Clear All
  • Antwan
    • Mar 2021

Havana Jesse Cook - punch drumming

Took a little time out from social media and stuff, but never from the bag

New song i discoverd from Jesse...
  • DizzyD
    • Jun 2020

Have seen this on IG already, but it’s worth watching it a second or third time. Beautiful performance, nice moves and accented punches! Well done! …and that Jesse Cook songs are made for the bag. Love to hit to his music!

Comment

• dad
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Dec 2018

Originally posted by DizzyD View Post
      Have seen this on IG already, but it’s worth watching it a second or third time. Beautiful performance, nice moves and accented punches! Well done! …and that Jesse Cook songs are made for the bag. Love to hit to his music!
      Expressed every one of my thoughts but said it better than I could have. Looking forward to more.

Comment

• Antwan
        • Mar 2021

Thx and yes Jesse's music is made for punch drumming!!!

Comment

• Speedbag
          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Jesse Cook s a must Punch Drum performer. Love his music AND this performance! Very nice syncopation combos and stops to let music solo. #PunchDumPerfection.

Look out Dizzy, he's coming for ya!
          Last edited by Speedbag; 12-26-2021, 05:45 PM.
          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Antwan
            • Mar 2021

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
            Jesse iCook s a must Punnch Drum performer. Love his music AND this performance! Very nice syncopation combos and stops to let music solo. #PunchDumPerfection.

Yes i think so too, Jesse's tracks are like coming home for punch drumming.
            You're in the flow almost immediately with his tracks.

Thank you for the kind words, punch drumming makes bagging that little bit more addictive

Comment

• Speedbag
              Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Antwan View Post
              Took a little time out from social media and stuff, but never from the bag

New song i discoverde from Jesse...
              boxing, speedbag, bible style, speedball, shoulder exercise, workout, belgium, music, jesse cook, punch drumming, art of the bag, mma, kickboxing, fight

Since Punch Drumming is really taking off and we have some awesome drummers in our mist, I'll take a deeper dive into this performance and explain how "I" watch a speed bag / punch drum video. Just some things that I notice and perhaps show how to analyze the non-stop repetitive bag beats. It does really help to know/understand the techniques from The Speed Bag Bible for it gives you a base to start picking it out the individual movements and notice some personal variations by the bagger in question.. Keep in mind, you have have a lot of speed bag techniques occur in one second, because it happens quick.

So here is what I see.

0:51sec Side to Single Punch Split Fist (very difficult to control)
              1:12 A "Triple Triple" combo: Three Triple Elbow strikes S-TES ' ' S-TES ' ' D-TES (one of my favorites)
              1:15 Out & Down 4way Elbow strike (original variation and creative use of that technique IMO)
              1:18 Nice 4 punch "Chop Fist" combo in front of the bag
              1:26 again, Side Single Split fist
              1:44 OUT & IN 4-way (really nice here with dead-on beat.)
              1:45 - 1:46 nice Fist Roll variation with upward rolling (very difficult to control)
              1:51 - 1:53 Clever Phantom Punching with Double bump off elbow
              2:20 Nice phantom punching combo
              2:26 cute open hand SSP with right hand, index finger out
              2:42 - Dead on Emphasis Punch Combo RSP ' ' ' ' FCP to back of bag.
              2:50 - 2:53 nice phantom combo to Downward triple ES to - Double Bump off the outward Right Elbow of the Outward Triple ES
              2:58 to 3:00 Must be some Brad Bachmann space fist combo. Looks like Double punching Combo with Lead fist hitting Sides of bag. Never seen that
              3:05 - 3:06 very nice triplets moving fists around the bag.
              3:13 - 3:14 - very nice double bumping elbows during phantom punching combo. Very difficult

3:29 - 3:31 Unique variation of phantom punching. nice flow.

All told, a Brilliant performance.

I did NOT see a "Double Time" Double Punching Combination, which I hear a lot in my head when drumming, but just my own favorite because it usually the Fastest combination to any song.

FDP ' ' RDP or FDP ' ' RDP ' ' SDP ' ' SDP.

Hope this helps.

Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
              *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
              The Quest Continues...
              Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Antwan
                • Mar 2021

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post

boxing, speedbag, bible style, speedball, shoulder exercise, workout, belgium, music, jesse cook, punch drumming, art of the bag, mma, kickboxing, fight

Since Punch Drumming is really taking off and we have some awesome drummers in our mist, I'll take a deeper dive into this performance and explain how "I" watch a speed bag / punch drum video. Just some things that I notice and perhaps show how to analyze the non-stop repetitive bag beats. It does really help to know/understand the techniques from The Speed Bag Bible for it gives you a base to start picking it out the individual movements and notice some personal variations by the bagger in question.. Keep in mind, you have have a lot of speed bag techniques occur in one second, because it happens quick.

So here is what I see.

0:51sec Side to Single Punch Split Fist (very difficult to control)
                1:12 A "Triple Triple" combo: Three Triple Elbow strikes S-TES ' ' S-TES ' ' D-TES (one of my favorites)
                1:15 Out & Down 4way Elbow strike (original variation and creative use of that technique IMO)
                1:18 Nice 4 punch "Chop Fist" combo in front of the bag
                1:26 again, Side Single Split fist
                1:44 OUT & IN 4-way (really nice here with dead-on beat.)
                1:45 - 1:46 nice Fist Roll variation with upward rolling (very difficult to control)
                1:51 - 1:53 Clever Phantom Punching with Double bump off elbow
                2:20 Nice phantom punching combo
                2:26 cute open hand SSP with right hand, index finger out
                2:42 - Dead on Emphasis Punch Combo RSP ' ' ' ' FCP to back of bag.
                2:50 - 2:53 nice phantom combo to Downward triple ES to - Double Bump off the outward Right Elbow of the Outward Triple ES
                2:58 to 3:00 Must be some Brad Bachmann space fist combo. Looks like Double punching Combo with Lead fist hitting Sides of bag. Never seen that
                3:05 - 3:06 very nice triplets moving fists around the bag.
                3:13 - 3:14 - very nice double bumping elbows during phantom punching combo. Very difficult

3:29 - 3:31 Unique variation of phantom punching. nice flow.

All told, a Brilliant performance.

I did NOT see a "Double Time" Double Punching Combination, which I hear a lot in my head when drumming, but just my own favorite because it usually the Fastest combination to any song.

FDP ' ' RDP or FDP ' ' RDP ' ' SDP ' ' SDP.

Hope this helps.
                Thx for taking the time for this, it's amazing you can tell every move i do.
                I got a couple of moves i know i want to do and all the rest is just improvising.

The combo you see me do at 2:58 - 3:00 is indeed something i saw from Brad.
                I saw him teaching in an uploaded video from someone while he was showing at the gathering this year.
                I don't know who named it this way ( i think it was Jeff Trasher ) but i know it as the "houdini" difficult ( for me it was ) to control but once i got it down i found it fitted very good for punch drumming!
                I start it with my right hand hitting the back of the bag from a 45degree angle let it hit once and immediately hit it with my left hand also on the right but from the front at a 45degree angle and repeat on the other side. Like making an X with your fists.

And yes the double time combinations is something i have not used much, i'll keep it in mind and practice it.
                I strive to get my move set as mixed as possible.

Appreciate it alot for taking the time, it helps alot!
                I watched every single video you uploaded on youtube about punch drumming more then once

Comment

• DizzyD
                  • Jun 2020

Jesse Cook s a must Punch Drum performer. Love his music AND this performance! Very nice syncopation combos and stops to let music solo. #PunchDumPerfection.

He has already overtaken and is far far away so can’t see him anymore. No joke, if you just look at the number and skill-level of the combinations you broke down Alan, than everyone can see that Antwan has become a true punch-drumming master!

I’m at the moment working on Tempest by Jesse Cook and hope I can continue after the holidays. What I can already tell right now, there won’t be half of the combinations in there Antwan has shown.

As I said before, we’ll done mate!

Comment

• Antwan
                    • Mar 2021

He has already overtaken and is far far away so can’t see him anymore. No joke, if you just look at the number and skill-level of the combinations you broke down Alan, than everyone can see that Antwan has become a true punch-drumming master!

I’m at the moment working on Tempest by Jesse Cook and hope I can continue after the holidays. What I can already tell right now, there won’t be half of the combinations in there Antwan has shown.

As I said before, we’ll done mate!
                    You're to kind Dizzy!!!
                    i've gotten better but wouldn't say i'm past your level of bagging/drumming, each in our own way!!

Maybe it's an idea with your video editing skills we could one day make a drum session together

Thx man and Alan too, means alot!!
                    Enjoy the holidays....

Comment

• DizzyD
                      • Jun 2020

Maybe it's an idea with your video editing skills we could one day make a drum session together
                      I’d really love to do that!

Comment

• dad
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Dec 2018

I’d really love to do that!
                        Not as much as we'd like to see it. Go for it guys.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                        Working...