• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LouisvilleBagr
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Jun 2019

Heavy Bag Collection

Greetings, hope all are safe!

I'm sure my speed bag pals are sick of me going on and on about heavy bags. I figured I'd start a thread, in case anyone is interested?

I acquired the brown Everlast PRO horse hide bag today. I'd say that's the crown jewel. I dont know much about its history, but let me tell you.....its amazing! Maybe Dutchman knows when that were using horse hide?

This is the evolving TV room/bagging room currently. That's the Everlast factory filled PRO horse hide 100lb, Contender factory filled 150lb and the Title leather 100lb, that I opened up and added 20ish pounds to. That's a Title Classic 100lb on the floor. There is also a 100lb water bag hanging outside in the screened in porch.
    Attached Files
  • glorenzo
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Mar 2020

Excellent collection! I am jealous of that Everlast! Someone needs to write a Heavy Bag Bible.

Comment

• LouisvilleBagr
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Jun 2019

Originally posted by glorenzo View Post
      Excellent collection! I am jealous of that Everlast! Someone needs to write a Heavy Bag Bible.
      I'm jealous of that Everlast horse hide too and I own it!

I've never felt or smelled anything like it. Really thick horse hide, but soft as a baby's bottom. I've been hitting, rubbing and touching it all morning. I wish you guys/gals could smell my fingers

Comment

• Dutchman
        Speed Bag Historian
        • Jun 2006

Originally posted by LouisvilleBagr View Post

I'm sure my speed bag pals are sick of me going on and on about heavy bags. I figured I'd start a thread, in case anyone is interested?

I acquired the brown Everlast PRO horse hide bag today. I'd say that's the crown jewel. I dont know much about its history, but let me tell you.....its amazing! Maybe Dutchman knows when that were using horse hide?

This is the evolving TV room/bagging room currently. That's the Everlast factory filled PRO horse hide 100lb, Contender factory filled 150lb and the Title leather 100lb, that I opened up and added 20ish pounds to. That's a Title Classic 100lb on the floor. There is also a 100lb water bag hanging outside in the screened in porch.
        I never developed an interest in using the heavy bag, as opposed to the speed bag and double end bag. However a quick check of my Everlast catalog archives I found that they were still offering the horsehide heavy bag into the 1980's. This was part of their Professional line of equipment. I would surmise, however, that they offered this from at least the 1950's up until the sale of the company.

Comment

• LouisvilleBagr
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Jun 2019

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post

I never developed an interest in using the heavy bag, as opposed to the speed bag and double end bag. However a quick check of my Everlast catalog archives I found that they were still offering the horsehide heavy bag into the 1980's. This was part of their Professional line of equipment. I would surmise, however, that they offered this from at least the 1950's up until the sale of the company.
          Always grateful and amazed at your knowledge. Thanks for the insight. I also prefer speed bags, but really nice leather heavy bags also all have their own personality. I enjoy hitting them and hunting for them. And hey, they look super cool hanging down here in the TV/baggin room!

I’m not sure if there is a serial number on it anywhere to possibly get a date? I know I’ve seen old pics of Ali and other greats hitting a bag that looks to be the same model, although I’m sure it’s no where near that old.
          Last edited by LouisvilleBagr; 03-29-2020, 01:23 PM.

Comment

• Mickey Dix
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Jul 2019

Click image for larger version

Name:	493D9220-E287-4237-BA3C-0D920D34FA53.jpeg
Views:	468
Size:	2.43 MB
ID:	120285
            Originally posted by glorenzo View Post
            Hi glorenzo and welcome to the forum. Here I have a Everlast 70 pound heavy bag.I have not hit it in quite awhile It seems to be a little ruff on my shoulders and joints now that I am older. Reyes has a good lighter heavy bag about 35 pounds and soft that I am interested in hanging in the summer when I get my garage cleaned out.

Comment

• Mickey Dix
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Jul 2019

Originally posted by LouisvilleBagr View Post

Very impressive collection Louisville Bagger.I have a collection of 1but thinking of picking up my game with a softer Reyes bag. Could you give me any recommendations on a heavy bag that is kinda soft to hit so I can save my joints and shoulders? Thanks - Mickey

Comment

• LouisvilleBagr
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Jun 2019

Originally posted by Mickey Dix View Post

Very impressive collection Louisville Bagger.I have a collection of 1but thinking of picking up my game with a softer Reyes bag. Could you give me any recommendations on a heavy bag that is kinda soft to hit so I can save my joints and shoulders? Thanks - Mickey
                Hi Mick, I'll be happy to share my limited knowledge.

that 150 lb 48x16 factory filled Contender bag I got on Amazon for $139 delivered. That's not a typo....$139! The price jumped to $229 the very next day, but that is still the best value for a prefilled leather bag out there currently. They are Amazon Prime eligible. The 150lb is VERY soft. It would be easy on your joints.

The Contender is the only one I ordered new. The Title leather is nice, not hard, but not nearly as soft as the Contender. The Title Classic 100lb is the hardest factory filled I have by far.

I have a 100lb water filled tear drop shaped heavy bag that is also easy on the joints, you could explore that option as well.

I've never hit a Cleto, but I see they are pricey. I assume the quality of their heavy bags is on par with their speed bags....excellent.

Stay away from current Everlast models. They are of poor quality and the sand bags will burst or settle on the outside of the bag creating dangerous hard spots.

If you want to put some work in and make the softest bag possible, buy the size you want (if you can swing it go with leather) unfilled. You can fill it yourself in several ways and make it as hard or soft as you like. I've done this a couple times. I must warn you it is labor intensive cutting up enough cloth or clothing into small enough pieces to make the bag consistent.

Hope this info helps a bit? If you have any more questions or want to discuss ways to fill heavy bags, feel free to PM me.
                Last edited by LouisvilleBagr; 03-30-2020, 01:54 PM.

Comment

• Mickey Dix
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Jul 2019

Thanks LouisvilleBagr for your experience and knowledge of heavy bags. I appreciate all the information and it will come in handy when I do hang some heavy bags in the summer.Filling my own heavy bag might be a nice little project now. Thanks again- Mickey

Comment

• Zaz
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Sep 2018

Very nice collection! Your Everlast PRO horse hide heavy bag seems to be in perfect condition. I'm sure it will gain a lot of value over the years.

Comment

• Zaz
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Sep 2018

Originally posted by Mickey Dix View Post

I would recommend the Combat Sports Double-End Heavy Bag. It weight 45 pound. A sort of hybrid between a heavy bag and a double end bag. I have one and its very soft and a lot cheaper than the Cleto Reyes Heavy bag. I am very satisfied with it and if you read the reviews on Amazon you'll see that i'm not alone.

https://www.amazon.com/Combat-Sports...5827039&sr=8-1

Comment

• Mickey Dix
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Jul 2019

Thanks Zaz for the information.The Combat sports bag has a nice shape. The bottom of the bag has a nice area for uppercuts.The reviews were all real positive.It is definitely a bag I will consider.

Comment

• Zaz
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Sep 2018

You're welcome Mickey. I forgot to mention that i bought it to practice uppercuts in the first place.

Comment

• crawforde
                            Speed Bag Trainee
                            • Jul 2009

I’m looking at that bag, or the similar bag offered by Ring to Cage, or the Combat Sports teardrop bag.
                            My long leather heavy bag is wonderful, but I need something for uppercuts and movement.
                            that teardrop is all leather and can be ordered unfilled.
                            so tempting. I wish I had room for them all!

Comment

• crawforde
                              Speed Bag Trainee
                              • Jul 2009

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...