Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Speed Bag Gang Banger

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Speed Bag Gang Banger

    So I took some direction from Tim and put together a design for a cage. I'm calling it the "Gang Banger." The original Gang Banger is built for 6, but can be modified to accomodate 4 or 8, by changing a few dimensions. It is pre-drilled to be compatible with Everlast and Balazs platforms.

    I threw this together pretty quick, so y'all let me know if something doesn't seem to make sense. It is 3 pages.

    http://www.thedukedoctrine.com/sbcage.pdf

    http://www.thedukedoctrine.com/sbcageplan.pdf

    http://www.thedukedoctrine.com/sbcageparts.pdf

    For future events, we can say something like, "We'll be bringing 2 6-man Gang Bangers, and a 4-man Gang Banger."

  • #2
    Originally posted by aad03 View Post
    So I took some direction from Tim and put together a design for a cage. I'm calling it the "Gang Banger." The original Gang Banger is built for 6, but can be modified to accomodate 4 or 8, by changing a few dimensions. It is pre-drilled to be compatible with Everlast and Balazs platforms.

    I threw this together pretty quick, so y'all let me know if something doesn't seem to make sense. It is 3 pages.

    http://www.thedukedoctrine.com/sbcage.pdf

    http://www.thedukedoctrine.com/sbcageplan.pdf

    http://www.thedukedoctrine.com/sbcageparts.pdf

    For future events, we can say something like, "We'll be bringing 2 6-man Gang Bangers, and a 4-man Gang Banger."
    Wow! Impressive stuff! You are all pro! You should see my drum charts when I have to learn tunes! They look like a drawings by a few 2 year olds!
    Anyhow.... very cool!

    Comment


    • #3
      Lynch Mob in SA

      SSP,
      You say you'll have a platform with you on tour? I'm planning on coming out to the San Antonio show, my cousin lives right by Scout Bar, literally less than a mile away. Thinking about building a gangbanger and trying it out down there. I'll prob bring a couple platforms, if you think you'll have time to bag. If you've got a board with you, all the better.

      I can bring a couple extra bags since all your gear got snaked.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by aad03 View Post
        SSP,
        You say you'll have a platform with you on tour? I'm planning on coming out to the San Antonio show, my cousin lives right by Scout Bar, literally less than a mile away. Thinking about building a gangbanger and trying it out down there. I'll prob bring a couple platforms, if you think you'll have time to bag. If you've got a board with you, all the better.

        I can bring a couple extra bags since all your gear got snaked.
        I am going to try to bring a platform. We are in a Sprinter van (you can stand up in) and a trailer, so the comfort of tour buses, techs and and equipments trucks are no where to be found around this tour! But I will most likely keep a platform and bags with me just in case their is a place to hang and bang!
        So we will PM and get numbers and all that over the next couple weeks. Then I will also have a better idea of my time that day and when I am in town , soundcheck, show time.. etc...
        WE will most likely be playing later on this tour (10 - 11) so that increases potential bag time...
        BAG ON

        Comment


        • #5
          Sounds good, I'll make sure we've got something to hang a few boards.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by aad03 View Post
            So I took some direction from Tim and put together a design for a cage. I'm calling it the "Gang Banger." The original Gang Banger is built for 6, but can be modified to accomodate 4 or 8, by changing a few dimensions. It is pre-drilled to be compatible with Everlast and Balazs platforms.

            I threw this together pretty quick, so y'all let me know if something doesn't seem to make sense. It is 3 pages.
            Cool. The only comment I have is that I staggered the horizontal pieces on each side so that you don't have to worry about being too precise with your wood. For example if one of the 36" is 36.25" in reality, it's not going to interfere with the other other piece. Also the 5' and 4' lengths I chose are conveniently 1/2 the size of common lengths at Home Depot. That way they do all the cutting and that's one less tool needed.

            (Having said that, I'm all thumbs when it comes to construction so I kind of dumbed down the design so I could be sloppy about it)

            Comment


            • #7
              t shirts lol

              cool idea but if we get shirts made that say"i have been in the gangbang cage" I will have to skip out on wearin one lmao. But cool professional idea.

              Comment


              • #8
                I figured I could use 8' 2x6's and get a 5' and a 3' from each. My shop has all the equipment and tools, so I'm gonna go ahead and build one and see how it comes out. I'll post some photos or vids when it's done. I was thinking maybe some shirts that say "i'm here for the gang bang."

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by aad03 View Post
                  I figured I could use 8' 2x6's and get a 5' and a 3' from each.
                  Good point (I told you I was all thumbs, simple things like that escape me!) That's an easy cut for Home Depot to do as well.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by aad03 View Post
                    My shop has all the equipment and tools, so I'm gonna go ahead and build one and see how it comes out. I'll post some photos or vids when it's done.
                    I'd be interested to hear what it costs to construct as well. Mine ran in the $200+ range (per rack). Probably could have been done cheaper (maybe nails instead of 1/2 inch bolts?), or something other than cedar. There's probably $50-$60 in 1/2 inch hardware in each of mine. I'll have a detailed cost accounting posted soon.

                    The real cost is the platforms though. I think the next hurdle is a cheap wooden home made platform design that is compatible with these kind of racks.

                    Can anyone brainstorm an adjustable platform made of wood? That would be nirvana

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Tim View Post
                      There's probably $50-$60 in 1/2 inch hardware in each of mine. I'll have a detailed cost accounting posted soon.
                      That seems a bit high. The low grade bolts here are sold by the pound, is it the same where you live?

                      Originally posted by Tim View Post
                      Can anyone brainstorm an adjustable platform made of wood? That would be nirvana
                      If anyone can do it, it's the inventive gang here. Forget who it is now, but one guy's welded frame that was posted here is a thing of engineering beauty. No dog food needed to kill vibrations with his design.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        It was probably the cedar that drove it up. It's about twice the cost of pine. Plus, bolts can vary in price depending on their grade.

                        As far as adjustable wood drums, it may be easier to adjust the height of the person with platforms than figuring out a reliable and durable platform.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by paranday View Post
                          That seems a bit high. The low grade bolts here are sold by the pound, is it the same where you live?
                          They probably sell them like that somewhere, but the only source I'm familiar with is Home Depot and Lowes. Lowes had a box of 25 six inch length, 1/2 inch diameter bolts for $32. It takes about 32 to put one rack together (8 each side, times 4 sides). Then theres the nuts and washers which is another couple of bucks, then the bolts, washers, and nuts for platform mounting.

                          Originally posted by crapshoot View Post
                          It was probably the cedar that drove it up. It's about twice the cost of pine.
                          That's what I thought at first, but the only thing they had in 4"x4" was Cedar or pressure treated wood, and both were similar. They didn't have 4"x4" in pine. I guess I could have used something else, but 4"x4" seemed to be the way to go. I briefly looked for a "real" lumber yard, but couldn't locate one near me.

                          Plus, bolts can vary in price depending on their grade.
                          Lowes only carries one kind, so they may be the really strong kind, I'm not sure.

                          As far as adjustable wood drums, it may be easier to adjust the height of the person with platforms than figuring out a reliable and durable platform.
                          I don't disagree, but if somebody COULD figure out how to make a wood adjustable I think that would be ideal.

                          Another idea would be to simply mount each fixed platform at a different height, maybe in 4" increments. If you have 8 platforms , that's 32" of coverage.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            The hardware does add up real quick. Once you add up all the bolts, washers, and nuts, you'd be surprised, like Tim said. I ordered all my hardware from boltdepot.com, I went with stainless steel and wingnuts, for simple assembly. It ran about $230 just for the hardware. It will accomodate 6 platforms. I think it will be tough to build any platform for less than the basic Everlast.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              There is a way to make adjustable wood platform to stand on. I think of cribbing used by firefighters to stabilize a car that has wrecked.

                              basically you would have to notch 4 pieces of large wood in 1 or 2" increments. Like a step pattern for 4 corners of a platform. Or to simplify that you can stairstep 2"x4"s by glue and screws, and you can put 2 together for 4"s of height, 3 for 6"s of height, adn 4 for 8"s of height etc...

                              Hope this makes sense I hate explaining stuff by typing.

                              Comment

                              Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...
                              X