MsD's Vintage 4200 Bag–in mint condition!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MsDeville

• Oct 2009

MsD's Vintage 4200 Bag–in mint condition!!!

First of all, I'd like to thank Paranday for posting this eBay listing on the "Play It Again" section of the forum. The auction had closed, with no high bid, so I requested that they re-open the bidding and guess what? I got this beautiful Everlast Kangaroo 4200 speed bag for $10!

Okay, so there was $7 in shipping and handling fees, too, but, I feel I lucked out BIG TIME! I got it in the mail a few days ago. I was amazed at its condition. Trainer Raul inspected it, and he has concluded that it was never punched on. He said that this is the model that he used to punch on back in the day... he remembers paying over $60 for this bag. But, I must say, if Everlast were to resurrect this bag, it would be well worth the money.

There is absolutely no wear or tear on it whatsoever. It came with the original bladder – and it actually holds the air! Well, for a while, anyway. Long enough to put this short video clip up on YouTube. The air was slowly seeping out as I punched, so I had to continuously adjust my punch as it got harder and harder to get it to rebound.

Bottom line... I LOVE THIS BAG! Below are the "Before" and "After" photos of it – only partially inflated. I've been conditioning the leather, and also trying to bring back a little more elasticity to the valve stem, so that it will hold the air.

Attached Files
    sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
    I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts
  • paranday
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Sep 2009

One heck of a nice looking speed bag for $10. Kangaroo leather is great stuff. The modern Everlast 'roo bag is a keeper also, if you can find one that has a uniform shape.

Comment

• TJ_MaTee

• Nov 2009

Great Job Dee! Ahh, that was one America's favorite Aussie tunes! Everlast makes a rubber bladder that would fit into that bag. I replaced one in an old Tuff Wear bag that I had from the early 80's. It's a fantastic bag 9x6, it still punches great. If they're not totally punched out, and the seams are still good, the "oldies are still goodies!"
      T.J. MaTEE'[/U][/U] u:

Comment

• Dutchman
        Speed Bag Historian
        • Jun 2006

YOU GOT IT! Congrats!. I think that you will be very happy with this bag, especially after you install a new bladder.

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by paranday View Post
          ...The modern Everlast 'roo bag is a keeper also, if you can find one that has a uniform shape.
          I ordered one, but it was misshapen. Otherwise, it was nice leather, very easy on the knuckles.

Originally posted by TJ_MaTee View Post
          Great Job Dee! Ahh, that was one America's favorite Aussie tunes! Everlast makes a rubber bladder that would fit into that bag. I replaced one in an old Tuff Wear bag that I had from the early 80's. It's a fantastic bag 9x6, it still punches great. If they're not totally punched out, and the seams are still good, the "oldies are still goodies!"
          Yes, I remember this song from way back and figured I should punch to an aussie tune while punching on the 'roo bag. Thanks for the recommendation for a replacement bladder.

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
          YOU GOT IT! Congrats!. I think that you will be very happy with this bag, especially after you install a new bladder.
          YAY! I did. Thanks for the input from you Dutch. Yes, I think I'll be very content with it. I'm going to "baby" it and keep it out the cold weather. I tried it last night with the temperature hovering at 32°F... not very responsive. Especially with the slow leaking of air from the valve stem. It seems to be a bag that needs a little more umpf behind the punch. (A new bladder will improve this a bit, I suppose? ) A harder workout is something I need right now, as I'm feeling as though I'm not getting a good workout on the yellow Title bag.

Because it was so cold last night, I wanted to get warmed up enough to take off my hoody jacket. I found "Free Ride" by Edgar Winter on my ipod – three full minutes of a fast-paced song. Now, THAT one got my heart a-pumpin'... whew!
          sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
          I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• Speedbag
            Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Awesome bag, D, and a great song for the occassion. Nice job on the Punch Drumming. Very Solid and right on beat. You make it look easy!
            Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
            *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
            The Quest Continues...
            Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• deano
              Australia's Elbow Wizard

• Jun 2009

too good

hey Dee,you hit the jackpot with that bag.It's probally too good to punch on,you'll have to keep it for special occasions,like when Rolf visits.You'll have to keep your eye out for another black bag to torture.and punchdrum on.Always good to see you punching.deano

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                Awesome bag, D, and a great song for the occassion. Nice job on the Punch Drumming. Very Solid and right on beat. You make it look easy!
                Yes, it is one awesome bag. I'm pleased as punch to have it in my collection of bags...it's an essential bag for the serious bagger, that's for sure!

Originally posted by deano View Post
                hey Dee,you hit the jackpot with that bag.It's probally too good to punch on,you'll have to keep it for special occasions,like when Rolf visits.You'll have to keep your eye out for another black bag to torture.and punchdrum on.Always good to see you punching.deano
                Hey deano! Jackpot indeed! Yes, you're probably right and I really should tie me kangaroo down and save it for when Rolf invites me "down under" to perform with him! I have been viewing some of Rolf Harris's videos on YouTube and he is certainly a good-natured fellow with a quirky sense of humor...

For example, here's Rolf's version of Stairway to Heaven: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPOIy4Kb9M4
                Attached Files

Comment

• Tim
                  Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Looks like a very nice bag Ms D, and a great conversation piece. Thanks for the video. Sorry to hear the new kangaroo bag was mishapen...

Comment

• novaspeedbagger
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Aug 2010

Excellent find,acquisition and re-condition!

Great video Dee! Your Baggin is smooth and fluid. Very nice job!

You have me curious as to how you re-conditioned the leather and also, how the color of the bag changed from the brown look to black.

Excellent find,acquisition and re-condition! I'd have to give it a five black bag rating
                    Last edited by novaspeedbagger; 11-30-2010, 11:50 PM. Reason: added a line
                    Novaspeedbagger

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                      Looks like a very nice bag Ms D, and a great conversation piece. Thanks for the video. Sorry to hear the new kangaroo bag was mishapen...
                      It's a beautiful bag, and I hope to hit on it in warmer weather ...or only on special occasions. I was disappointed in the shape of the new Everlast Kangaroo bag (see photo). I'm not sure if you can tell by the front and side photos, but from the side-view, it was definitely "flatter" than the front-view... Am I being too picky, or do others agree that the bag should be a nice round shape at the girth. There's no argument though, as far as the softness of the leather. Paranday has a roo bag, and is very happy with it.

Originally posted by novaspeedbagger View Post
                      Great video Dee! Your Baggin is smooth and fluid. Very nice job!

You have me curious as to how you re-conditioned the leather and also, how the color of the bag changed from the brown look to black.

Excellent find,acquisition and re-condition! I'd have to give it a five black bag rating
                      I'll fess up... Trainer Raul reconditioned it for me. He used mineral oil. It really made the leather look rich! I'm very pleased with how it turned out.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• PIEFURZ
                        Speed Bag Trainee

• Jun 2010

Ms D, congrats on the purchase. To bad on the leaking. It would be nice to keep the original bladder working. There is a couple things you may try. If it is the valve there is lube for use when inserting the needle that may help soften up the valve after repeated use. Maybe use it every now and then letting it soak in for a while. Also there is Ball Doctor that is for leaking balls that should plug leaks in the bladder but may also plug a leaking valve. I don't know if it would clog the valve but the needle would probably unblock it again. Not sure if it stays fluid or if it hardens. I was reading up on a product line made by a company called Slime for fixing tire leaks and it works by the liquid floating particles into the leak but the liquid stays fluid. Don't know if Slime would be recommended on ball or bag bladders but it was educational to read up on. Just don't over inflate to cheat and get a longer workout, I ripped a hole in a cheap leaking bag the second time I used it by doing that. If nothing else it's a nice looking bag to have hanging around.

Comment

• Mrs Mitts
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Feb 2010

That's a gorgeous looking speedball Dee, no wonder you were over the moon! All these amazing old vintage speedbags that paranday and others have posted, I can see why it's tempting to 'collect' one or two. I have to say, they just don't crop up here in the UK.

If you put 'vintage speedbag' into ebay.com there's always a few there. But here in the UK, never. Well almost never, I have just spotted one so if my lucks in I might get a 'nostalgia fix' before Christmas!!!

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                          Working...