• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • metaldad
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2007

Trying to keep a basic rhythm

I did this clip before getting ready for work this evevning. Lots of mistakes, but I really tried to just stick to basics and not get too fancy. Enjoy!

sigpic
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Very nicely done. You've got a little original Tichy rhythm by interpreting a bag beat differently, or hearing a different beat than "I" do. Very nice bag control on the continous double fist splits at 1:37 - 1:39. You through that with the music dead on, and made the combo sound great right there. I would have chose a different combo (I do it in my head) but yours was better actually.

You keep messing and you're gonna be a MetalDad Punch Drummer.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• spinsmashpop
      Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Yeah! Great job! You found a combo/polyrhythm that goes with the song! That is great! And that it not normal! The linking you did on both fists to fit that part of the song is a very clever move. But it makes total sense. The basic FCPs fit perfect with that song as the song is in 6/8 and that is a triplet feel; the same as FCPs on the bag... triplets....i.e. groups of three....
      But when you do 2 groups of 3's, that is 6. And another partial of 6 is 2. So you can hit 2 FCP's for a total of 6 rebounds (FCP FCP = 3 and 3 = 6)
      Or..... you can punch 3 links (front, reverse, front.... Still 6 rebounds, just 2 +2+2....6!)
      The way you did the linking and made it come right back to FCP's is by doubling all I just wrote up.
      You linked 6 times, 2 rebounds each....
      Front Rt, Reverse Rt, Front Left , reverse Left, Front Rt, Reverse Rt, 2 rebounds, 6 times.... 12 rebounds total.... and that is just like 4 FCP's...12 rebounds total!
      It is all basic math! But you picked up on it in the realm of speed bagging!
      Also, great form. Keeping the hands up at all times....
      And great split fists... you kept the same polyrhythmic vibe going for that stuff as well....
      And some great speed at the end.
      I think you have come along way in a short time. It is killer to see people really understanding the rhythm of the bag. The stuff you are doing can't really be taught if you don't hear the rhythm s like you do!
      Wizard job!
      See ya in 2 days!
      Double baggin'!
      BAGS UP!
      Oh and great blast beat speed at the end! You took the triplets up to the next rhythmic level, 16th notes.... a little laster and straighter sounding....basically fitting 4 notes in to the space where you were doing 3....

Comment

• Roc Stone
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Oct 2007

Nice 1 MD!
        sigpic'IRON HORSE, LIVE TO RIDE'

Comment

• paranday
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Sep 2009

You're a member of the band in this one. And you're singing while bagging! This is a nice example of punch drumming because you've put the spotlight on the song itself. The tricky moves support the music.

Can I have your autograph?
          Last edited by paranday; 10-28-2009, 09:15 AM.

Comment

• ukspeedbag
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Nov 2007

Metaldad, that was awesome! Your making very quick progress with the drumming.

Looking forward to more!

Comment

• Biff
              Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Looking good.

MD is getting ready for his baggin session with BT and AK in the Speed Bag Truck on Thursday. You guys post up some pix and vids.

Comment

• The Baggist
                Vert Baggin' Master
                • May 2009

Sounding Great Metaldad!!! Some nice tasteful fills. Your punch drumming is really coming together!!! Lately I've been trying to stick to basics also. Man your gonna hang with Alan and Brian, so I'm sure a lot of mysteries of bangin the bag to music will unlock themselves!!

Comment

• metaldad
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Apr 2007

Originally posted by MelloYello
                  Nice vid, kept with the beat and nailed the rolls and reverse punches. Personally I find it far more difficult to hit to music than not.
                  Thanks MY and You're totally right about it beibg difficult!! It took me five or six takes to get that song! I'm gonna eventually try some Priest just for you! I'm thinking "Electric Eye" or "Painkiller".....Painkiller might be a bit easier.

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                  Very nicely done. You've got a little original Tichy rhythm by interpreting a bag beat differently, or hearing a different beat than "I" do. Very nice bag control on the continous double fist splits at 1:37 - 1:39. You through that with the music dead on, and made the combo sound great right there. I would have chose a different combo (I do it in my head) but yours was better actually.

You keep messing and you're gonna be a MetalDad Punch Drummer.
                  Thanks Alan, I'm trying..God knows I'm itching to get better!!

Originally posted by spinsmashpop View Post
                  Yeah! Great job! You found a combo/polyrhythm that goes with the song! That is great! And that it not normal! The linking you did on both fists to fit that part of the song is a very clever move. But it makes total sense. The basic FCPs fit perfect with that song as the song is in 6/8 and that is a triplet feel; the same as FCPs on the bag... triplets....i.e. groups of three....
                  But when you do 2 groups of 3's, that is 6. And another partial of 6 is 2. So you can hit 2 FCP's for a total of 6 rebounds (FCP FCP = 3 and 3 = 6)
                  Or..... you can punch 3 links (front, reverse, front.... Still 6 rebounds, just 2 +2+2....6!)
                  The way you did the linking and made it come right back to FCP's is by doubling all I just wrote up.
                  You linked 6 times, 2 rebounds each....
                  Front Rt, Reverse Rt, Front Left , reverse Left, Front Rt, Reverse Rt, 2 rebounds, 6 times.... 12 rebounds total.... and that is just like 4 FCP's...12 rebounds total!
                  It is all basic math! But you picked up on it in the realm of speed bagging!
                  Also, great form. Keeping the hands up at all times....
                  And great split fists... you kept the same polyrhythmic vibe going for that stuff as well....
                  And some great speed at the end.
                  I think you have come along way in a short time. It is killer to see people really understanding the rhythm of the bag. The stuff you are doing can't really be taught if you don't hear the rhythm s like you do!
                  Wizard job!
                  See ya in 2 days!
                  Double baggin'!
                  BAGS UP!
                  Oh and great blast beat speed at the end! You took the triplets up to the next rhythmic level, 16th notes.... a little laster and straighter sounding....basically fitting 4 notes in to the space where you were doing 3....
                  Thanks Brian! punch Drumming music theory 101 lol!

Originally posted by Roc Stone View Post
                  Nice 1 MD!
                  Thanks brother!

Originally posted by paranday View Post
                  You're a member of the band in this one. And you're singing while bagging! This is a nice example of punch drumming because you've put the spotlight on the song itself. The tricky moves support the music.

Can I have your autograph?
                  I'm taking Alan's advice and sticking to basics, and a funny thing happened.....they were right! I was able to keep th beat a lot better!! LMAO about the autograph

Originally posted by ukspeedbag View Post
                  Metaldad, that was awesome! Your making very quick progress with the drumming.

Looking forward to more!
                  Trust me I'm itching to get to it!!

Originally posted by Biff View Post
                  Looking good.

MD is getting ready for his baggin session with BT and AK in the Speed Bag Truck on Thursday. You guys post up some pix and vids.
                  You have no idea how freakin' psyched, stoked and nervous I am to meet these guys lol!!

Originally posted by The Baggist View Post
                  Sounding Great Metaldad!!! Some nice tasteful fills. Your punch drumming is really coming together!!! Lately I've been trying to stick to basics also. Man your gonna hang with Alan and Brian, so I'm sure a lot of mysteries of bangin the bag to music will unlock themselves!!
                  This is gonna be WIZARD!!!
                  Last edited by metaldad; 10-29-2009, 08:19 AM.
                  sigpic

Comment

• riqal
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Aug 2006

Metaldad,

Now that you've had the chance to try the plastic ballhook, which do you prefer - the everlast chainlink or the plastic ballhook? What are the pros and cons of each? I continue to struggle with the decision of which swivel I want to be my permanent swivel. By the way, nice work in your video.

Comment

• Tim
                      Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by metaldad View Post
                      I did this clip before getting ready for work this evevning. Lots of mistakes, but I really tried to just stick to basics and not get too fancy. Enjoy!
                      Hey Metal Dad, that was GREAT! Good job ... sounded on beat to me.

Originally posted by riqal View Post
                      Now that you've had the chance to try the plastic ballhook, which do you prefer - the everlast chainlink or the plastic ballhook? What are the pros and cons of each? I continue to struggle with the decision of which swivel I want to be my permanent swivel. By the way, nice work in your video.
                      I've recently switched back to metal on all 3 of my platforms. I like the sound better. Also, the metal doesn't seem to exhibit the "floating" effect the plastic has at times (Where it fells like the ball is floating up in the swivel base - not sure if that's a good description - but several have noticed it).

EDIT: Just noticed you were asking about CHAIN link vs Plastic ball hook - so disregard my comments, coffee hasn't kicked in yet. I'm referring to metal and plastic ball hook swivels obviously.

Comment

• metaldad
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by riqal View Post
                        Metaldad,

thanks for the compliment. As for the swivels; I was hard core about my chain link for some time but found myself gravitating more to the somewhat , but at the same time, I experience alot of miss-hits with the ballhook(more due to the user not the swivel). I have one more swivel to compare;Alan gave me a metal ball hook that I'm gonna switch with the plastic and I'll be able to give you a better comparison.
                        sigpic

Comment

• deano
                          Australia's Elbow Wizard

• Jun 2009

getting the speedbag bull by the horns

hey Metal,every thing you do has massive improvement written all over it,allthe punching those big arms are doing is paying off,and if determination was worth
                          something , you would be a millionaire,your a real champ,keep punching and posting,deano

Comment

• metaldad
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by deano View Post
                            hey Metal,every thing you do has massive improvement written all over it,allthe punching those big arms are doing is paying off,and if determination was worth
                            something , you would be a millionaire,your a real champ,keep punching and posting,deano
                            Thanks Deano! I try to get at it at least once a day!!
                            sigpic

Comment

• novaspeedbagger
                              Speed Bag Guru
                              • Aug 2010

Seriously Improved Baggin metaldag!

Great punch-drumming metaldad! Since I haven't been around on the forum that long I'm checking out some past posts! I can see great improvement in your bagging skills from the time of this video till now! I just checked out the Kyuss punch drumming video and I see a vast improvement! Keep it Baggin MD! Great Stuff!
                              Novaspeedbagger

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...