Aspiring punch drummers - Don't miss this...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Aspiring punch drummers - Don't miss this...

When the man speaks, listen.

191 likes, 15 comments - speedbagbible on February 15, 2024: "Several short Rhythm fills on speed bag."

I'll be practicing this a bit this weekend.
  • Tim

• Jan 2006

Link to the backing track:

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

I can't punch to the backing track (yet) but here's my practice sessions today:

Sound quality is horrible. Will do a clip in the speed bag lab (aka my garage) later this week.
      Last edited by Tim; 02-18-2024, 02:23 PM.

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Found this interesting article: https://audioapartment.com/technique...-woodshedding/

It's all about woodshedding - "...The practice of spending a significant amount of time alone working diligently on perfecting one's skills, learning new pieces, or mastering challenging aspects of one's instrument or music theory"

Lots of parallels to the bag:
        • Deep dive, deliberate practice - I keep a list of moves that I work in every bagging session. As I figure one out, I move it to the bottom of the list and another at the top. For example, these rhythm fills are now at the top of the list. It's how I start (and end) every practice session.
        • Using metronomes to develop rhythm. Not seen here, but I do use a metronome app on my iphone / ipad when I'm in the garage
        • Recording devices to evaluate progress

Comment

• Speedbag
          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Tim View Post
          Found this interesting article: https://audioapartment.com/technique...-woodshedding/

It's all about woodshedding - "...The practice of spending a significant amount of time alone working diligently on perfecting one's skills, learning new pieces, or mastering challenging aspects of one's instrument or music theory"

Lots of parallels to the bag:
          • Deep dive, deliberate practice - I keep a list of moves that I work in every bagging session. As I figure one out, I move it to the bottom of the list and another at the top. For example, these rhythm fills are now at the top of the list. It's how I start (and end) every practice session.
          • Using metronomes to develop rhythm. Not seen here, but I do use a metronome app on my iphone / ipad when I'm in the garage
          • Recording devices to evaluate progress
          Excellent advice. I suggest structuring a a workout with (1) warm up, (2) learning mode. work on several new techniques or combinations You really cannot do. Maybe two or three at most, each for 15-20minutes. This can be very frustrating when you are humbled back to a beginner. (3) training mode. Doing what you DO know how to do, for fun, fitness or punch drumming.
          IF you like working on Punch Drumming - focus on more on the SOUNDS your combinations make - beat patterns - more than the techniques use to create them. I also suggest for punch drumming (and beat control) your practice what I call "echo combinations", ...creating a beat pattern of two or three techniques, then use other techniques to create that SAME beat pattern. Try to start your pattern from the front, the reverse and the side - then learn to flow to all of them without stopping, keeping the SAME beat pattern but moving your hands all around the bag.

Most of All - have fun.
          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
          Working...