X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Geronimo
    • Sep 2009

!!!! what to do when you cant SPEEDBAG!

Ok so 3 weeks ago I dislocated a few my fingers at a Blackbelt Brazilian Jiu Jitsu seminar, was worth the messed up fingers for another stripe on my belt. None the less set back my baggin a few days - week. Then the following week at B.J.J class I fractured my left pinky finger REALLY making Speed bagging painful and challenging. That was 2 days before Brian Tichy/ Foreigner was coming in town and I could bag at the SB truck with Spinsmashpop. I wouldnt of missed it if my fingers were all freshly cut off! Regardless after bagging with bum fingers @ speed bag truck, my left hand was done for a few days - week. Well today my fingers were just getting better from the dislocation/fracture, and BOOOOOM Today with 30seconds left of the 5 minute rolling drills in Jiujitsu class I DISLOCATED my damn left shoulder< hasnt happened in 5 years>!!! lucky for my self n' shoulder, Luke my instructor put my shoulder back into place with in 1minute of it happening! So now Im really hard up and cant speed bag for another week or so! Besides watching more videos ive seen 100 times and Speed bagging in the AIR! any other ways to get that speed bag sensation or FIX lol!!

I just want to Speed bag!!!

Any advice on what todo besides read the SB bible more, practice Air combos and techniques and watch more videos, id love to hear the ideas!

Ill be back at it soon as my body can physically take the bagging!

Geronimo!

o yeah btw--- It would sound like my body gets injured easy, well we can say I just am very very BRUTAL with my actions and bones/joints of the body only can withstand so much. I just press maybe past them and shouldnt, but in the heat of the action thangs just break or happen!
    Last edited by Geronimo; 03-19-2010, 11:11 AM. Reason: just a BTW message!
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Geronimo View Post
    Any advice on what todo besides read the SB bible more, practice Air combos and techniques and watch more videos, id love to hear the ideas!
    Geez, I don't know that's a tough one. Maybe hit with your right elbow only ???
    Sometimes you just have to rest! Hope it heals up soon, it's a drag being injured.

Comment

• Mrs Mitts
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Feb 2010

Geronimo,

Hope you take it easy and recover soon. More important that your shoulder heals well before you train too hard too soon.

"Any advice on what todo besides read the SB bible more, practice Air combos and techniques and watch more videos, id love to hear the ideas"

OK, a couple of ideas for you:

if you don't already know it, you could learn some cool video editing software

How about coming up with the 'Ten Commandments of the Speedbag'?
      I'm thinking of a poster to put up by the platforms in the gym that would be a good focus of what speedbagging is about and how to get started on the right track......

I'm sure you could come up with something!
      Last edited by Mrs Mitts; 03-20-2010, 03:28 AM. Reason: change formatting

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Mrs Mitts View Post
        I'm thinking of a poster to put up by the platforms in the gym that would be a good focus of what speedbagging is about and how to get started on the right track......
        That's a good idea. Kind of works with the whole "Bible" motif as well. Hope nobody finds this blasphemous. In fact, having run this forum for 4+ years now, here's what I offer up as my 10 bag commandments.

#1 thou shalt keep your elbows and hands up, do not punch from waist level.
        #2 thou shalt develop control before speed or power
        #3 thou shalt not blame the equipment when a lack of practice is the root cause. (I've seen a lot of "defective" bags miraculously repair themselves after about 2 weeks of daily punching )
        #4 thou shalt hang thy bag such that the belly (or fattest part) is at mouth level, for this is the most productive position for "pass throughs"
        #5 thou shall master thy basic rhythm before attempting to progress to super advanced punching
        #6 Over time, thou shall not limit thine striking to the knuckles only, and will use copious amounts of side punches, circle punch, elbows, etc. as your abilities progress
        #7 thou shall not make a figure eight motion while linking, but instead will pass the fists "straight through" the bag
        #8 thou shall not attempt to pop thine bladder, for this renders the bag useless and demonstrates little of value
        #9 thou shalt share selflessly your newfound skills and abilities with others eager to learn
        #10 thou shalt only use a ball hook swivel, composed of metal, for it is the only true swivel for punching. Do not worship the false idol swivels (aka the U Bolt and Chain link). Any controversy with this one? :P
        Last edited by Tim; 03-20-2010, 05:46 AM.

Comment

• paranday
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Sep 2009

Hahahaha, funny Tim. Guess I have sinned at times.

Maybe an 11th commandment:

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's bags.
          Last edited by paranday; 03-20-2010, 08:28 AM.

Comment

• Geronimo
            • Sep 2009

I just gotta heal and sit on my hands!

Yeah I just gotta heal up, take it easy for 3-4 weeks and every day do my rehab movements on my left shoulder. Its not the 1st time ive DISLOCATED it but then again it hasnt happened in over 5years.. Its just upsetting to me that my passions in life both have to be put off till im recovered. But Ill be speed baggin mentally till i can hit that bag again!

and the big downer of all it is. April 10 was my 1st COMPETITION for BJJ and now I gotta wait till next time im healthy and comp. is going on =(

Comment

• atgatt
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Mrs Mitts View Post
              Geronimo,

I'm sure you could come up with something!
              Interesting thought. I guess one would be, "Don't let your face get in the path of the rebounding speed bag, especially on the larger speed bags."

#10 thou shalt only use a ball hook swivel, composed of metal, for it is the only true swivel for punching. Do not worship the false idol swivels (aka the U Bolt and Chain link). Any controversy with this one? :P

Sorry, but the good ol' ball made of plastic is fine with me.

"o yeah btw--- It would sound like my body gets injured easy, well we can say I just am very very BRUTAL with my actions and bones/joints of the body only can withstand so much. I just press maybe past them and shouldnt, but in the heat of the action thangs just break or happen!"

Completely understood, but in my older years now, I wished I was easier on my body in my youth regarding contact sports. But, I'm sure MANY of us can say the same thing now, which wouldn't have changed anything then. Funny how that works. Sounds like you are having fun and you have a great attitude of trying to heal and yet still do something. I pray that you heal up soon.

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by atgatt View Post
                "o yeah btw--- It would sound like my body gets injured easy, well we can say I just am very very BRUTAL with my actions and bones/joints of the body only can withstand so much. I just press maybe past them and shouldnt, but in the heat of the action thangs just break or happen!"

Completely understood, but in my older years now, I wished I was easier on my body in my youth regarding contact sports. But, I'm sure MANY of us can say the same thing now, which wouldn't have changed anything then. Funny how that works. Sounds like you are having fun and you have a great attitude of trying to heal and yet still do something. I pray that you heal up soon.
                Reminds me of a quote I heard : "After age 30, injuries are forever". Now being age 37 I can confirm there is a lot of truth to that. It all adds up over time.

Comment

• spinsmashpop
                  Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                  Geez, I don't know that's a tough one. Maybe hit with your right elbow only ???
                  Sometimes you just have to rest! Hope it heals up soon, it's a drag being injured.
                  HAHA.... right elbow... the picture of someone doing that for more than a couple minutes is funny.....

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                  That's a good idea. Kind of works with the whole "Bible" motif as well. Hope nobody finds this blasphemous. In fact, having run this forum for 4+ years now, here's what I offer up as my 10 bag commandments.

#1 thou shalt keep your elbows and hands up, do not punch from waist level.
                  #2 thou shalt develop control before speed or power
                  #3 thou shalt not blame the equipment when a lack of practice is the root cause. (I've seen a lot of "defective" bags miraculously repair themselves after about 2 weeks of daily punching )
                  #4 thou shalt hang thy bag such that the belly (or fattest part) is at mouth level, for this is the most productive position for "pass throughs"
                  #5 thou shall master thy basic rhythm before attempting to progress to super advanced punching
                  #6 Over time, thou shall not limit thine striking to the knuckles only, and will use copious amounts of side punches, circle punch, elbows, etc. as your abilities progress
                  #7 thou shall not make a figure eight motion while linking, but instead will pass the fists "straight through" the bag
                  #8 thou shall not attempt to pop thine bladder, for this renders the bag useless and demonstrates little of value
                  #9 thou shalt share selflessly your newfound skills and abilities with others eager to learn
                  Originally posted by paranday View Post
                  Hahahaha, funny Tim. Guess I have sinned at times.

Maybe an 11th commandment:

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's bags.
                  HAHA....this is all funny....
                  Geronimo....
                  I hear ya dude....
                  Last year, I was with Foreigner in Europe for 6 weeks....I had a bag and board with me, but the scheduling never allowed it all to come together. The truck was always away from the stage or backstage area.... the band would show up too close to show time to try to get it together. The crew had less time and it was never conducive to setting up the bag....
                  So I went without and it sucked....I watched vids and checked out forum..
                  Man ...but without you hands and arms, you can't do a lot of stuff.
                  I'd say take up guitar, cuz guitar rules... or get a keyboard and learn some tunes... music passes time amazingly...
                  Just a thought....
                  BAG ON!

Comment

• Geronimo
                    • Sep 2009

7 days later~

Yeah Brian music for me tho ive never really felt like i was a musician, my brother got them genetics, although i have great love for all types of music and much passion for music as so many others do I dont have that musical itch inside me . As a kid i played the bass in the orchestra for a few years. It just never stood out to me. My brother how ever is a Drum n Bass producer / DJ hes not big time yet but getting closer. Hes very very very very very into his music like i am with MMA. So in past 7 days since my dislocation Ive came 100000 miles already in recovery. Took it super easy 1st few days a lot of sleep and good food, still did my cardio work outs tho for p90x, but already from 1 week my arm according to my workout logs is back to 75 % already with id give it 50% stability. So I will be back to bagging SOON < already have lil bit > and BJJ ill back in 2weeks! Bag on baggers I hope to get my recovery back in baggin videos out shortly!

Brian I got nice Video of your milwaukee Drum solo i gunna email you, n probably post on my youtube page if its cool with ya!

Comment

• spinsmashpop
                      Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Brian I got nice Video of your milwaukee Drum solo i gunna email you, n probably post on my youtube page if its cool with ya!
                      Cool... that was an arena I think.... someone else posted portions of that solo.... you can't hear what I 'm playing ... just sounds like random machine guns and canons with lights going crazy.... I guess that in itself may be cooler than what I 'm actually playing! hahaha

Comment

• Geronimo
                        • Sep 2009

sound quality was aiight!

the sound on the video was good pending the speaker quality that you hearing it through. I gunna see if i can find the video and see if mines worth posting we where up front and had a Nice HD quality of your drum solo < no sticks session you could hear the fans screaming and people talking about it > pretty awesome to hear people in backround over the drumming actually going "OMG that is so insane, no sticks!"

Comment

• spinsmashpop
                          Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

the sound on the video was good pending the speaker quality that you hearing it through. I gunna see if i can find the video and see if mines worth posting we where up front and had a Nice HD quality of your drum solo < no sticks session you could hear the fans screaming and people talking about it > pretty awesome to hear people in backround over the drumming actually going "OMG that is so insane, no sticks!"
                          Cool! Would love to check it out.....

Comment

• metaldad
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by spinsmashpop View Post
                            Cool! Would love to check it out.....
                            Spins goin' Bonzo!!! Always awesome to see!
                            sigpic

Comment

• crapshoot
                              • Apr 2010

There are some iPhone speed bag apps LOL!

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...