they (Instagram/Facebook/Meta/etc) would never allow that because it's completely against their business model. The business model of all the Algorithmic Social Media is the same - to show you random crap to get you to stay on the app as long as possible (for more advertising views).

I use Facebook and Instagram - but only the bare minimum. There's too many ads, too many "random" things it tries to show me. I also find it frustrating that it is near impossible to search or find something you look at two days ago in an easy way. There's no deep interaction either (mostly) -it's all shallow likes and hearts and emojis and things like that. Nobody spends time writing - because it is there and then gone in an instant.

In my opinion, social media went bad the day your "feed" became something other than a reverse chronological order listing of what your friends posted. Now they show you what they want you to see via their algorithms.

Rant over - LOL

That was an educational rant Hope this site will always be here, it helped me enjoy the striking bag even more than i had years ago, it has made me go into my imagination of what could be and what i can share, i probably should start sharing videos again on YouTube so they can be shared on here, i should've never deleted all my post, that was a mistake and i jumped the gun to fast, This site has also sparked in eye into the history of bags and swivels and what i have learned in their construction, and i discovered what makes a good bag and what makes a good swivel, it also showed me with my imagination or maybe i should say my detective work of what's good and how to make it better when it comes to this addiction we all share, i like to look beyond the basics and sometimes try what i then discover it can be done with practice, Never thought i could do what i call the Sweeping Elbow Dribble, Something that i never seen anyone do and i'm getting close to getting it done cleanly, it's just that third and last part that feels impossible, the other one i have is the three quarter drum elbow dribble and beyond. Can't thank you enough Tim for this site, Thank you

Comment

• dad
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Dec 2018

Originally posted by ventanakaz View Post

That was an educational rant Hope this site will always be here, it helped me enjoy the striking bag even more than i had years ago, it has made me go into my imagination of what could be and what i can share, i probably should start sharing videos again on YouTube so they can be shared on here, i should've never deleted all my post, that was a mistake and i jumped the gun to fast, This site has also sparked in eye into the history of bags and swivels and what i have learned in their construction, and i discovered what makes a good bag and what makes a good swivel, it also showed me with my imagination or maybe i should say my detective work of what's good and how to make it better when it comes to this addiction we all share, i like to look beyond the basics and sometimes try what i then discover it can be done with practice, Never thought i could do what i call the Sweeping Elbow Dribble, Something that i never seen anyone do and i'm getting close to getting it done cleanly, it's just that third and last part that feels impossible, the other one i have is the three quarter drum elbow dribble and beyond. Can't thank you enough Tim for this site, Thank you
            Tim , you have made one of the most wonderful contributions to the speed bagging community and I thank you Man.

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by dad View Post

Tim , you have made one of the most wonderful contributions to the speed bagging community and I thank you Man.
              It has been my pleasure to help bring the community together.

I will also say Instagram is full of lots of great clips of baggers and the fact that the "barrier to entry" is so low means we have a plethora of bag punching videos to watch. There's definitely an upside to that.

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by ventanakaz View Post

That was an educational rant Hope this site will always be here, it helped me enjoy the striking bag even more than i had years ago...and i discovered what makes a good bag and what makes a good swivel, it also showed me with my imagination or maybe i should say my detective work of what's good and how to make it better when it comes to this addiction we all share, i like to look beyond the basics and sometimes try what i then discover it can be done with practice, Never thought i could do what i call the Sweeping Elbow Dribble, Something that i never seen anyone do and i'm getting close to getting it done cleanly, it's just that third and last part that feels impossible, the other one i have is the three quarter drum elbow dribble and beyond. Can't thank you enough Tim for this site, Thank you
                You are welcome!

I've been working on some stuff too, I should put a video up, but have lots of business travel here in Q4.

Comment

• Mickey Dix
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Jul 2019

I love all the knowledge you can gather from the speedbag forum . Looking back at all the interesting posts is a favorite of mine. Thanks Tim and all the baggers for the incredible insights in our passion of the speedbag!!!

Comment

• BagBoy
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Jan 2018

Really nice to see the place is still active. Hope everyone is well and still baggin' away!
                    Certifiable SBX Attendee 2019

@SpeedBagaZebo

Comment

• dad
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Dec 2018

Great to hear from you "BagBoy" Hope all is well. ENJOY.

Comment

• Dutchman
                        Speed Bag Historian
                        • Jun 2006

It's currently in the teens here in Western PA, and if the sun is out for any length of time the sun room where I'm set up can be rather temperate. When it is I try to put a little time on the bags. The cloud cover has been fairly steady in the last week (not to mention the snow). There is a gas heater in there that lord knows when the last time it was used. I'm not about to trying to light it off until I get furnace person in here to look at it. At the moment that is towards the bottom of the order of operations here.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                        Working...