X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toskabab
    • Jan 2016

The New Guy

Hi, I'm new to the forum and didn't know where to make a first post. What brought me here was Alan's punch-drumming videos on youtube so I thought this would be the best place to start. I'm fairly new to speedbagging (about 4 days now). I have the basic triple rythm down, but that's about it. Apart from reading the bible and watching the DVDs, which I am ordering now, do you guys have any other pro tips for me to accelerate my learning curve?

Comment

• Speedbag Seaweed Man
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Apr 2015

Hi toskabab! Welcome to the speed bag forum.

Sounds to me you are off to a blazing start on your speed bag journey. You have a copy of The Speed Bag Bible on the way, a place to hit the bag and you are on the forum. Excellent.
      I am a huge fan of The Speed Bag Bible. I don't have any buddies who hit the bag the way I wanted to hit it so as soon as I found out about the SBB I had to get a copy. So for about 6months I stumbled along blindly.
      Wise move saving yourself time and getting into a copy straight away!
      I'm sure you will be excited with how much gold is within those pages. My advice will be to start at page one and work through them all without skipping ahead too far. The way Alan has written it, and the sequence he has put the many exercises in allows you to really build on your skill level and understanding as your journey unfolds. I did a lot of air punching (hitting thin air- no bag) while reading through it. To get the arms moving, but also this enabled me to become fluent with the abbreviations or language which makes learning and communicating the speed bag possible.

Do you have a speed bag set up at your home? This would be an advantage over having to go elsewhere to get your fix. Careful this stuff is addictive!

You will find this forum helpful and the more you ask the more you get. Remember the squeaky wheel gets the oil. Ask all of your questions without fear of snide remarks. Everyone on here wants to help each other along the way and there are so many knowledgeable members.

If you have the means to make short videos and can upload them onto here then do! It will be great watching you progress and it's the best way to get tips and advice on whatever is happening at the time.

I have heaps more to say- my enthusiasm is pretty high! But for now I think you are well on your way to rippin up that speed bag.

Comment

• toskabab
        • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Speedbag Seaweed Man View Post
        Hi toskabab! Welcome to the speed bag forum.

Sounds to me you are off to a blazing start on your speed bag journey. You have a copy of The Speed Bag Bible on the way, a place to hit the bag and you are on the forum. Excellent.
        I am a huge fan of The Speed Bag Bible. I don't have any buddies who hit the bag the way I wanted to hit it so as soon as I found out about the SBB I had to get a copy. So for about 6months I stumbled along blindly.
        Wise move saving yourself time and getting into a copy straight away!
        I'm sure you will be excited with how much gold is within those pages. My advice will be to start at page one and work through them all without skipping ahead too far. The way Alan has written it, and the sequence he has put the many exercises in allows you to really build on your skill level and understanding as your journey unfolds. I did a lot of air punching (hitting thin air- no bag) while reading through it. To get the arms moving, but also this enabled me to become fluent with the abbreviations or language which makes learning and communicating the speed bag possible.

Do you have a speed bag set up at your home? This would be an advantage over having to go elsewhere to get your fix. Careful this stuff is addictive!

You will find this forum helpful and the more you ask the more you get. Remember the squeaky wheel gets the oil. Ask all of your questions without fear of snide remarks. Everyone on here wants to help each other along the way and there are so many knowledgeable members.

If you have the means to make short videos and can upload them onto here then do! It will be great watching you progress and it's the best way to get tips and advice on whatever is happening at the time.

I have heaps more to say- my enthusiasm is pretty high! But for now I think you are well on your way to rippin up that speed bag.
        Hi Seaweed Man, thanks for the reply and the pointers! Yeah I can't wait till I receive the material so I can stop wingin it and start doing it right! I've gone through a lot of the videos on here and you are all so talented. It would be great if I could reach your level, but honestly I'd be happy with just hitting the bag in rythm. But I'm stoked to learn nonetheless!

You're right about having my own setup. I currently use the bag at the gym which I honestly think kind of sucks. I know part of it is me not doing it right, but part of it is also the setup. To start off with the belly of the bag is at my eyebrows so I'm constantly looking and hitting upwards and probably have a pretty funny looking stance. Also, even when I hit straight (at least I think I do) the bag goes all over the place and I often struggle to redirect it. I'm not sure if it's the hinge or just my lack of dexterity. I do want to get my own setup eventually and I'd prefer to get the right parts and build it myself. The only problem is that I need to create a stand of some sort because I'm currently renting and wouldn't be able to drill any holes in the walls. I see you're pretty handy and you've built all your stuff yourself (nice swing-set for the kids btw!) so if you have any tips for me I'd appreciate it.

My new phone actually has a feature which allows you to upload live video recordings to youtube in real-time. I've never used it, but as soon as I get my hands on the bible and start getting decent hits in I'll see if I can set it up and share some vids.

I'm glad you're as enthusiastic as I am. I went at the bag in the gym for a little over an hour today and was somewhat discouraged because I thought I was hitting better yesterday. Maybe I should wait till I receive my material to ensure I'm not practicing bad form. Of course books and videos are great, but the real teaching is done best in person. I don't know anybody else who bags and when I share my enthusiasm about it they look at me like I'm crazy. One day they'll see what I'm talking about! If anyone lives in or around Tampa, FL it would be great to get some training in person.

Comment

• Speedbag Seaweed Man
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Apr 2015

Originally posted by toskabab View Post
          Hi Seaweed Man, thanks for the reply and the pointers! Yeah I can't wait till I receive the material so I can stop wingin it and start doing it right! I've gone through a lot of the videos on here and you are all so talented. It would be great if I could reach your level, but honestly I'd be happy with just hitting the bag in rythm. But I'm stoked to learn nonetheless!

You're right about having my own setup. I currently use the bag at the gym which I honestly think kind of sucks. I know part of it is me not doing it right, but part of it is also the setup. To start off with the belly of the bag is at my eyebrows so I'm constantly looking and hitting upwards and probably have a pretty funny looking stance. Also, even when I hit straight (at least I think I do) the bag goes all over the place and I often struggle to redirect it. I'm not sure if it's the hinge or just my lack of dexterity. I do want to get my own setup eventually and I'd prefer to get the right parts and build it myself. The only problem is that I need to create a stand of some sort because I'm currently renting and wouldn't be able to drill any holes in the walls. I see you're pretty handy and you've built all your stuff yourself (nice swing-set for the kids btw!) so if you have any tips for me I'd appreciate it.

My new phone actually has a feature which allows you to upload live video recordings to youtube in real-time. I've never used it, but as soon as I get my hands on the bible and start getting decent hits in I'll see if I can set it up and share some vids.

I'm glad you're as enthusiastic as I am. I went at the bag in the gym for a little over an hour today and was somewhat discouraged because I thought I was hitting better yesterday. Maybe I should wait till I receive my material to ensure I'm not practicing bad form. Of course books and videos are great, but the real teaching is done best in person. I don't know anybody else who bags and when I share my enthusiasm about it they look at me like I'm crazy. One day they'll see what I'm talking about! If anyone lives in or around Tampa, FL it would be great to get some training in person.
          Keep on hitting! If you are having fun then you are winnning. If you could stand on a low step so the belly of the bag was level with your jaw you'd find it a lot better. I built one of my drums a bit high, and for a big bag I had at the time so I stand on a bit of plywood that's on top of a timber frame.

Comment

• toskabab
            • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Speedbag Seaweed Man View Post
            Keep on hitting! If you are having fun then you are winnning. If you could stand on a low step so the belly of the bag was level with your jaw you'd find it a lot better. I built one of my drums a bit high, and for a big bag I had at the time so I stand on a bit of plywood that's on top of a timber frame.
            Thanks for the reply man. I'll keep on hitting. Still waiting on my bible. I'm going to make a video (maybe this weekend) to show you what I've got (not much) before the bible. This way I can get some pointers on what to fix and I'll have a reference to chart my progress.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Comment

• Speedbag Seaweed Man
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Apr 2015

My music box machine is dang gone and broke. Heehaw.

Comment

• fedortyson
                Speed Bag Trainee
                • Apr 2016

Flows very well to the music

Comment

• Zaza
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Apr 2011

Change your video angle, you're blocking the AOTB poster...Hee, Hee!
                  Great punching!
                  Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
                  http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• OneidaMorrison
                    Speed Bag Trainee
                    • Dec 2016

That youtube video is good..

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                    Working...