X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Antwan
    • Mar 2021

Just playing

Just practicing wit headphones and music.
    added the track i was listening to the video just for funs.
    This is the result...
    Skills are not even close to.good enough for drumming, but you got to start somwhere
  • dad
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Dec 2018

Nice job Antwan, keep those video's coming.

Comment

• DizzyD
      • Jun 2020

Mate that’s some serious action. Really good! Keep going!

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Antwan View Post
        Just practicing wit headphones and music.
        added the track i was listening to the video just for funs.
        This is the result...
        Skills are not even close to.good enough for drumming, but you got to start somwhere
        Hey Antwan, I would disagree about your skills "not being good enough for drumming." NOT TRUE.

Truth is....anyone can punch drum with the basic rhythm and you are far past that. Of course you can look at Chapter 11 where I put down some thoughts on hitting to music.

But there is an "ART" to Punch Drumming and the key is learning the "SOUNDS" or "BEAT" of the techniques and combinations (see "syncopated combinations"). The Key to better punch drumming is focusing on the SOUND of the bag and not doing "fancy combinations" to the song. Sure it might be cool speed bagging but from a punch drumming perspective if the sound of that combination is "off" to the music....it's just fancy speed bagging with music in the background. Of course that's fun to do, and I see a ton of baggers doing that now on instagram...but they are off beat almost half the time...That tells me they are focusing on doing that newest, fancy speed bag combinations, ...like that cool reverse direction fist roll or phantom punching combo, or double bumping elbow,..and it's great bagging, just off beat. in Actual Punch Drumming, the SOUND of the bag beat, and making it complement the music if way more important the the combinations that create it. One great method to learn to control your bag beat is punch to a metronome. there's a ton of them on youtube,..... and try to do the "echo rhythms" in chapter 11 to a metronome. ALL of them can be used (that's why I put them in there..) and they will help train you to "hear a beat in your head and reproduce it no matter where your hands are around the bag.

In that song you are hitting to, which is pretty slow, I can easily hear "straight time" and "Double Time" possibilities. Tap your foot directly "ON" the beat .... and then tap it in "double time" or twice as fast. You can do just the basic rhythm to that, slow and fast. The "syncopated combination" speed will be inbetween them. I notice you are using the single fist pass through as your "home rhythm" of the song. that is fine. I also suggest you begin to learn the six punch combo I call "5-1" because it works great for syncopated combinations and offers a LOT of variety and change points. Actually a six beat melody over 4 beats is very common in music, especially Latin music. Anyway, Here are a few demo's of that. (you'll see it in many of my videos..)

Tribal Dance

Mission Impossible. (Junior Hard Mix) (notice at 3:09 I started this with RSP for one sequence (RSPx5 ' ' FCP) and on the next sequence I changed sides "during the combination" Notice the first punch hits on beat 1 of the measure (the down beat) and I keep the same pattern going but change sides of the bag, moving it to the front. You do that by double punching on the side you are going to and just keep the pattern. The second fist of the double punch hits "on the beat" to keep you on-beat, ...So I did: RSP ' 'FDP ' ' ' FCP ' ' ' FCP ' ' FCP ' ' RSP...

Mortal combat (:46 second) Notice I started this with RSP and changed sides to front. notice I did FDP to do that. You can also change it to the back same way by doing RDP.
        This works from punch 1,2,3 and 4. You can change sides on any of them.

Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• dad
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Dec 2018

Antwan, is there any question why the man is called the "KING"

Comment

• Antwan
            • Mar 2021

Originally posted by dad View Post
            Antwan, is there any question why the man is called the "KING"
            Without a doubt

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
            Working...