X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sparrky37
    • Jan 2010

St. Louis SpeedBag Gathering

I'm piggybacking off aad03s' Idea of multiple gatherings throughout the country.
    St. Louis would be a great central location for everyone to make it to. I'm putting this out there to see who would be interested, and what time of year sounds good?
    I have a couple of places in mind to put this up. I'm thinking of a basketball gymnasium with a stage in it. We could multiple cages in it

Let's get the ball rollin on this!!! PM me or reply to this thread.
  • crapshoot
    • Apr 2010

Originally posted by sparrky37 View Post
    I'm piggybacking off aad03s' Idea of multiple gatherings throughout the country.
    St. Louis would be a great central location for everyone to make it to. I'm putting this out there to see who would be interested, and what time of year sounds good?
    I have a couple of places in mind to put this up. I'm thinking of a basketball gymnasium with a stage in it. We could multiple cages in it

Let's get the ball rollin on this!!! PM me or reply to this thread.
    For those of us around Chicago, St. Louis wouldn't be difficult. I always prefer the summer, but I like the heat and schedules are more flexible.

Comment

• Tim
      Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

It's about 1,000 miles for me driving, so I could only make it if I flew. I don't think I could do two big road trips in one year, but having said that, Carol and I once drove non-stop from Arkansas to Orlando. I definitely would be interested if this goes down, but I couldn't firmly commit until dates are somewhat solid.

Comment

• spinsmashpop
        Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Originally posted by Tim View Post
        It's about 1,000 miles for me driving, so I could only make it if I flew. I don't think I could do two big road trips in one year, but having said that, Carol and I once drove non-stop from Arkansas to Orlando. I definitely would be interested if this goes down, but I couldn't firmly commit until dates are somewhat solid.
        I'm not trying to put anyone to work here,,,, but Tim's cage is the way to go!
        If he can't bring it, or it can't be obtained, then I'd get the instructions from him. The one he brought and put together inside was awesome and super-sturdy.
        I don't know how much it cost, but if built, it will be used many times over.
        When I was in Foreigner, we had West Coast and East Coast gear. We were able to bounce around the country and not have to wait for gear form New Mexico to get to Conneticut. I also know drummers and guitarists that leave multiple sets and cabinets around the world. East Coast, West Coast, England, Japan.....

Just an idea....

ALso Sparrky, the gym def sounds cool, but if you found a boxing gym with a vibe like Donnie's Real Gymm, that's the way to go!
        Last edited by spinsmashpop; 06-23-2010, 09:45 PM.

Comment

• sparrky37
          • Jan 2010

Brian I have a place like that in mind. There is a chain here locally called The Boxing Gym. The only thing is I know thats gonna cost, but I will present the idea and see what happens. So I'm gonna scout and see what I come up with starting monday.

I don't want to have it to close if aad03 has an event down in Houston I will PM him and see what time frame he's thinking. It was suggested by Tim to do a fall one. He also recomended not having to many events, that way when the events happen more people have time to plan and make it.

Comment

• metaldad
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Apr 2007

If this happens, I can actually drive to it! Yay!! Keep us posted!
            sigpic

Comment

• SpeedKilz
              • Dec 2009

I'd be interested in going. I'm not far away being in the Kansas City area. As far as locations...I THINK there is a Title Boxing Club located in the St. Louis area that is relatively new. Not sure how big it is and all that but it is an option I could look into if need be.

Comment

• sparrky37
                • Jan 2010

Originally posted by SpeedKilz View Post
                I'd be interested in going. I'm not far away being in the Kansas City area. As far as locations...I THINK there is a Title Boxing Club located in the St. Louis area that is relatively new. Not sure how big it is and all that but it is an option I could look into if need be.
                I just checked it out online. That place is pretty bad ass! I will check it out. The only problem I have with it is location, it's farther southwest in the area.I was hoping to keep it close to the airport,and certain highways I-70 for instance. Not a huge issue! Definatley gonna keep it as an option.

Thanks

Comment

• Speedbag
                  Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by spinsmashpop View Post

I'm not trying to put anyone to work here,,,, but Tim's cage is the way to go!
                  If he can't bring it, or it can't be obtained, then I'd get the instructions from him. The one he brought and put together inside was awesome and super-sturdy.

I don't know how much it cost, but if built, it will be used many times over.
                  When I was in Foreigner, we had West Coast and East Coast gear. We were able to bounce around the country and not have to wait for gear form New Mexico to get to Conneticut. I also know drummers and guitarists that leave multiple sets and cabinets around the world. East Coast, West Coast, England, Japan.....

Just an idea....

ALso Sparrky, the gym def sounds cool, but if you found a boxing gym with a vibe like Donnie's Real Gymm, that's the way to go!
                  THE CAGE WAS THE RAGE! Not only did it allow 6 or 7 baggers to punch, but you could check out others while your were punching. I agree with Spin - the cage really added a cool element to the atmosphere.
                  Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                  *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                  The Quest Continues...
                  Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• sparrky37
                    • Jan 2010

Most definately going with the rack design, Alan and Brian. I would like to get a couple racks together.

I'm thinking Labor Day weekend. September 3rd - 6th. Let me know if this timeframe sounds good to you all. I hope was hoping since there would be the 3 day weekend it would help travel times.

I'm going out tomorrow to scout out 4 - 5 places for starters. A couple places are fighting and boxing gyms.

Stay tuned for more details!!!

Thanks
                    Joshua/Sparrky

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Just a thought...

Originally posted by sparrky37 View Post
                      Most definately going with the rack design, Alan and Brian. I would like to get a couple racks together.

I'm thinking Labor Day weekend. September 3rd - 6th. Let me know if this timeframe sounds good to you all. I hope was hoping since there would be the 3 day weekend it would help travel times.

I'm going out tomorrow to scout out 4 - 5 places for starters. A couple places are fighting and boxing gyms.

Stay tuned for more details!!!

Thanks
                      Joshua/Sparrky

I've been thinking of the possibilities of having something in my part of the country (Seattle area). We have a few so-called fitness centers in my hometown, but NO GYMS with ANY speed bagging equipment. So, anyway, I have noticed that there are several vacant buildings – businesses that have either closed down or moved to another location. We have a couple of Auto Parts stores that are now empty. They're that basic 5,000-10,000(?) sq. ft. concrete/brick rectangular building with the metal I-beam high ceilings, probably with a couple of restrooms, and maybe an office in the back.

I don't know if there would be liability insurance issues, etc. But, maybe renting a facility like this (for a nominal fee, hopefully!) could work.

If you think about it, all you need is a building (with A/C!!) big enough to accommodate 2-3 speed bag cages, a few chairs or benches, decent lighting, and maybe some sturdy (cinderblock or concrete) walls that can have some platforms attached with some bolts, and enough room for 2-3 dozen speed-baggers! A location close to the airport would be a plus. In these times, some landlord just might consider renting out the space for a long weekend to satisfy the speed-baggin' addiction!

Anyway, it's just a thought...
                      Attached Files
                      sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
                      I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• sparrky37
                        • Jan 2010

Just an update I've been getting warm responses from MMA/Boxing gyms sent them an email of videos so they can get a better Idea. So hard to explain to them, and they don't have a set-up worthy of a demo. None the less. I have the priority locations presented.

I have a couple of back up locations. My buddy has an old historic warehouse in Old Town St. Charles not to far where I met Dragon and TJ for the first time. It would be cool. Another is Firefighters Union Hall.

Stay tuned for Details

Comment

• sparrky37
                          • Jan 2010

Just letting you all know I'm still working on this event. I'm getting extremely excited about it actually.

There are some big things evolving here, I don't want to give to many details in case stuff falls through. I just want to strongly encourage you to get ready for it. Looking at sometime in the fall. Originally I was thinking labor day weekend, but Alan Kahn The King won't be able to make that weekend. I think I speak for everyone in saying it wouldn't be a SpeedBag event without the King!

I will have more details soon.

Comment

• sparrky37
                            • Jan 2010

Location is a LOCK!

Comment

• metaldad
                              Speed Bag Guru
                              • Apr 2007

I'm glad it's coming together. I hope I can make this one! I mean for cryin' in the mud, St Louis is only a 5-6 hour drive from Chicago!
                              sigpic

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...