• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ukspeedbag
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Nov 2007

A Hard Days Night

This is uk's new corner!

Finally got down to making a half decent video of me punch drumming.

ukspeedbag punch drumming to a great piece by the Beatles.

Vini
    Last edited by ukspeedbag; 12-19-2009, 09:32 AM.
  • Biff
    Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Very nice job Vini. Your new set-up looks great. Board is really solid, no vibration at all. Finally a warm and dry place to bag when that UK weather is nasty.

BTW, who's that old guy in the picture, your father?

Comment

• ukspeedbag
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Biff View Post
      Very nice job Vini. Your new set-up looks great. Board is really solid, no vibration at all. Finally a warm and dry place to bag when that UK weather is nasty.

BTW, who's that old guy in the picture, your father?

Thanks Biff. I just got it finished today and I'm very pleased. The platform is solid, it's fixed to a solid brick wall. And I was able to wear a t-shirt.

My father!!!

Comment

• Roc Stone
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Oct 2007

I've been wondering for a while now, who would be the 1st to do a Beetles tune.
        Nice work.
        Can you do 'Tax Man' next?
        sigpic'IRON HORSE, LIVE TO RIDE'

Comment

• Tim
          Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

That's great Vini. Looks like you've got a nice little speed bag workout center going on there. Great tune, great punch drumming.

Comment

• Speedbag
            Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

You're control has really improved. Nice job. You're on beat most of the time. Remember, you must adjust your punching speed, going faster or slower at times to make the main beats of the combinations to match the song, for example, ( :11-13 and :20-23 sec) on the Downward Double Punches. To throw double beat techniques you will need to anticate an increase in bag speed needed to get in the extra rebounds. You can add this speed with a bit more force in your fist contact after the elbow hits. Same thing with Front Double punching from the same side. the second fist will add a bit more force to increase your bag speed. Your ears will tell you when the speed is correct. You also need to anticipate that speed change on you FIRST double punch or Double Elbow by putting your first bag contact (elbow on a D-DES) a bit ahead of the beat so the second part (fist) hits "on" the music beat. to do this you will have to set this up by adding a bit of bag speed on the punch before the double technique, which will get the bag in the correct position to be hit by that first "pick up beat" a bit early, allowing the second (main) contact to be ON the beat.

Very nice double fist linking combo from 42 - 58 sec. The double beat "D-D, D-D" sound fits nice to this song. Being in the double bounce rhythm, you normally don't have to add bag speed with this combo. Actually, you got a little too fast at the end of the combo, pushing your double beats a bit ahead of the song. Not bad, just a bit fast. Anyway, you're control of the techniques was very nice.

Notice at 1:23-1:26 and 1:30-1:33 the music mix gives you a perfect set up for Fist Rolling, which you kinda did. As you work with this song, you can always anticipate that section and be ready to fist roll with it from the front of reverse. You can come off the roll easily to single fist front punching OR pass through to begin the (F-Roll) ' ' RDP ' ' SDP ' ' SDP ' ' FDP....front singles. (this works well, because the last two punches of the F-Roll are actual a FDP!)

I know this all sounds a bit ticky and technical, but that is why punching drumming is a creative "art form". I will hear the bag beat to a song a bit differently, or not - but you're working it well with the combinations you have!

Hope it helps.
            Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
            *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
            The Quest Continues...
            Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• ukspeedbag
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Roc Stone View Post
              I've been wondering for a while now, who would be the 1st to do a Beetles tune.
              Nice work.
              Can you do 'Tax Man' next?
              Thanks Roc. I just had a listen to Tax Man. Thanks for choosing my next piece! I Need to get some practice in.
              Originally posted by Tim View Post
              That's great Vini. Looks like you've got a nice little speed bag workout center going on there. Great tune, great punch drumming.
              Tim, That made me laugh! Sam loved her new bedroom before I claimed 'my workout centre'. It's been a bit of a joke in our household. She was sitting next to me when I read your post and we both laughed out loud.
              Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
              You're control has really improved. Nice job. You're on beat most of the time. Remember, you must adjust your punching speed, going faster or slower at times to make the main beats of the combinations to match the song, for example, ( :11-13 and :20-23 sec) on the Downward Double Punches. To throw double beat techniques you will need to anticate an increase in bag speed needed to get in the extra rebounds. You can add this speed with a bit more force in your fist contact after the elbow hits. Same thing with Front Double punching from the same side. the second fist will add a bit more force to increase your bag speed. Your ears will tell you when the speed is correct. You also need to anticipate that speed change on you FIRST double punch or Double Elbow by putting your first bag contact (elbow on a D-DES) a bit ahead of the beat so the second part (fist) hits "on" the music beat. to do this you will have to set this up by adding a bit of bag speed on the punch before the double technique, which will get the bag in the correct position to be hit by that first "pick up beat" a bit early, allowing the second (main) contact to be ON the beat.

Very nice double fist linking combo from 42 - 58 sec. The double beat "D-D, D-D" sound fits nice to this song. Being in the double bounce rhythm, you normally don't have to add bag speed with this combo. Actually, you got a little too fast at the end of the combo, pushing your double beats a bit ahead of the song. Not bad, just a bit fast. Anyway, you're control of the techniques was very nice.

Notice at 1:23-1:26 and 1:30-1:33 the music mix gives you a perfect set up for Fist Rolling, which you kinda did. As you work with this song, you can always anticipate that section and be ready to fist roll with it from the front of reverse. You can come off the roll easily to single fist front punching OR pass through to begin the (F-Roll) ' ' RDP ' ' SDP ' ' SDP ' ' FDP....front singles. (this works well, because the last two punches of the F-Roll are actual a FDP!)

I know this all sounds a bit ticky and technical, but that is why punching drumming is a creative "art form". I will hear the bag beat to a song a bit differently, or not - but you're working it well with the combinations you have!

Hope it helps.
              Alan, thank-you very much for taking the time to study my video. It does sound tricky but, not technical, it all makes sense. This is why we have you on our walls. Your observations are brilliant and then you take the time to make a well explained post.

You will see an improvement in my next video.

Comment

• fingers
                Speed Bag Guru
                • May 2008

Really good video Vini!! you have tempted me into buying an Everlast platform to put up inside! not sure where yet though i may need some of your persuasion tips on convincing my wife though it was -1 in my garage yesterday!! time to wear the speed bag hat i think.

Comment

• ukspeedbag
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Nov 2007

Originally posted by fingers View Post
                  Really good video Vini!! you have tempted me into buying an Everlast platform to put up inside! not sure where yet though i may need some of your persuasion tips on convincing my wife though it was -1 in my garage yesterday!! time to wear the speed bag hat i think.
                  Offer to decorate the bedroom. That's the platform from outside mate, it's been -5 here.

Comment

• metaldad
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Apr 2007

Nice work on the space Vini! Great tune to punch to. Reminds of when I would come home from school and The Beatles cartoon would be on TV. They always ended the show with that song. I may not be a die hard toss my bloomers Beatles fan but there is no way I can deny their contribution to rock! "Help" remains one of the funniest movies I saw a while ago.
                    sigpic

Comment

• TJ_MaTee

• Nov 2009

Hey UK, Great Video, Great tune to bag to, very solid and nice job of linking your combos. It looks like you've got a great place to bag out of the elements! Keep up the good work. Bag On Brother!
                      T.J. MaTEE'[/U][/U] u:

Comment

• ukspeedbag
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by metaldad View Post
                        Nice work on the space Vini! Great tune to punch to. Reminds of when I would come home from school and The Beatles cartoon would be on TV. They always ended the show with that song. I may not be a die hard toss my bloomers Beatles fan but there is no way I can deny their contribution to rock! "Help" remains one of the funniest movies I saw a while ago.
                        I remember the Beatles cartoons but, I was only a toddler, I think pre school. I enjoy listening to their music plus I'm from Merseyside, their hometown. I even remember the morning when it came out over the radio that John Lennon was dead. My fathers reaction stuck with me, he was devastated.
                        Liverpool, a place I miss so much, is full of Beatles memorabilia, if anyone ever has the chance to visit the UK, then Liverpool should be on your list of visit's, it's a fantastic city.
                        Originally posted by TJ_MaTee View Post
                        Hey UK, Great Video, Great tune to bag to, very solid and nice job of linking your combos. It looks like you've got a great place to bag out of the elements! Keep up the good work. Bag On Brother!
                        Thanks brother! Merry Bagmas!

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                        Working...