• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • metaldad
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2007

wrists and forearms

Anybody ever use a wristroller? If so then how much weight do you use for how many reps? If not then what type of wrist and forearm strengthening exercises do you do? I've been using a wristroller for quite some time but I always go back and forth with the weight right I'm using 5 lbs and going for high reps (6- 10 +) I also do reverse curls. I'm always wondering if I'm doing the right amount with the wristroller.
    sigpic
  • riqal
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Aug 2006

I use an easy curl bar for regular and reverse wrist curls. I do one set each, high reps (15-20). I have heard that when working the wrists, one set of high reps is best. I don't know for sure.

Comment

• ukspeedbag
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Nov 2007

Originally posted by metaldad View Post
      Anybody ever use a wristroller? If so then how much weight do you use for how many reps? If not then what type of wrist and forearm strengthening exercises do you do? I've been using a wristroller for quite some time but I always go back and forth with the weight right I'm using 5 lbs and going for high reps (6- 10 +) I also do reverse curls. I'm always wondering if I'm doing the right amount with the wristroller.
      In my days of bodybuilding, I never done any wrist or forearm exercises and I had excellent forearms and good strong wrists.

Metaldad, if you wear gloves when training, this weakens the wrists. The only support I ever used was straps for 'wide grip pull downs'. When I started to train for the 1st couple of years, I used gym gloves. A well known local body builder noticed me using them and told me about the disadvantages. I stopped, and also stopped training forearms, being able to put more energy into my other body parts. What I'm getting at, is for me training forearms and wrists was waisted energy.

At the end of the day, everybody is different when it comes to building muscle. Something might work for me and not for you. People will tell you this and that is better but, honestly you just have to give different things a try and figure it out for yourself. You may find the same thing works for you.

Weight lifting glue or powder was a great thing for me when training back and any pulling exercise. The key to good forearms and strong wrists is use them instead of reliying on supports.

Hope I didn't go off the subject a bit.
      Last edited by ukspeedbag; 05-26-2008, 12:37 PM.

Comment

• riqal
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Aug 2006

Are you talking about all weightlifting gloves? Or just those that have wrap around wrist support? I use gloves on those rare occassions when I use my dumbells, but the gloves I use just cover the hands and have no wrist support. Are these gloves putting me at a disadvantage?

Comment

• ukspeedbag
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by riqal View Post
          Are you talking about all weightlifting gloves? Or just those that have wrap around wrist support? I use gloves on those rare occasions when I use my dumbells, but the gloves I use just cover the hands and have no wrist support. Are these gloves putting me at a disadvantage?
          I personally believe that weight lifting gloves have a disadvantage on strengthening the wrists and forearms. If your using gloves, even those without the wrap around wrist support, try training without them for some time. Next time your in the gym, try doing your dumbbell curls with the gloves and then without. You'll find your gripping the dumbbell more without the gloves, same when your training let's say 'trapz'. For shoulder shrugs, you would use a real heavy weight because the movement is small i.e. your just lifting your shoulders. With gloves you'll find they will gather in you palm taking the weight, therefore no need to have a tight grip. Without gloves your using your wrists and forearms more to grip the bar.

I'm a great believer in hand wraps. The only times I would use these was when I would train back and only if I was going really heavy. The advantage with wraps is you can put them on and only use them when needed. With gloves, you'll tend to wear them for almost everything once you put them on.

When I started training, it was in a health spa. Here almost everyone used gloves. I trained forearms with wrist curls and reverse wrist curls. 2 years later I started a 'hardcore' gym, hardly anyone used gloves unless you are a female and wanted to keep your hands nice and soft or your male and like to massage your wifes back. For the rest of my body building career, I never trained forearms and wrists. My forearms were that big, I couldn't bring my hands up in front of me and touch my face or my shoulders after training back and biceps.

Like I explained earlier, it's a matter of opinion but, it worked for me and many others too. Something I learned in the body building world is different things work for different people. I have a close friend who had won Mr United Kingdom a few times, he only ever done 1 set per exercises and never really went heavy. I tried this and shrank!

I love the subject of body building and would probably bore you to death, I could go on and on but won't.

Hope this helps, good luck!
          Last edited by ukspeedbag; 05-27-2008, 01:51 AM.

Comment

• riqal
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Aug 2006

Makes perfect sense. Thanks for your help!

Comment

• ukspeedbag
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Nov 2007

Originally posted by riqal View Post
              Makes perfect sense. Thanks for your help!
              rigal, Your very welcome, anytime my friend.

Comment

• metaldad
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by ukspeedbag View Post
                In my days of bodybuilding, I never done any wrist or forearm exercises and I had excellent forearms and good strong wrists.

Metaldad, if you wear gloves when training, this weakens the wrists. The only support I ever used was straps for 'wide grip pull downs'. When I started to train for the 1st couple of years, I used gym gloves. A well known local body builder noticed me using them and told me about the disadvantages. I stopped, and also stopped training forearms, being able to put more energy into my other body parts. What I'm getting at, is for me training forearms and wrists was waisted energy.

At the end of the day, everybody is different when it comes to building muscle. Something might work for me and not for you. People will tell you this and that is better but, honestly you just have to give different things a try and figure it out for yourself. You may find the same thing works for you.

Weight lifting glue or powder was a great thing for me when training back and any pulling exercise. The key to good forearms and strong wrists is use them instead of reliying on supports.

Hope I didn't go off the subject a bit.
                Thanks Uk! You didn't go off subject at all. In fact, quite the contrary. Where you always had strong wrists and forearms, mine were always weak. I used to wrestle and though I had a somewhat powerful upper body (arms a dn shoulders) certain other aspects wer very weak. My grip strength in particular. This bugged me for years. I never had any formal weight training instruction or guidance, I just went with what felt good at the time. As I got older and more into combat sports and training I noticed the different training methods of alot of my idols. Bruce Lee being my biggest inspiration used to train his forearms religiously. He believed that knock out power came from not only involving the whole body in a punch i.e. swinging with your hips, but also having strong forearms and wrists. He also developed a very powerful grip strength, many people said shaking hands with him was like putting your hand in a vice. Being a former wrestler, grip strength is sort of an obsession for me.
                sigpic

Comment

• ukspeedbag
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Nov 2007

Thanks Uk! You didn't go off subject at all. In fact, quite the contrary. Where you always had strong wrists and forearms, mine were always weak. I used to wrestle and though I had a somewhat powerful upper body (arms a dn shoulders) certain other aspects wer very weak. My grip strength in particular. This bugged me for years. I never had any formal weight training instruction or guidance, I just went with what felt good at the time. As I got older and more into combat sports and training I noticed the different training methods of alot of my idols. Bruce Lee being my biggest inspiration used to train his forearms religiously. He believed that knock out power came from not only involving the whole body in a punch i.e. swinging with your hips, but also having strong forearms and wrists. He also developed a very powerful grip strength, many people said shaking hands with him was like putting your hand in a vice. Being a former wrestler, grip strength is sort of an obsession for me.
                  No problem metaldad, like I said earlier I love the subject of body building. I was fortunate, the second gym had some amazing people in there, some famous in the UK and were always giving great advice. I remember the day I walked in there with my girlfriend who also trained (She went on to win Miss UK) I picked out a lad called who looked absolutely fantastic. I wanted to be as good as him and this was my aim, I gave myself a target. At my peak without dieting I was 101kg with just 12% fat.

I would love to start the gym again, but membership prices are absolutely ridiculous. In fact, I went along to a local gym just 3 weeks ago and the cost was £6 ($12) per session! I don't live in my home town anymore so have to pay the full price here.

Anyway I have to agree, wrists and forearms are the key to upper body strength.

Comment

• toolboxdiver
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Jan 2008

I made one and use a old boat anchor as a weight , I drilled a 1/2 inch hole in 2 studs and mounted a piece of PVC pipe over allthread in between the studs with a rope and a dog clip. I'll try to post a pic for you later today devildog

Comment

• metaldad
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by toolboxdiver View Post
                      I made one and use a old boat anchor as a weight , I drilled a 1/2 inch hole in 2 studs and mounted a piece of PVC pipe over allthread in between the studs with a rope and a dog clip. I'll try to post a pic for you later today devildog
                      An ANCHOR!?!OORAH!! Way to blast those forearms!! Po a pic when ya get time I'd love to see that set up! Here's mine. Simple and quick to make. I drilled a hole through an old dumbbell handle,(ok, this took awhile) attached the rope through the center and duct taped the rope at the center of the handle, looped the rope so I can change the weight, added some handle bar grips and voila!
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by metaldad; 06-02-2008, 08:45 AM.
                      sigpic

Comment

• toolboxdiver
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Jan 2008

Here is the wrist roller I made it's mounted between 2 studs and I rolled the anchor up to show it together.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• metaldad
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Apr 2007

Nice! strictly forearms only. No other muscles involved.
                          sigpic

Comment

• toolboxdiver
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Jan 2008

Nice! strictly forearms only. No other muscles involved.
                            That's what I set it up for I do wrist rolls in both directions. Each set is raising the anchor 3X I do 2 sets in each direction with neck exercises in between sets. It gives a pretty good burn

Comment

• jackmcmanus21
                              Speed Bag Trainee
                              • Jun 2008

cant beat wristrolls for forearm strength....love using it

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...