• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Tim View Post
    ....Can you elaborate on the Advanced FDP combo? What exactly are you doing there? I tried to rewind a few times but it goes by a bit too fast for me to pick up precisely what's going on.
    Sure. This is probably gonna take a little explaining.

The "advanced" Front Double Punch (FDP) combo is just a quicker version of the normal FDP combo.

The "normal" FDP combo means two FDP's (or more if you want..) occur in the Triplet Rhythm with three rebounds in between. It looks like this:

L-R........R-L
    FDP ' ' ' FDP - - - - (note 3 rebounds = ' ' ' )

It is impotant to notice a couple of things here. First, the second or Bold fist R & L will be louder or "accented" over the lead fist. This can't be changed. (The last fist of ANY technique will always be the loudest. That is a law of the speed bag) Second, notice in the middle of the combo, the Right Fist hits twice in a Row.. or L-R...R-L.

These things happen in the FDP combo automatically, without any intention on your part. This "normal" FDP combo works fine when punching to music just like it is. Just time the second fist to land "on the beat" of the music. I do that x8 in the opening segment, from 42 sec - 46 sec, timing the second fist to hit ON the music beat in the triplet rhythm. then I change and do the same thing in the Double Bounce Rhythm, using the Reverse Double Punch. LIke this: FDP ' ' RDP. ( the principle is the same. The second fist lands ON the song beat.) Using multiple Front Double Punches in the Triplet Rhythm requires that I Punch slight harder and faster, because the bag has to make 4 rebounds before the second fist hits the "accented punch" ON the song beat. When using the FDP ' ' RDP combo, The bag only has to make 2 rebounds, so I don't have to punch as fast to make the beats match.

NOW in the ADVANCED FDP combo, I am speeding up the FDP combo, or "advancing" it from 3 rebounds inbetween to 1 rebound in between. It looks like this:

L-R....R-L
    FDP ' FDP - - - - (note 1 rebound = ' ' ' )

All same side "advanced punching combinations" will use 1 rebound instead of the normal 3. It is harder (more advanced) and takes more bag and fist control.

WHY would I do this? Very Simple. When hitting to music (Punch Drumming) I am trying to create bag beats in time to the music, kind of like a syncopated bag (drum) solo. I use the techiques, combinations, and SOUNDS or beat patterns they create, to sync up with the music. It's creative.

The Advanced FDP combo creates an interesting accent beat pattern that I cannot create any other way, and it has to do with the accent pattern created by the fists repetitively hitting the bag. note the sound pattern I add underneath.

L-R....R-L
    FDP ' FDP - - - - (note 1 rebound = ' )
    d-D...d-D

Keep in mind: these four fists hit with only 1 rebound in between, ....or like this: L ' R ' R ' L

In this Pendulum song between 1m54s-1m56sec, I do three of them in a row, (I normally do 3 or 5 of them to match the beat). It happens very quick and is hard to see the individual punches. Doing three FDP in a row with only 1 rebound inbetween creates this stuttered accented sound pattern. d-D...d-D...d-D, and there can only be one rebound inbetween to make this work.

What other technique or combo allows for 6 punches with only one rebound in between?? The Front Fist Roll. But there is a big difference. The fist accents in a Fist Roll are all even, not stuttered.

Fist Roll fists:.... R-L-R-L-R-L
    Sound pattern...D-D-D-D-D-D
    Desired sound....d-D-d-D-d-D

So, to create the stuttered beat pattern I want (very much like a "stroke-bounce" Drum sticking pattern), I have to use advanced Front Double Punching to get the repetitive single rebound stuttered accent pattern.
    It sounds really great when you can hear it, particularly when you pull it off for 5 or 7 times in a row. I had the music in this video clip just a little too loud, so it doesn't really stand out to much

The best way to get into an advanced FDP combo is either during the "normal" FDP triplet rhythm combo, then go to one rebound for a few, or just after a Front Fist Roll, continuing the single rebound bag and use the Fist order of the FDP to create the accented beats. I do that here in "Get the Party Started 4m 46sec (* L-R-R-L-L-R: You can hear the bag beat this creates better in this clip)

I have never been able to create this stuttered single beat pattern while rolling the fists. Trying to accent every other punch will change the speed of the Roll and your Roll will quickly fall apart. The advanced FDP movement is more of a quick chopping movement, and requires each fist hits twice in a row before changing.

Here is the fist order and accent pattern for practice.

L-R ' R-L ' L-R ' R-L ' L-R

Good luck, and don't make it harder than it is....

PS: Check the swivel in the Pendulum video clip. I am using the newly modified shorter Boxing Gear Swivel. This is actually the first time I have used it to hit with music.
    Last edited by Speedbag; 11-30-2007, 06:54 PM.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Ergon
      • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
      Hey Ergon,

I returned to hitting again, and I gave your pendulum song request, "fasten your seatbelts" a try. I didn't hit to the whole thing ( 9 minutes ) but here is about 3 minutes.

It's a pretty easy 4/4 beat, with 8 and 16 measure melody riffs. I start out for the first 16 measures in basic straight time punching on the beat, then go to more complicated syncopated combinations. (note the punching change when the voice over says "combination style". It's actually in the song ). There I start using various combinations that will have certain punches within them land ON the beat within a measure, syncing the sound of the bag beat with the song.

Hope it works for you.
      wow that is simply amazing!!

i havnt been hitting the speedbag for last 2-3 weeks as I havnt been home.. finished school and been partyin at schoolies and my mates haha

but wow im going to continue my training

thanks so much speedbag for the video i loved it haha

Comment

• Bruce.M
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Aug 2008

soundful and a little bit "LSD"

I feel rock(soft,folk) rhythm from 112 to 144 beat/min suitable for speed bag sport.I find some really old songs by Cinderella,Aerosmith,Bruce Springsteen,and so on are very good.
        Some raps' rhythm are excellent,too,but I don't like the lyrics.
        Last edited by Bruce.M; 08-18-2008, 09:30 AM.

Comment

• Speedbag
          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Bruce.M View Post
          I feel rock(soft,folk) rhythm from 112 to 144 beat/min suitable for speed bag sport.I find some really old songs by Cinderella,Aerosmith,Bruce Springsteen,and so on are very good.
          That's True. A lot of older Rock and soft Rock are great slow to medium speed songs for punch drumming. I hit to all kinds of music.

Originally posted by Bruce.M View Post
          Some raps' rhythm are excellent,too,but I don't like the lyrics.
          I may hit to "old school rap" but I don't know any of the newer songs ( last 3-5 years) that I'd hit to. Most songs I've heard ( not many) are way too slow with no melody to enjoy or follow. I don't have the angst or ears to listen or hit to it. If I don't enjoy listening to a song, I'm not gonna punch to it.
          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• ragavendra
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Oct 2008

Re:Song Request to Speedbag

hey that was a nice song to hear at and also the song has a nice variety of mixes in its music that is starting from the jazz to hip hop music .i have to thank you for the videos posted and referred here.i am waiting to hear a lot from you of this kind.please do it.
            ----------
            ragavendra

Blaze Infotech
            ________
            FJ1200
            Last edited by ragavendra; 01-23-2011, 04:23 PM.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
            Working...