X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joe
    • May 2010

Joe's Workout Thread

I am not sure when it was I "fell" out of shape but I have seen the signs for the past 10 years or so. I used to be very active between lifting, men's league hockey and whatever other activities there were for me to do. Then came the wife, the kids, the shoulder surgeries and getting sick with Chrones disease about 5 years ago. My wife is a fantastic cook... she loves it. But that is no excuse for the decrepit eating habits I have picked up. Add to all this a rather sedentary job and I have become so out of shape its both embarrassing and pathetic.

My work is offering a fitness and weight loss program. They had a small lottery for it and I was pleased to find out I will be part of it. They give 9 months of peprsonal training, a nurse a nutritionist and 4 or 5 meeting or classes a month I need to attend. They keep track of blood work and your progress. I figure its a good way to keep me on track. Plus if I know others are tracking my progress or lack thereof that shall provide me a ton of motivation.

I plan to do a home based workout as going to the local gym has me crossing paths.... well put it this way - the older I get the more easily annoyed I get by the local ding dongs that hit the gym the same time as me. Plus I have been going to the gym on and off for years and doing the same sort of workouts has really not made me feel healthy. Sure when I was lifting heavy I felt strong but never really "good".

I am shooting to lose a bunch of weight and strengthen my body with a mix of body weight exercises. I will also be using a medicine ball, kettlebell and a few other pieces of low tech gear.

Cardiovascular work will consist of calistenics, daily heavybag work and a jumprope. I also plan to log an hour or so a day of walking in addition to my workouts. I really would like to do some running but I am likely not going to. Everytime I have ever run on a regular basis injury is never far behind. I figure running is just tough on the joints so ill pass on that for now.

I do not plan to diet but I DO plan to clean up what I eat. I'll drop the fried foods, soda and excessive plates of pasta and bread. I will NEVER EVER give up my coffee but I will drop that Italian sweet cream creamer by coffee mate I have been putting in every cup. I drank it black for years so that won't be so bad. Add in some extra veggies as snacks instead of poptarts from the vending machine and plenty of water and hopefully that will do the trick. I'll still eat out, have dessert now and again but its time to put the break on my bad habits.

If you don't mind I am gonna hang it all out here and post my progress as I go along over the next 10 months. The program officially starts in a little over a week.

Of course I do plan to be doing a lot of speedbaggin' along the way!

I'll keep ya posted.
    Last edited by Joe; 08-14-2010, 11:19 PM.
    sigpic
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Joe View Post
    I am not sure when it was I "fell" out of shape but I have seen the signs for the past 10 years or so. I used to be very active between lifting, men's league hockey and whatever other activities there were for me to do. Then came the wife, the kids, the shoulder surgeries and getting sick with Chrones disease about 5 years ago. My wife is a fantastic cook... she loves it. But that is no excuse for the decrepit eating habits I have picked up. Add to all this a rather sedentary job and I have become so out of shape its both embarrassing and pathetic.
    I'm right there with you brother. Family & work, sedentary job, shoulder surgery plus minor aches and pains have all conspired against me

My work is offering a fitness and weight loss program. They had a small lottery for it and I was pleased to find out I will be part of it. They give 9 months of peprsonal training, a nurse a nutritionist and 4 or 5 meeting or classes a month I need to attend. They keep track of blood work and your progress. I figure its a good way to keep me on track. Plus if I know others are tracking my progress or lack thereof that shall provide me a ton of motivation.
    Wow! Congrats on winning the lottery. Sounds like a great deal. Just out of curiosity , what size company is this? I know most big companies have a fitness reimbursement type of thing, but this sounds like it's much, much more comprehensive than that.

I plan to do a home based workout as going to the local gym has me crossing paths.... well put it this way - the older I get the more easily annoyed I get by the local ding dongs that hit the gym the same time as me. Plus I have been going to the gym on and off for years and doing the same sort of workouts has really not made me feel healthy. Sure when I was lifting heavy I felt strong but never really "good".
    I left the gym a few years ago and into my garage and never looked back. I had to invest $$$ in equipment at home, and some space, but it was well worth it. I picked up a lot of stuff at yard sales and other stuff I made myself. But I can honestly say I won't be back to the gym at any time in the near future.

Also you can't beat the convenience of the home workout. No commute time, no lines, no knuckleheads, etc.

I am shooting to lose a bunch of weight and strengthen my body with a mix of body weight exercises. I will also be using a medicine ball, kettlebell and a few other pieces of low tech gear.
    Low tech is best (IMO). Good plan. Body weight is a great idea. Myself, I'm a sucker for heavy weights, although I do lots of bodyweight stuff too. I'm proud to say that this past year, at age 37, I set a PR for deadlift (in my garage) doing 296 Lbs for 3 sets of 5 (I don't believe in heavy singles or "maxes").

Cardiovascular work will consist of calistenics, daily heavybag work and a jumprope. I also plan to log an hour or so a day of walking in addition to my workouts. I really would like to do some running but I am likely not going to. Everytime I have ever run on a regular basis injury is never far behind. I figure running is just tough on the joints so ill pass on that for now.
    Sounds like an entertaining mix that will stave off boredeom.

I've written off running as well. I jump rope on occasion though. I enjoyed running much more (the scenery actually changes) but it gives my knee fits.

I do not plan to diet but I DO plan to clean up what I eat. I'll drop the fried foods, soda and excessive plates of pasta and bread. I will NEVER EVER give up my coffee but I will drop that Italian sweet cream creamer by coffee mate I have been putting in every cup. I drank it black for years so that won't be so bad. Add in some extra veggies as snacks instead of poptarts from the vending machine and plenty of water and hopefully that will do the trick. I'll still eat out, have dessert now and again but its time to put the break on my bad habits.
    Sounds like a good plan, a moderate change in eating habits which is probably sustainable over the long term , rather than a radical change you'll burn out on.

I had to give up my big plates of spaghetti. I found as I get older, body can't handle the carbs as it used to.

Luv the black coffee as well. I've got a cup of 10w30 with me right now

If you don't mind I am gonna hang it all out here and post my progress as I go along over the next 10 months. The program officially starts in a little over a week.
    Yeah dude, keep us posted!
    Of course I do plan to be doing a lot of speedbaggin' along the way!

I'll keep ya posted.[/QUOTE]

Comment

• fingers
      Speed Bag Guru
      • May 2008

Sounds good to me Joe!! i am cutting back on the weights now myself i am 51 and after 30 years in the gym i am finding the motivation harder to come by! so i also have moved into the garage but on the positive i have made many like-minded friends along the way!!

Comment

• spinsmashpop
        Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Great stuff!
        I do think that by laying it on the line here with all members, you are committing yourself to your word in front of the entire forum.
        You laid down the law and it'll be cool to read of your progress...
        Very cool!
        I forced myself to run more last Halloween.
        I averaged 30+ miles a week. I hit a 1/2 marathon last January.
        But in May I got swamped with life and the past 3 1/2 months have had me run maybe 10 times!
        Ahhh! But I will get back on it !
        So good luck and thanks for the inspiration!
        BAG ON!

Comment

• Joe
          • May 2010

Thanks guys! I "officially" start Monday. I had to get the last bit of Guinness and Chinese Food out of my system today. As of tomorrow at dinner I am on a 12 hour fast to get ready for my blood test in the morning.

At least then there will be proof on paper (...like my shrinking wardrobe didn't already tell me that ) But hey - I figure if I was able to fall out of shape my body can also get back in it. More than anything I just want to feel good and energized again.

I am gonna do a blog that I plan to update regularly. It will be a pretty boring read but I'll keep a link to it in my signature to keep me honest.

Believe or not you guys on this forum are a bit of inspiration to me. It seems so many of you here at SBF are so positive and active. It's awesome.

I spent 3 hours baggin' today. The lawn didn't get mowed but I can keeep teh bag movin' now. Although that Title bag feels as though its starting to fight back! (little Title tag is an instrument of torture).

Bagging with my wedding band hurts too. But I've known that little thing has been killing me for years... (j/k)

"...my name is Joe. I am a BagAholic." For you Metallica fans.. Bagaholica!!
          sigpic

Comment

• paranday
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Sep 2009

Although that Title bag feels as though its starting to fight back! (little Title tag is an instrument of torture).
            Some of us cut the tag off. The bag won't feel a thing, and neither will you.

"...my name is Joe. I am a BagAholic." For you Metallica fans.. Bagaholica!!
            You're also something of a nut. Which is why we love you around here.

Comment

• Joe
              • May 2010

Originally posted by paranday View Post
              Some of us cut the tag off. The bag won't feel a thing, and neither will you.

You're also something of a nut. Which is why we love you around here.
              Thanks paranday! This place is pretty cool.

I started started the fitness program today... I have linked the blog I am going to be doing at the bottom of my sig.
              sigpic

Comment

• fingers
                Speed Bag Guru
                • May 2008

Joe i have just read your blog!! i would just like to say you are a skilled writer you had me laughing a few times, i will follow your progress and best of luck in your quest for fitness

Comment

• Tim
                  Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Thanks paranday! This place is pretty cool.

I started started the fitness program today... I have linked the blog I am going to be doing at the bottom of my sig.
                  Yeah, that's ballsy putting your baseline out on the web I hope it helps give you the motivation to keep at it. I subscribed via Google Reader so I don't miss a single post
                  Last edited by Tim; 08-24-2010, 06:27 AM.

Comment

• Joe
                    • May 2010

Any of you guys have any experience with resistance bands for training? I was considering getting a set but there are so many options I don't know what I need. I do know I want something in the set to help with assisted pullups. I am looking here:

sigpic

Comment

• Joe
                      • May 2010

I'm right there with you brother. Family & work, sedentary job, shoulder surgery plus minor aches and pains have all conspired against me
                      Thats the only solace in getting older. We all are doing it together

Wow! Congrats on winning the lottery. Sounds like a great deal. Just out of curiosity , what size company is this? I know most big companies have a fitness reimbursement type of thing, but this sounds like it's much, much more comprehensive than that.
                      I am a state employee. I guess they finally figured out its cheaper to prevent than to try and cure...

I left the gym a few years ago and into my garage and never looked back. I had to invest $$$ in equipment at home, and some space, but it was well worth it. I picked up a lot of stuff at yard sales and other stuff I made myself. But I can honestly say I won't be back to the gym at any time in the near future. Also you can't beat the convenience of the home workout. No commute time, no lines, no knuckleheads, etc.
                      I already have no regrets. I have plenty of stuff already but plan to get a few more items just for fun. I am planning to get a Keg, a bigger Tire/sledge and looking also at some resistance bands or tubes.

Low tech is best (IMO). Good plan. Body weight is a great idea. Myself, I'm a sucker for heavy weights, although I do lots of bodyweight stuff too. I'm proud to say that this past year, at age 37, I set a PR for deadlift (in my garage) doing 296 Lbs for 3 sets of 5 (I don't believe in heavy singles or "maxes").
                      I think you're right. From what I have been reading (and it makes sense to me) BW exercise really is functional movement as opposed to some of the more restrictive lifts we learned in our 20's. Each has its place.

Thats great on the deadlift! I used to DL like crazy My body is built for deadlifting (long arms and long thick legs) but that works against me big time on my bench which has always sucked. Actually I have one of those big Cardillo powerlifting (thick suede with 4 rows of stitching) belts in my garage that I used years back when I was much leaner. It would probably fit you fine. If you want it say the word and I'll send it to you. It's just collecting dust here and I don't plan on powerlifting again.

I've written off running as well. I jump rope on occasion though. I enjoyed running much more (the scenery actually changes) but it gives my knee fits.
                      I said the same thing but I foolishly just signed up for a Couch to 5k program. The coach it is a runner himself and track coach I am told. I figure if I can learn a bit about proper technique that may help. I know that my posture running has always sucked.

Sounds like a good plan, a moderate change in eating habits which is probably sustainable over the long term , rather than a radical change you'll burn out on.
                      Its been only a week or two and I have not been perfect but I have found myself turning a lot of foods and snacks (that I would have eaten before) down. The other day at work a coworker called and said he was bringing in 4 big pizzas from a new Little Ceasers pizza shop that just opened. I didn't stick around... I split out the back door and found something to do outside the office long enough for them to devour the goodies. I know my weakness and my limits. If I had been there I would have screwed the pooch on that one meal alone.
                      sigpic

Comment

• jumpcannon
                        Creator of the Powermill Evil Swivel

• Jul 2010

I am zeroing in my workouts also. Using bull nox (androrush) for pre workout drink. Hitting weights about 4 days a week. And hitting the bag about 5 days a week. DIET is the HARDEST thing to zero in! But i am doing great on it. Keep sweating and TIME is the key!!!!!
                        evilswivel@yahoo.com

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                        Working...