• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • juxt
    Speed Bag Trainee

• Jun 2010

1943 punch drumming

sorry if this was posted before but here is joe louis punching the bag to make a beat for the singers. It starts about 1:15 into the video

Last edited by juxt; 12-16-2010, 06:57 PM. Reason: embed video
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

That is an amazing clip. This has to be the first (and only...??) time the speed bag has been used during a hollywood musical bit. At least it's the first one I've ever seen. To my ears the bag beat was not really synced to the beat of the music but I imagine at the time it was the visual image of Joe Louis hitting the bag in a movie. On the other hand the Tap Dancing was fantastic. In my next life I want to learn to do that.

Great find, Juxt.Keep 'em coming!
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• TJ_MaTee

• Nov 2009

SHAZZAMM!! That bag was as big as Tommy T's "Basketball Bag!"
      T.J. MaTEE'[/U][/U] u:

Comment

• toolboxdiver
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
        That is an amazing clip. This has to be the first (and only...??) time the speed bag has been used during a hollywood musical bit. At least it's the first one I've ever seen. To my ears the bag beat was not really synced to the beat of the music but I imagine at the time it was the visual image of Joe Louis hitting the bag in a movie. On the other hand the Tap Dancing was fantastic. In my next life I want to learn to do that.

Great find, Juxt.Keep 'em coming!
        that will be great Alan you punch drumming and tap dancing together, that would be a one man show

Comment

• jumpcannon
          Creator of the Powermill Evil Swivel

• Jul 2010

I bet chuck norris could tap dance and hit a bag at the same time!
          evilswivel@yahoo.com

Comment

• paranday
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Sep 2009

Originally posted by jumpcannon View Post
            I bet chuck norris could tap dance and hit a bag at the same time!
            And do it barefoot.

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by paranday View Post
              And do it barefoot.
              And blindfolded, with one hand tied behind his back...

...To my ears the bag beat was not really synced to the beat of the music but I imagine at the time it was the visual image of Joe Louis hitting the bag in a movie. On the other hand the Tap Dancing was fantastic. In my next life I want to learn to do that.
              I'll bet the director told Joe Louis to just hit the bag, and they'd work around him... and I wonder how many "takes" there were...

As for the tap dancing. Simply amazing. As a kid, I would stay up late on weekends and watch all those old B&W musicals. Ditto, Alan... I would love to come back in another life and tap dance — AND play drums!

sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
              I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• Biff
                Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Great clip of Hollywood speed bagging history. WTG, juxt!!

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by toolboxdiver View Post
                  that will be great Alan you punch drumming and tap dancing together, that would be a one man show
                  Oh yeah!, Throw in a little solo charleston step (check out the guy in the white shirt and Red sash tie. I'd kill to be able to dance like that...), some Bhangra and mix it with poppin', lockin', American tap and mountain Buckdancing or clogging. Using any or all of those styles dancing between various speed bags would be an awesome display of foot and hand dancing. That would be a demo worthy of America's got talent. The mix of dance moves and baggin' would be unheard of. Imagine someone doing the charleston steps or clogging while hitting the speed bag. It cracks me up thinking about that, or dual baggers, hitting in sync, then bustin' loose to a dual charleston step, then back to baggin. The crowd would go nuts.
                  Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• toolboxdiver
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Jan 2008

Oh yeah!, Throw in a little solo charleston step (check out the guy in the white shirt and Red sash tie. I'd kill to be able to dance like that...), some Bhangra and mix it with poppin', lockin', American tap and mountain Buckdancing or clogging. Using any or all of those styles dancing between various speed bags would be an awesome display of foot and hand dancing. That would be a demo worthy of America's got talent. The mix of dance moves and baggin' would be unheard of. Imagine someone doing the charleston steps or clogging while hitting the speed bag. It cracks me up thinking about that, or dual baggers, hitting in sync, then bustin' loose to a dual charleston step, then back to baggin. The crowd would go nuts.
                    your out of control Alan LMAO

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by toolboxdiver View Post
                      your out of control Alan LMAO
                      Hey TBD, you gotta admit, a couple of two or three people punch drumming to some big band tunes, then stepping back to do solo and pairs charleston, then back to the bags, would be a scream. Every 16-24 measures they step back, cut loose in one or the other dance styles listed, then rotate to the others bag, - that could be hilarious.

Imagine, Me and MsDeville and Novaspeedbagger (all solid punch drummers) are hitting the bag to some roaring 20's music or 40's big band. Just simple basic rhythm, straight time punching - and MsDeville steps starts throwing a few dharleston steps, Nova looks at her and joins in, they step back do some pairs charleston, They come over to me, I look at them, scratch my head and break into so other dance style, then they join in, we change bags and go back to punching.

There's a lot of ways this could play out but it could be hilarious as well as show case rhythm, dancing, bagging, and throw props to all era's of music and dance. But the bag is present during all of it.

It would take a better dancer than me to pull this off, but I heard MsDeville can really cut a rug and Nova may have helped Mr Wiggles hone his moves.

I'm just sayin.....
                      Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Oh yeah!, Throw in a little solo charleston step (check out the guy in the white shirt and Red sash tie. I'd kill to be able to dance like that...), some Bhangra and mix it with poppin', lockin', American tap and mountain Buckdancing or clogging. Using any or all of those styles dancing between various speed bags would be an awesome display of foot and hand dancing. ...Imagine someone doing the charleston steps or clogging while hitting the speed bag. It cracks me up thinking about that, or dual baggers, hitting in sync, then bustin' loose to a dual charleston step, then back to baggin. The crowd would go nuts.
                        I enjoyed watching the Banghra vid, but that Buckdancing is kinda weird-looking...they don't move their upper body much...

You gotta admit, a couple of two or three people punch drumming to some big band tunes, then stepping back to do solo and pairs charleston, then back to the bags, would be a scream...

Imagine, Me and MsDeville and Novaspeedbagger (all solid punch drummers) are hitting the bag to some roaring 20's music or 40's big band. Just simple basic rhythm, straight time punching - and MsDeville steps starts throwing a few charleston steps, Nova looks at her and joins in, they step back do some pairs charleston, They come over to me, I look at them, scratch my head and break into so other dance style, then they join in, we change bags and go back to punching.

Okay, I'll start workin' on some Charlston footwork...

It would take a better dancer than me to pull this off, but I heard MsDeville can really cut a rug...
                        Uh oh! Who's been telling you stories about my dancing abilities, Alan? Has Trainer Raul been secretly releasing my video "outtakes"?! I usually leave my dancing segments on the cutting-room floor .

You know, Alan, it would be kinda fun to incorporate some dancing with the punching of the bag.

There's no speed-bagging in this clip, but he does execute a great elbow punch at :38.

And, here's one with Eleanor Powell and Astaire...

Whadda ya say we transform Donnie's Real Gymm into a punch-drumming/tap-dancing stage next summer! We could do something really spectacular on that spiral staircase, don't ya think...

sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
                        I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by MsDeville View Post
                          I enjoyed watching the Banghra vid, but that Buckdancing is kinda weird-looking...they don't move their upper body much...

Okay, I'll start workin' on some Charlston footwork...

Uh oh! Who's been telling you stories about my dancing abilities, Alan? Has Trainer Raul been secretly releasing my video "outtakes"?! I usually leave my dancing segments on the cutting-room floor .

You know, Alan, it would be kinda fun to incorporate some dancing with the punching of the bag.

There's no speed-bagging in this clip, but he does execute a great elbow punch at :38.

Yeah, and wouldn't ya know it's and "Upward" Single Elbow Strike" at that. OUCH!

NO, trainer Raul has not been telling on you. I got my info from another source.

Originally posted by MsDeville View Post

And, here's one with Eleanor Powell and Astaire...

Whadda ya say we transform Donnie's Real Gymm into a punch-drumming/tap-dancing stage next summer! We could do something really spectacular on that spiral staircase, don't ya think...

That would be awesome. I've always believed that throwing in some killer or funny dance moves while bagging or in between bag sets would take the whole presentation it to the next level. Especially tap. kicking out some cool rhythms with your feet them echoing them on the bag, back and forth: feet to bag, bag to feet. Imagine two baggers in sync on the bag, and a tap dancer kicking in with them, then one of the baggers swaps with the dancer. Pure Rhythm, and it would really be entertaining to watch and hear. Best part: It's never been done before.

( I actually pitched this idea to the group "STOMP" in a video almost 10 years ago., but never heard back from them.

You can't tell me that a speed bag wouldn't be killer in this mix.

Last edited by Speedbag; 12-20-2010, 04:38 PM.
                          Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• spinsmashpop
                            Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Very cool!
                            Yeah AK.. the bag isn't really with the beat of the song... maybe they thought it would make a rhythm that would somehow fit in because of the speed..
                            Anyhow.. cool footage!

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                            Working...