• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pegasos
    • Feb 2007

Some hook practice

..a bit of heavy bag practice

made an account in youtube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
  • dmccjr
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Apr 2008

Nice bag, how many lbs. is it and did you set that up in your living room dude? What kind of bag gloves do you use?

Comment

• Pegasos
      • Feb 2007

Its about 50lbs, filled with old clothes (not sand). It's a living room yes, but there are two in the apartment and i sleep in the other one.... the gloves are "Go n' Get" (they re a bit torn in the inside...)!
      Last edited by Pegasos; 04-12-2008, 10:48 PM.

Comment

• dmccjr
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Apr 2008

Nice never knew you could fill it up that way. Just a question, since you said you live in an apartment what is the latest you tend to hit the bag, just to keep mindful of the neighbors, I tend to stop by 9pm M-F, and on weekends don't start up until about 9am or so and will always end almost any session at 9pm as well. I just ordered a speed bag platform and speedbag and hope my neighbors don't complain of the noise level. Do you have any such issues?

Comment

• Pegasos
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by dmccjr View Post
          Nice never knew you could fill it up that way. Just a question, since you said you live in an apartment what is the latest you tend to hit the bag, just to keep mindful of the neighbors, I tend to stop by 9pm M-F, and on weekends don't start up until about 9am or so and will always end almost any session at 9pm as well. I just ordered a speed bag platform and speedbag and hope my neighbors don't complain of the noise level. Do you have any such issues?

Well actually i live in Greece, and we have some standard times according to a law, that are considered "resting time" or as it is called here "hours of public quietness". These are roughly from 14:00-14:30 to 17:00 and from 23:00 to 08:00 in the morning for every day. Any other time one can do any kind of noise whatsoever without problem. I mean, if a neighbor is irritated during the resting hours, he/she can call the police and you are guilty of disrupting the public quietude, but this is a bit unlikely usually, it must be a really mean neighbor or you must have been doing something really wrong. For example, if i listen to music moderately during the resting hours, it's ok, if i start drilling the wall or some metal material, it's not.

This 50 year old apartment is in the center of a large city and the room with the bag has a terrible creaking of the wooden floor by simply walking on it. But, on the upper floor lives a couple that has began its one way trip to paradise (they are over 80) and have more than likely began to lose their hearing ability (they ve told me themselves). And in the other neighboring apartments live mostly university students and old people so no major irritation is likely to be caused to any of them. I often workout at times like 4:00 to 6:00 in the morning if i happen to be awake and there is no problem.

As you can see our current conditions of living and environments may be very different in essence. Probably you are the only one to decide what to do exactly with your practicing times, after weighting all the factors involved....

Comment

• dmccjr
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Apr 2008

Thanks Pegasos, its funny how similar and actually how different customs and standards are in one's own home nation. I appreciate the reply and good luck with the training, ciao.

Comment

• Tim
              Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Looks pretty good. I'm not really qualified to give anyone advice on boxing technique, but you may want to try some combinations next, ...so "hook off the jab" ... throw a jab, then follow with a lead hand hook. Or do a 1-2-3, which is a jab, a straight right, then a lead hand hook. Also I noticed you reached out and stopped the bag with your hand a couple of times... practice using your jab or straight to get it to stop moving, or try to hit it while moving.

I think punching (heavy bag or DE bag) is some of the best fun you can have in the gym (or your apartment as the case may be)
              Last edited by Tim; 04-13-2008, 12:56 PM.

Comment

• Pegasos
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                Looks pretty good. I'm not really qualified to give anyone advice on boxing technique, but you may want to try some combinations next, ...so "hook off the jab" ... throw a jab, then follow with a lead hand hook. Or do a 1-2-3, which is a jab, a straight right, then a lead hand hook. Also I noticed you reached out and stopped the bag with your hand a couple of times... practice using your jab or straight to get it to stop moving, or try to hit it while moving.

I think punching (heavy bag or DE bag) is some of the best fun you can have in the gym (or your apartment as the case may be)

Actually, i have almost an "obsession" with the left hook, i can throw it at a large distance, without even twisting the left leg, getting the power from the waist alone and it seems like it's going by itself, it does not tire me to throw it. I practice some combinations of my own invention, like the continuous immediate 'left hook to head-to liver' and what i call the 'left hook to head-right hook or uppercut to spleen'!

As for your advice,i have some questions, what do you mean by a 'lead hand hook'? You mean using the 'lead' hand, like the strongest one?

The bag moving has been a little problem sometimes, i already discussed with other members here about these bag anchors, but today i got what i need, i prepared two special packages of sand, and will connect them to the bags (since ordering the anchors from America costs much more in shipping than the actual products' value as i have found out..)

A moving bag could count for simulation of an actual opponent, but a still bag gives better resistance.

Here are the packages, one is about 35 libs, the other about 70, the weights suggested for double end and heavy bag anchors respectively!

Comment

• toolboxdiver
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Pegasos View Post
                  ..a bit of heavy bag practice

made an account in youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpwBobm-hSo
                  You need to dip, tilt your elbow up then throw the hook. Your dropping your left way too low before throwing the hook. The hook is a devistating punch if thrown correctly. Try working it off a right cross or a right oppercut your body will be in a better position to follow up with a hook. You could also try fainting a jab, slipping then come off with a hook. Hope this helps.

Comment

• Pegasos
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by toolboxdiver View Post
                    You need to dip, tilt your elbow up then throw the hook. Your dropping your left way too low before throwing the hook. The hook is a devistating punch if thrown correctly. Try working it off a right cross or a right oppercut your body will be in a better position to follow up with a hook. You could also try fainting a jab, slipping then come off with a hook. Hope this helps.

Hmm, i m not sure what it means to "tilt the elbow up" you mean like a short pause when the elbow is holding back, right before the hand expands to throwing the hook??

And when you say "working it off a right cross", does that mean throwing it in a combination right after a right cross?

Comment

• toolboxdiver
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Jan 2008

Hmm, i m not sure what it means to "tilt the elbow up" you mean like a short pause when the elbow is holding back, right before the hand expands to throwing the hook??

And when you say "working it off a right cross", does that mean throwing it in a combination right after a right cross?
                      Here is a video I found, notice how after the right his weight is shifted from the back leg to the front leg and his body position is ready to throw a hook to the body followed by a hook to the head.

redwood showing a double left hook combination. Pivot on the left foot. Hands come back to the chin.

You can also see how his weight is shifted to the lead foot before the hook is thrown. It is where the power of that punch comes from.
                      Hope this makes it more clear, and good luck

Comment

• Speedbag
                        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

I like the title boxing teaching clips, for they cover the basics of position and technique pretty well.

In this clip, notice in the first half of the Left Hook Tutorial how high his elbow is when throwing a head high left hook. "Tilting the elbow up" is meant to say keeping the elbow at a high angle for a head high hook.
                        at :24 secs the the teacher says: " he has flipped his shoulder over.." notice the position of his left elbow.

You will see later in this video that for a left hook to the body, the elbow is held lower. In both cases, the power comes from the hips and body being slightly ahead of the punch.

By a "lead hand hook" is meant, from a standard boxing stance with your left leg forward, your left arm is forward, and this is the called the "front" or "lead" hand. If you are a "southpaw" then you would have the right leg and right hand forward, so the right would be our "lead hand".

But for punching combinations, the "lead" hand is usually the first punch in the combination, which could be a left or right. For instance, a boxer in a standard left leg/left arm front stance might start a 4-punch combination with the Right fist, or he might start it with a left fist. Most boxers start various combinations with a "lead jab" and work the rest off that. But some will favor a "right lead" to throw the opponent off.

Hope this helps.
                        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                        The Quest Continues...
                        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                        Working...