• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jaja6009
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Dec 2016

Originally posted by speedbagnoob View Post
    I like the Everlast heavybag with the speed bag bundle. But as you can probably tell from my username, I almost never use the speedbag. The speedbag is a little lacking if you compare it with some Title's but it works.

Here's a good review of the bundle if anyone is interested in it:

http://mmalife.com/everlast-dual-sta...-stand-review/
    We have that platform at one of the stations at work. Just like the review says the speed bag part is flimsy and offers no bounce. For speed bag use it would need a lot of mods.

Comment

• RKahn
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Dec 2017

Heavy bag comments by RKahn

Hi. I see this thread started in 2013 but was commented on a month or two ago. As to heavy bags, which I have hit as hard as I can with hands and legs tens of thousands of times over the decades, I might make a couple suggestions with deference to those already made.
      1. If it's for a 150 lb person, I'd suggest a 100 pound bag should be fine.
      2. If you want an indent so you can upper cut, they make that kind. It looks almost like a ladies figure. I never used that but have seen ladies doing so.
      3. I no longer have feeling in my shins and the tops of my feet from the heavy bag. And I tore the bottoms of my feet off multiple times in martial arts sparring training so I essentially can't feel there either. SO.... the key is, use protection. Meaning, "feet" and "shins", taped. So you get protection in the roundhouse and crescents. If you are shovel, side, axe, thrust, etc., kicking, I wear martial arts shoes. Proper hand wrapping, tape around the writs and some knuckle protection is a must in my opinion.
      4. If you plan to hit as hard as you physically can, be aware of (3 above) and know that you can experience compression injuries in your wrists, crack bones in your upper feet and injure elbows. I have sustained many of these over the years. As I get older they can act up.
      5. Be VERY careful with the head butts. Start gently, wear head gear. Remember to hit across the top ridge of the forehead. Very thick bone. Be careful not to get a cervical spine injury.
      6. Before you really put power into a reverse ridgehand to a heavy bag, remember to keep the elbows bent. If you hit straight HARD you can actually break and/or injury your elbow in that move.
      7. Work the heel palm strikes. These are good to use in real combat too.
      8. BAG RECOMMENDATIONS: I suggest a heavy bag with an embedded ring at the bottom. You can connect this with a bungee (or several) to an Everlast 50 pound base bag (for home use) and fill that with sand. They sell them on the web for about $21.
      9. I like a double cleated punch/kick bag. It's round, has a bungee from the top and the bottom and it allows for good aim. It's very hard to punch and kick a moving target in real fighting, so this is a great way to target what I call the sweet spots (frontal chin, mastoid, temple, groin, collar bones, and soft targets on the body). Believe it or not, getting used to having excellent aim is one of the things speed bagging is good for.
      10. If you don't hit like a beast, there are some free standing stands you can buy. Put weights or sand bags (in the everlasts) on the feet so it doesn't move around too much. Hard hitters (like me) need solid steel supports and drilled anchors into the ground. Nothing works like I beams, 250 pound bags secured by chain with spring cleats if you want to get used to breaking bones. (Yours and the other guys

Hope this isn't too much, too late and of course I defer to those whose great comments were already made. I don't have my kids train on heavy bags. I use the heavy pads a person can hold and wear. The damage to a punchers body that can occur from prolonged usage of the heavy bag (take it from me) is overkill. It worked for me in the fight game but later I was sorry for that excessive training (as I mentioned long standing injuries above). Go easy and build up. Doing 100 pushups in sets before hand helps punching power too.

Comment

• A.Collard
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Aug 2019

I've got two bags that I used, both of them are heavy bags (about to get my first speed bag).

The first one I got was a free standing bag as I was very anxious to hang my own bag. I'm not the most DIY kind of guy, so I thought I'd keep it simple at first. I actually really like it, it's called the Century Wavemaster XXL and it's pretty darn big. I found some other good options on a site called MMA Station, however I've only used and can only recommend the XXL by Century.

The next bag I got, which actually has the loop on the bottom to anchor the bag down is Everlast Nevatear 100lb bag, although I've never used the anchor function, I imagine it can be pretty helpful. Again, i didn't want to attach the bag to a wall or ceiling, so I got the heavy bag in a bundle with a stand which was very good value for money - you do have to weigh the stand down though otherwise it can move around whilst your hitting the bag, and I don't even have that much power.
        Last edited by Tim; 08-28-2019, 05:17 AM. Reason: Removed spammy link

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
        Working...