X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Inkspill
    • Dec 2010

my first video

I've been recording myself and here's one from today. Hitting on the everlast heavy/speed bag stand combo, plastic ball hook plus triangle clip. Bag is a century vinyl 10" by 7"

I would love any tips from the fellow speed baggers : )

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
  • metaldad
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2007

Hey Inkspill. Thanks for sharing. Looks like you're doing a great job of keeping your elbows up and parallel which aids in control. From what I could also see,your front to back linking is looking good. Maybe in your next video you could set the camera angle so we could see more of your form? How much vibration are you getting from the Everlast stand? I have a Century but hated how bad the speedbag platform wobbled. Looking forward to another video and seeing you progress
    sigpic

Comment

• toolboxdiver
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Inkspill View Post
      I've been recording myself and here's one from today. Hitting on the everlast heavy/speed bag stand combo, plastic ball hook plus triangle clip. Bag is a century vinyl 10" by 7"

I would love any tips from the fellow speed baggers : )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDOyjeJg5VM
      yea your linking looks good but Metaldad is right you need a better camera angle so we can see more of your form
      Bag On

Comment

• Roc Stone
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Oct 2007

I like you tenacity Inkspill, particularily in some of your reply posts.

As MD pointed, adjust your cam angle so we can at least see the bag rebound from both sides of your drum.

Your linking appears sound, now just needs perfecting. Can you link from L to R?

Have you got a sand bag on top of your platform? It may help, but I'm not sure on those free standers.

sigpic'IRON HORSE, LIVE TO RIDE'

Comment

• Inkspill
          • Dec 2010

thanks for the response guys. I do have a sand bag on top, 60 lb bag (they didn't have any 50's)
          that I drained what I figure (guessed by feel) to be about 10 lbs out of.

I've moved the sand bag around to different spots and haven't found a perfect place for it,
          I don't think it will be enough to completely stabilize the setup, it does wobble a significant amount.
          I have an old laptop bag with a huge dictionary in it hanging off the other end as I don't have a heavy bag.
          once I get the opportunity I'll get another sand bag and hang it from the heavy bag hook to see if the additional weight improves things.

I will get a couple of other angles on my next video. thanks again for the response.

I haven't done much side to side hitting. I've worked mostly on the 12 o' clock to 6 o' clock angle,
          and explored some on the 45 degree angles (10 to 4 & 2 to 8).

I need to work side to side, so I'll add that at the beginning and end of workouts.
          I'm still figuring out the correct formation and position of my hands for the hitting from the sides,
          I can sometimes get the bag to move correctly and keep my fist flexed away from the bag,
          other times the bag moves off in odd angles. I remind myself that it's a new side and it will suck for a while,
          just gotta keep at it. once I have the speed bag bible I will have a better guide.
          I like hitting hooks for side to side because I can strike consistently. I will work more on the frustrating side to side, thanks for the suggestions, transforming what I'm not good at into a solid skill is the only way I'll improve.
          Last edited by Inkspill; 01-12-2011, 09:07 AM.

Comment

• StevieMac
            • Oct 2010

Looking good dude. The frustration is half the fun, at least it is for me.

Comment

• Inkspill
              • Dec 2010

that's a good point, the other half is overcoming it!

Comment

• TJ_MaTee

• Nov 2009

Yeah I.S., nice job, good form with a nice steady rhythm! You've got the right idea, slow, steady and methodical. Just keep at it and before you know it, you'll be doing all kinds of advanced techniques. Great job!
                T.J. MaTEE'[/U][/U] u:

Comment

• Inkspill
                  • Dec 2010

thanks TJ. I'm learning so many things it's amazing.

Comment

• Speedbag
                    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Your rhythm and timing were very consistent. You stayed in time with the music really well. I notice you did some nice alternate linking with Left and Right towards the end. Very nice in the double bounce rhythm. I didn't notice you hitting in the triplet rhythm, but it will work fine with that song. Just punch on the beat and hit a bit harder to get three rebounds in between. Good work. Keep practicing on your skills. I also agree the camera angle could have been set a bit more to the left to see your body and arm motions.
                    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                    The Quest Continues...
                    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Inkspill
                      • Dec 2010

Thanks for the tips, I wasn't sure how to get the triplet rhythm in time with the song so I went for the double, but I will make that a focus to get the triple rhythm in time with the beat. I admit I'm embarrassed of my body which is why the camera was angled the way it was. lol. insecurities.
                      Last edited by Inkspill; 01-13-2011, 11:55 PM.

Comment

• Speedbag
                        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Inkspill View Post
                        Thanks for the tips, I wasn't sure how to get the triplet rhythm in time with the song so I went for the double, but I will make that a focus to get the triple rhythm in time with the beat. I admit I'm embarrassed of my body which is why the camera was angled the way it was. lol. insecurities.
                        Yeah, I hear ya. The camera adds a few pounds and nature also has a sense of humor. I learned to zoom in a chest high crop to eliminate the tummy in the shot. People won't believe what age and arthritis can do to your figure.

We all looked better 15 or 20...or 25 pounds ago.

To use the triplet rhythm to a song, just tap your foot "on the beat" of the music. Then punch the bag so that every time your foot taps your fist hits the front of the bag. You'll be in time, on time, every time.

Then to change sides with single fist triplet rhythm punching (Front Circle Punch FCP to Reverse Single Punching RSP), you need to double punch on the other side of the bag so the second fist will hit ON the beat and keep single punching from that side. It reads a lot more complicated than it is to do.
                        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                        The Quest Continues...
                        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• PIEFURZ
                          Speed Bag Trainee

• Jun 2010

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                          Yeah, I hear ya. The camera adds a few pounds and nature also has a sense of humor. I learned to zoom in a chest high crop to eliminate the tummy in the shot. People won't believe what age and arthritis can do to your figure.

To use the triplet rhythm to a song, just tap your foot "on the beat" of the music. Then punch the bag so that every time your foot taps your fist hits the front of the bag. You'll be in time, on time, every time.

Then to change sides with single fist triplet rhythm punching (Front Circle Punch FCP to Reverse Single Punching RSP), you need to double punch on the other side of the bag so the second fist will hit ON the beat and keep single punching from that side. It reads a lot more complicated than it is to do.
                          Yea, Alan but with that shot framed up we can't see as you rub your tummy, pat your head, and the fist hits the front of the bag all while you're tap dancing. Laughing myself to tears!!
                          Last edited by PIEFURZ; 01-15-2011, 05:17 AM. Reason: had to catch my breath

Comment

• Inkspill
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post

I hear you.

I see what you mean on the change with the double punch on the reverse side, I have done so on the front side but when I've done doubles on the reverse I usually turn it into continuous doubles with ''' between, or reverse roll, or double reverse '' double forward '' double reverse, etc. I will practice this tonight.

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Good solid start.

Welcome to the forum Inkspill. I've been reading some of your posts, and it sounds to me that you definitely have the addiction. I think you mentioned that you're hitting the bag for an hour a day and sometimes 2 hours a day on the weekend. That's sounds about right.

You look pretty good to me, as far as form goes – what we can see of it ... you're doing a great job of keeping the elbows up. That was hard for me in the beginning, and is an essential element of speed bagging. I noticed that you seemed to hit your stride at about 2 minutes in to the music. You sounded good, and on beat pretty much from about 2:04 to 2:32.

I look forward to seeing your progress. Keep on postin'!
                              sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
                              I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...