• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Event agenda

Ok gang, here's some ideas for event agenda. What would you like to see happen at SPEED B.A.G. 2010?

Here's some ideas I had

Class - Basic Bag 101
    Class - Advanced Bag (Double bumps, etc.)
    Class - Punch Drumming - Basic (on time punching)
    Class - Punch Drumming - Advanced (rythm punching)

The Bag Olympics (This would make a great set of clips for Youtube)

Competition - F-ROLL Speed - awards for longest and fastest. There is software that will dictate "Beats Per Minute" via the mic input, we could try that to measure. There are also 2 manufacturers of equipment that do this (Jim Bradley and another gentleman whose product is not yet released, but might be available). I'll look into securing some of those units.

Competition - Bag marathon - everyone starts bagging, you have a mis-hit , you're out. Last man standing wins. Will need watchers for each station.

Competition - Freestyle punching- points for showmanship, complexity , etc.

Competition - Most hits with a single rebound (excluding F-ROLL). Step up to the bag with your best advanced punch combination. The judges will tally your score and award a winner based on most single rebounds (If Dee Pooler shows up he'll probably win this one - we'll make him the judge).

Competition - Tiny bag champion. We'll take the smallest bag currently made (either Skunk's Everlast prototype or the new Title atomic) put it on a lightning fast u-bolt and see who can do the best on it. points for speed, no mishits, and complexity of course.

Competition - Big bag champion. Who wouldn't want that as their forum title for the next 12 months? We'll find someone to bring their craziest, biggest, water-melon look alike and see who can rock some outstanding combinations. Will require a very high mounted platform!

Competition - Spins - We'll see who can do the most successful spins in 1 minute. Scissor will judge.

Competition - Chain link - who can put the best combination on a chain link swivel? We'll make Scissor the judge for this one.

Manufacturer's midway - We'll have a wide variety of platforms, bags, swivels (u-bolt, chain, ball hook, etc.) You'll get a chance to try them out "side by side". Will make a video to put on youtube.

Outdoor Baggin' - Bag out in the jersey sunshine, Venice beach style. We plan on having an outdoor rack.

Punch Drumming - We're going to pick a few simple, easy to follow hits that we can get a GROUP PUNCH DRUM going for, and will video it. It would be awesome to see 7 or 8 people punch drumming in unison - We will have practice tracks announced before the event so that people can come prepared.

Video - Skits & Comedy - Scissor is going to write a script, be a part of the biggest speed bag skit ever to grace YouTube !!!

And of course, a whole lot of free style punching and striking to fill all the time in between !!!!!

What other ideas do you guys have ???
    Last edited by Tim; 03-06-2010, 05:10 AM.
  • metaldad
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2007

Tim it all sounds awesome. I can't think of anything, maybe the most complex song to punch drum to?
    sigpic

Comment

• Biff
      Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

WOW, Tim, I think you pretty much nailed it. You definitely have a lot more ideas than I do.

Comment

• spinsmashpop
        Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

One minute fist roll competition... including mis-hits... that's fine...just see how many times you connect while fist rolling for a minute...

Basic Over the Shoulder R, L speed comp...one minute... same thing.....

Comment

• Speedbag
          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by spinsmashpop View Post
          One minute fist roll competition... including mis-hits... that's fine...just see how many times you connect while fist rolling for a minute...

Basic Over the Shoulder R, L speed comp...one minute... same thing.....
          You could always video the competition and run it back in slow motion to count the number of hits or rebounds.
          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Jordan
            • Jun 2009

cant think of a thing to change sounds amazing

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

I think the majority of time should be free style, just goofin' around on the bag. Too much structure would be a bummer. We could probably do the whole Bag-lympics thing in a 2 hour period , maybe on Saturday afternoon, then go out on the town and celebrate.

Comment

• Speedbag
                Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                I think the majority of time should be free style, just goofin' around on the bag. Too much structure would be a bummer. We could probably do the whole Bag-lympics thing in a 2 hour period , maybe on Saturday afternoon, then go out on the town and celebrate.
                Any decent teaching seminar will take about 2 hours. One hour to demonstrate and the second to do a few minutes 1:1 under the board with people. A Punch Drumming seminar would take a bit longer, only because it would be almost impossible for a bunch of people to try and hit to music at the same time to LEARN it. It could be too hard to hear yourself and your bag beat with the music if a bunch of others are blasting away also to music. IF learning Punch Drumming, or advanced combinations etc. is something a lot of people want to do you might schedule more time for "teaching" than "contests". Personally I have much more interest in teaching and learning than contests.

If you want to have a contest, than make it count. Raise some money or awareness for a local charity, or needy gym member who could really use the help, but having the owner of Real Gymm contact the media, and see if the NBC sportscaster will challenge the CBS, Fox or ABC sportscaster to "a speed bag challenge". Or maybe the TV guys against the radio guys, or the fireman against the cops, etc. Get the media involved to start promoting the event by little on-air PSA spots challenging or promoting their viewers to come and see them "punch it out", against each other. They could go to the GYMM and make some pre-event promo's to generate interest, then have a requested "donation" to enter the gymm to see it at that time. Skunk or Scissorhands could do a promo video to send them as part of the show, and scissorhands could probably do a live promo with them, IN THE GYMM, which will promote the gymm (pay back for his help sponsoring the event), featuring some local media, promoting a local cause or help a local charity.

I did this kind of stuff as director of the Muscular Dystrophy Association for 6 years. The last two of "my memphis years" were dedicated to this, then three more in Columbus, Georgia. MEDIA PROMOTION IS AVAILABLE FREE if you make it interesting to them, novel for their viewers and involve local people. Get a couple of pro athletes from the area, or top models (yea, Adam IS a model) to appear and make promo's about it. Get the TV sports guys to challenge the newspaper sportswriter to a 3 minute punch-a-thon, to see who can hit it the most times. There are hundreds of angles to make this much bigger than a few baggers hanging out bagging. Along with the local media buzz, they can also mention the fact that some of the best known and most recognized baggers in the world will be there. If Title, Everlast, etc. knew that major media (even in a small town, TV involvment is major media), were going to show up and show their wares, they may be more inclined to send stuff. The radio stations, TV stations etc., can get a gazillion T-shirts printed on a media trade for nothing but a few on air plugs. Maybe a local IRAQ or AFGHANISTAN veteran needs some help, so all proceeds can go to that family. Promote it to Help a VET in need and hundreds of fellow vets may show up. Notify the local VFW (veterans of foreign wars) ALA (american legion auxilliary) or Vietnam Vets organizations that you're helping a vet in need and they normally show up in droves. Not everyone in the crowd will care about the speed bag, but that means little in the long run, for they will see it any, but the crowd will make the media event look much bigger, and a few large crowd pictures with noticeable major media coverage (even local TV is major media), will make the prospects for a really major
                "SPEED B.A.G. 2011" look better. Maybe the GYMM can get a local running club to do a 5k race that morning. Maybe a local karate school can do a few demonstrations (and they will want to if TV coverage is hanging around).

Get the local media guys interested in a novel event they can have fun with, get their viewers or readers involved, and it can get wild and crazy quick. I had ride-the-keg contests, Jell-o jumping contests, catch-the-big contests, racquetball marathons, bowling contests, putting contests,....you name it. Every time I got one sports guy to challenge another ON-AIR, it was huge. Each did pre-event promo's, some getting their viewers to join their team to "make a donation" (fund raising catch) to their efforts. We raised thousands of dollars doing this, and the media's required community service folders got full quick.

If you use this event to raise money for the local Muscular Dystrophy Association, then the MDA will help with some promotion, posters and perhaps contact some of their corporate sponsors to help. I had a lot of community events like this raise money for my MDA office, and in turn I got McDonalds, Budweiser, Hickory Farms and the Telethon TV station to promote it and cover it. We shot event footage, Then, months later on labor day, they came on our local telethon and presented a check to the host, and showed the footage event again. Then the group did an hour or so answering the phones on air behind the host. Trust me on this, YOU try to help them, and they can bring lots of help to help you do it. And the speed bag is NOVEL to most people. It's recognized but it is really an enigma, that known thing that is unknown to most. For THE GYMM, this could end up being a major promotion for them and very entertaining weekend for the media and community. But locals have to do this. And they would need to start now.
                Last edited by Speedbag; 03-10-2010, 09:24 PM.
                Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                The Quest Continues...
                Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                  Any decent teaching seminar will take about 2 hours. One hour to demonstrate and the second to do a few minutes 1:1 under the board with people.
                  I don't disagree, just remember we will have two separate bagging stations, one outside, one in. We can have 2 classes going at once, or freestyle outside, class inside, etc. Remember these stations will have 5 or more speed bags each. Let's say we have a BEGINNER class - for total novices. All would gather around one station as the teacher explains the basics and demonstrates. They then split up and grab a bagging station and practice for 5-10 minutes. The teacher rotates around stations and offers advice. It will be loud, I have no doubts about that. When the teacher sees all or most have made satisfactory progress, he demonstrates another technique or combination and the process repeats. I think that could work for beginers or advanced trainees.

The beauty of having REAL GYMM is we will have PLENTY of time for 1:1 training as well. Don's place is open until 8am-11pm on Friday and 8am-6PM on Saturday and Sunday - much better hours than a typical boxing gym. Anyone can grab someone else and say - show me how you do X.

A Punch Drumming seminar would take a bit longer, only because it would be almost impossible for a bunch of people to try and hit to music at the same time to LEARN it. It could be too hard to hear yourself and your bag beat with the music if a bunch of others are blasting away also to music. IF learning Punch Drumming, or advanced combinations etc.
                  Again, I don't disagree. I think to some degree we are blazing a trail here, trying to have multiple people learn punch drumming at the same time. I was thinking straight time punching to a song that we make known before the event so people can be ready for it. Something easy. To be honest, that time on the porch punching with Skunk and Brian it was almost easier, because if nothing else, I could simply match Brian's punching pace.

I think it's worth trying and maybe it works, or maybe it doesn't. We can always re-group on site and do something different.

is something a lot of people want to do you might schedule more time for "teaching" than "contests". Personally I have much more interest in teaching and learning than contests.
                  Agreed - Which is why I'm envisioning the bag-lympics to be limited to 2 hours max. It would give people time under the spotlight , teach them how to punch under pressure, and let's face it, give the pros a chance to show off a bit (let's face it, we like that!).

If you want to have a contest, than make it count. Raise some money or awareness for a local charity, or needy gym member who could really use the help, but having the owner of Real Gymm contact the media, and see if the NBC sportscaster will challenge the CBS, Fox or ABC sportscaster to "a speed bag challenge". Or maybe the TV guys against the radio guys, or the fireman against the cops, etc. Get the media involved to start promoting the event by little on-air PSA spots challenging or promoting their viewers to come and see them "punch it out", against each other. They could go to the GYMM and make some pre-event promo's to generate interest, then have a requested "donation" to enter the gymm to see it at that time. Skunk or Scissorhands could do a promo video to send them as part of the show, and scissorhands could probably do a live promo with them, IN THE GYMM, which will promote the gymm (pay back for his help sponsoring the event), featuring some local media, promoting a local cause or help a local charity.
                  Definitely an idea worth pursuing. I'll ask Don if he has any leads. We'll need to get his approval of course to have something major like this.

As a group can we focus the idea on what would make sense? Something bag related would make sense to me and satisfy the "novel" criteria. What do others think???

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                    Definitely an idea worth pursuing. I'll ask Don if he has any leads. We'll need to get his approval of course to have something major like this.
                    I talked to Don today , he is working on some local charity leads

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                    Working...