• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • skiptomylue
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Apr 2007

bag gloves vs boxing gloves

Should you use bag gloves or 14oz,16oz boxing gloes when using a heavy bag? what are the advantages? Which do you perfer?
  • Kyle
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Nov 2006

use bag gloves unless u dont plan on ever using the boxing gloves to box or spar becuz the bag will make the boxing gloves real hard i have separate gloves for sparate activities. but if u dont plan on ever boxing or sparring i deffinalty prefer boxing gloves just feel better to me but ur running the risk of ruining them becuz they are not deignd to hit the bag. hope this helps
    ________
    Last edited by Tim; 11-28-2021, 06:39 PM. Reason: spam link removed

Comment

• Clint
      • Apr 2007

I prefer good quality 16 oz hook and loop training gloves. I like the extra hand protection they offer (I always wrap also, or use Evergel gloves inside the training glove) and I like the extra weight of the gloves for their aerobic effect.

If I could get a hold of 20 oz gloves, I'd probably use them also. Most bag gloves are about 4 oz. If you're wrapped well, hold your fist correctly, and punch on the correct part of your knuckles, then they're ok. Most people I know do prefer the bag gloves though. I agree with Nesticles about not using the gloves on the bags and to spar. A good quality glove won't get too hard from working on the bag, but the surface can get abraded and uneven.

Comment

• Roscoe
        • May 2006

Glubs

Originally posted by Clint View Post
        I prefer good quality 16 oz hook and loop training gloves. I like the extra hand protection they offer (I always wrap also, or use Evergel gloves inside the training glove) and I like the extra weight of the gloves for their aerobic effect.

If I could get a hold of 20 oz gloves, I'd probably use them also. Most bag gloves are about 4 oz. If you're wrapped well, hold your fist correctly, and punch on the correct part of your knuckles, then they're ok. Most people I know do prefer the bag gloves though. I agree with Nesticles about not using the gloves on the bags and to spar. A good quality glove won't get too hard from working on the bag, but the surface can get abraded and uneven.
        Clint,

What brand gloves do you use?

Roscoe

Comment

• hispanicmakingpanic
          • May 2007

bag gloves vs boxing gloves

I agree with Clint, the heavier the better. Not only does it offer more aerobically, but the hand protection offered by 16 oz. gloves will save your hands from jarring. I also own two pair of Ringside Mexican style 16 oz gloves that I only use to spar with. They are perfectly molded to fit your fist and promote power, but I never use them on the bag. I used to hit the bag barefisted and would not recommend it due to the stress put on the wrists.

Comment

• Clint
            • Apr 2007

Hi Roscoe,

Over here in Hong Kong it's easiest to get gloves made by the Muay Thai companies. These are the two pair I use right now. Twins and King. Both 16 oz. Like HMP says, I like the wrist support from the wrist cuffs. The Twins cuffs are really stiff. The quality of the Thai gloves is fantastic and at about $40 U.S. I can't beat the price. You wouldn't believe the colors and styles available in these things. From 4 - 16 oz.

Comment

• Chris M
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Mar 2006

My boxing coach is a big Muai Thai guy and he swears by the Twins brand.

Comment

• Kyle
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Nov 2006

ya i herd Twins is amazing to
                ________
                Head shop
                Last edited by Kyle; 09-11-2011, 06:25 AM.

Comment

• Clint
                  • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Chris M View Post
                  My boxing coach is a big Muai Thai guy and he swears by the Twins brand.
                  I'm not into Muay Thai but yeah their gloves are amazing. I've tried four brands. Twins, Windy (same company, different brands) King, and Fairtex. Wish I still had the Fairtex. Lost 'em. Best pair I've had.

Comment

• Chris M
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Clint View Post
                    I'm not into Muay Thai but yeah their gloves are amazing. I've tried four brands. Twins, Windy (same company, different brands) King, and Fairtex. Wish I still had the Fairtex. Lost 'em. Best pair I've had.
                    Now that you mention it, he does have a bunch of Fairtex stuff too.

Comment

• hispanicmakingpanic
                      • May 2007

Agreed. I own two pair of windy shinguards and I swear by them. i wouldn't dare spar without them due to my chicken legs!

Comment

• jaguiler
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Jan 2007

hmmm reading this makes me think I should get a pair of good gloves....
                        I have the neoprene ones, and I like them.... but I would also like to try 16oz. Ihave a H20 Everlast bag...so the water is pretty soft on the hands... but I make my living with computers so the more protection the better

Comment

• hispanicmakingpanic
                          • May 2007

Water bag

I envy you. Water bags IMO are the closest thing to punching a human. I have one, but it is stationary and I really don't use it for that reason. I used to own a cheap brand water bag and when I would land a power shot the water would shift and make a thunderous sound. Very forgiving on the hands as well. You oughta post a vid and let me see that bad boy.

Comment

• jaguiler
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Jan 2007

without any formal training, I fear my video would be a joke.... but I assure you the bag feels great.... just hope if does not spring a leak one day...

I tried some of the traditional bags in the store, and some felt like hitting concrete near the bottom... that is not what I was looking for in my workout... need my hands and wrists for work and racquetball..... I would just end up hurting myself, mostly due to my inexperience.

Comment

• jmtii77
                              Speed Bag Trainee
                              • May 2007

there's a video of Pac-Man sparring floating around on youtube and i noticed that he is wearing a set of green Twins Special gloves and matching head gear! i've noticed alot of figters using them during training but, he is by far the most notable fighter i have seen using Thai gear! i use almost all thai gear, for training, because i'm an MMA guy. but, i swear by the Ringside (blue) international stlye glove for sparring! for bag work i wear my Windy 10oz (for speed work) and my Twins 18's for heavy work. i also like to use my MMA gloves at least once a week because they promote turning the fist over and striking with the proper knuckles. the skin on your hands gets torn up if you don't turn your punches over. i find myself getting lazy sometimes, with the big gloves on, and not turning my punches over like i should. i like to do this with figthers that i'm training as well and then look at their hands after the work out! LOL!

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...