• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PIEFURZ
    Speed Bag Trainee

• Jun 2010

Looking for vids to practice editing together

Was looking for some video to try editing two clips together and ran across this fellow bagging. Looked like an orchestra conductor with the concentration and hair flipping. I fully expected him to hop on a horse and ride off with the hoofs beating to the sound of the music. LOL
    Punch drumming (TM) with a speed bag to the last half of the William Tell overture, Sept 2001.
  • Inkspill
    • Dec 2010

This maestro is pretty amazing! Dang! My brain just says "damn! That's complex!"

Comment

• metaldad
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Apr 2007

SHAZAM!!! Alan once again showin how it's done!
      sigpic

Comment

• Biff
        Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Even though this is an earlier AK vid, it's one of my favorites of his. That vid was one of the first I ran across on YT just before I joined the forum. i actually put it on my iPod a few years ago to show people what punch drumming was all about.

Comment

• Speedbag
          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by PIEFURZ View Post
          Was looking for some video to try editing two clips together and ran across this fellow bagging. Looked like an orchestra conductor with the concentration and hair flipping. I fully expected him to hop on a horse and ride off with the hoofs beating to the sound of the music. LOL
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPDHF...eature=related
          Busted! HA! the hook is Alternating 3 punch fist rolls from the front and back. I do that at 2:02 - 2:15.

F-Rollx3 ' ' R-Rollx3 ' ' F-Rollx3 ' ' RSP ' ' FCP ' ' ( now You need the hands behind the bag to start the 3-punch rolls from the R-Roll)
          .... The single fist pass-throughs will automatically change your hands to the front or back to repeat the sequence.

Actually I used a Downward-Triple Elbow Strike at 2:08 on the front triplet sequence but as long as it is three accented punches it doesn't matter.

D-TES ' ' R-Rollx3 ' ' F-Rollx3 ' ' RSP ' ' FCP ' '

You can also use a bit more advanced sequence, which I call the "3 punch monty"

FDP ' SSP ' ' SDP ' RSP ' ' F-Rollx3 ' ' F-Rollx3 ' ' RSP ' ' FCP ' '

This final part of the william tell overture is about 3:30 minutes long, so if you take it on completely in the fast syncopated combinations prepare for a battle royale to make it to the end. You'll need at least an 8x5 or smaller, and I normally overinflate it a bit on this one. Basic Rhythm (Straight Time) punching is a bit more managable, especially if you weak on side punching or fast reverse movements.
          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• PIEFURZ
            Speed Bag Trainee

• Jun 2010

Here is the result of some editing using instructions called "Movie Maker 2 Editing-Multi-Camera" found at this web site:

Windows Movie Maker by Papa John Movie Maker is a starter app for home video enthusiasts, and it has been around since the Windows Millennium (Me) operating system in late 2000. Version 1 of Movie Maker was an extremely easy-to-learn and use app that could be up and running comfortably in a couple of hours […]

The procedure is a little cryptic but basically Alan posted the sound track as a video that only had a title screen then black. He also posted punchdruming to parts of the song. So I put the sound track down as video to edit into and also as the music/audio track. The video track could be of different baggers hitting to the same song and the Music/audio track the song from start to finish to act as a track to sync each video clip to. It would be easiest to build the video from start to finish by having the first video laid down as the one to be edited into. Then where you want to add the next clip you split the track a little bit after the insertion point and insert the next clip making it a little longer than you want it. The reason for making the clips a little long is you can trim them which makes it so you can align the later one to the music/audio sound track. There is an audio mixer where you can listen to both the audio track and the audio from the video track and you can tell if they aren't in sync. The program works in hundredths of a second instead of frames per second like in professional video editors and the accuracy of editing isn't as good so it takes trial and error to get close. Zooming in on the time line helps. You have to listen for parts of the song that stand out and try to make them match then figure the time from there to the start of the clip your inserting as well as the point of the video you're inserting it into. So if all works well the fist of one bagger will be followed by that of the next and the song will be in sync. This would all be much easier with pro gear using SMPTE time code but alas that's expensive. The instructions suggest using a slate or camera flash to help sync but that would only help if it happened with everyone being video taped with that cue being recorded at the same time. Although if the master audio that everyone used had a addable pop at the beginning then you would just figure the length of time from the pop to the point of time where you want to insert them that matches when they were bagging. In the end you use the sound track from the video clips where each one is bagging or if each person listened with headsets and recorded only the bag sound you would mix this with the master audio track in the end although this way you wouldn't have the music on the video tracks to help sync to the master track. Sounds complicated but doing the math is easier using formulas in Excel custom formated in mm:ss.00. Wouldn't turn out perfect but hey as a hobby it's all in fun. Also I've been trying to get to where I can play sound thru headsets and mix the music in the laptop with only the bag sound and narration being picked up by the mic to get a better sounding music. May work with a different mixer software, can't get windows mixer to mix playback stereo with incoming mic.
            Attached Files

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

RE: Alternating 3 punch fist rolls

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
              Busted! HA! the hook is Alternating 3 punch fist rolls from the front and back. I do that at 2:02 - 2:15.
              This final part of the william tell overture is about 3:30 minutes long, so if you take it on completely in the fast syncopated combinations prepare for a battle royale to make it to the end. You'll need at least an 8x5 or smaller, and I normally overinflate it a bit on this one. Basic Rhythm (Straight Time) punching is a bit more managable, especially if you weak on side punching or fast reverse movements.
              I LOVE those alternating 3-punch fist rolls, Alan! I don't know if I've ever seen them before. Or maybe I have, but just haven't noticed them till now...

This video amazes me! Just the sheer speed of your punches is so impressive, but to actually execute them precisely, over and over for over 3 minutes. (Grasshopper has so far to go... )

I don't know if I could ever come close to the speed and expert combos, but, I'm certainly going to try doing those alternating 3-punch fist rolls, front to back. I'll add it to my Speed Bag To Do List.

Oh, and I'm beginning to understand the speed bag shorthand! I'm figuring it out, slowly, but surely.

Oh, and here's another version of the song. This is how I remember it, in black and white :

Watch more Cartoons here :https://bit.ly/37L30IIWatch full Lone Ranger Episodes herewww.youtube.com/user/LoneRangerWelcome to Mini Moments!Mini Moments is a ...
              sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
              I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by MsDeville View Post
                I LOVE those alternating 3-punch fist rolls, Alan! I don't know if I've ever seen them before. Or maybe I have, but just haven't noticed them till now...

This video amazes me! Just the sheer speed of your punches is so impressive, but to actually execute them precisely, over and over for over 3 minutes. (Grasshopper has so far to go... )

I don't know if I could ever come close to the speed and expert combos, but, I'm certainly going to try doing those alternating 3-punch fist rolls, front to back. I'll add it to my Speed Bag To Do List.

Oh, and I'm beginning to understand the speed bag shorthand! I'm figuring it out, slowly, but surely.

Oh, and here's another version of the song. This is how I remember it, in black and white :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCO6smQrjJ8
                F-Rollx3 = Three repetitive punches = a Triplet beat with each beat accented, and the last one probably the loudest. Think about it, the "Triplet Rhythm" ( basic rhythm ) is three beats with successively lighter beats. Hmmmmm.....

three accented beats ( 3 punch roll) is a very common accent pattern in music. Dee, practice 3-Punch Rolls with Double Fist Pass Through. After a three punch Fist Roll (F-Roll) pass both fists to a double punch.

F-Rollx3 ' ' RDP ' ' FDP ' ' RDP ' ' F-Rollx3 ' ' RDP ' ' FDP ' ' R-Rollx3 ' ' FDP ' ' RDP ' ' FDP ' ' RDP ' '... REPEAT.

and also doing this with the triplet rhythm.... After a three punch F-Roll, do a SAME side Double punch.

F-Rollx3 ' ' ' FDP ' ' ' FDP ' ' ' FDP ' ' ' F-Rollx3 ' ' ' FDP ' ' ' FDP ' ' R-Rollx3 ' ' ' RDP ' ' ' RDP ' ' ... to the front.

If you can do FDPing with control ( and Dee can) then adding one punch to make it a 3-punch roll is pretty easy and only requires a bit of control. You can do it as fast as you can do FDP combo's.

It's not as hard as you think .... AND.... it will really add a great beat and combo to your Punch Drumming.

* The Lone Ranger.

I loved that show and it popularized Rossini's overture under the name "The Lone Ranger Theme". It makes great sense to use Rossini's music (William Tell) for the theme. Rossini lived during the time of Napolean, and his father was a sympathizer. Apparently Napolean was fond of riding a white horse ...... Hmmm. could these be related?? (rumor has it that "Silver" loved the music)
                Last edited by Speedbag; 02-24-2011, 08:58 PM.
                Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

F-Rollx3 = Three repetitive punches = a Triplet beat with each beat accented, and the last one probably the loudest. Think about it, the "Triplet Rhythm" ( basic rhythm ) is three beats with successively lighter beats. Hmmmmm.....

three accented beats ( 3 punch roll) is a very common accent pattern in music. Dee, practice 3-Punch Rolls with Double Fist Pass Through. After a three punch Fist Roll (F-Roll) pass both fists to a double punch.

F-Rollx3 ' ' RDP ' ' FDP ' ' RDP ' ' F-Rollx3 ' ' RDP ' ' FDP ' ' R-Rollx3 ' ' FDP ' ' RDP ' ' FDP ' ' RDP ' '... REPEAT.

and also doing this with the triplet rhythm.... After a three punch F-Roll, do a SAME side Double punch.

F-Rollx3 ' ' ' FDP ' ' ' FDP ' ' ' FDP ' ' ' F-Rollx3 ' ' ' FDP ' ' ' FDP ' ' R-Rollx3 ' ' ' RDP ' ' ' RDP ' ' ... to the front.

If you can do FDPing with control ( and Dee can) then adding one punch to make it a 3-punch roll is pretty easy and only requires a bit of control. You can do it as fast as you can do FDP combo's.

It's not as hard as you think .... AND.... it will really add a great beat and combo to your Punch Drumming.
                  I don't have to go to work today, so, this is what I'm going to work on out at the woodshed – the 3-punch roll... It's sunny (and a balmy 32° F )... Like you say, Alan, it just takes control... well, I'll let you know how I do...

* The Lone Ranger.

I loved that show and it popularized Rossini's overture under the name "The Lone Ranger Theme". It makes great sense to use Rossini's music (William Tell) for the theme. Rossini lived during the time of Napolean, and his father was a sympathizer. Apparently Napolean was fond of riding a white horse ...... Hmmm. could these be related?? (rumor has it that "Silver" loved the music)
                  Funny you should suggest they are related. I was wondering the same thing about you and Clayton Moore...

hmmmmm...
                  Attached Files
                  sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
                  I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by MsDeville View Post
                    I don't have to go to work today, so, this is what I'm going to work on out at the woodshed – the 3-punch roll... It's sunny (and a balmy 32° F )... Like you say, Alan, it just takes control... well, I'll let you know how I do...

Funny you should suggest they are related. I was wondering the same thing about you and Clayton Moore...
                    hmmmmm...
                    Busted!

I could tell "some stories" about He, me and Tonto.

Oh the times we had.... they don't call it the wild west for nothing.

( I thought I had burned all those "masked" pictures but I guess they keep showing up on ebay....)
                    Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Inkspill
                      • Dec 2010

Man Alan! That's a cool combination, it's cool how just writing it out makes it easy to communicate. I will try it out, I will have to start slow!

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                      Working...