• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

SPEED BAG XII - July 2021

I checked in with Donnie, and Real Gymm is available for our annual gathering July 8-11, 2021.

The 8th is a Thursday - that would be a setup day.

Below is a proposed "Schedule" (recycled from last year's gathering that ultimately did not happen)

Thoughts?
    Feedback?
    Ideas?

Dates:
    Thur 7/8/2021 (Setup)
    Fri 7/9/2021 - Sun 7/11/2021 (event)

Where: Real Gymm, (1 American Legion Dr, Keyport NJ ): https://www.realgymm.com/

Much of the discussion was about having a SEMI-structured event - in other words - nobody wants a jam-packed schedule of an agenda - but people do want some form of organization and some "anchor" events and happenings.

As such, I'm proposing the following:

Thurs 7/8/2021

(This will be a setup day - where any new platforms are hung, equipment is moved, swivels refurbished, etc.)

Fri 7/9/2021

Generally this is a "meet and greet" day, but would include:

9am - Gym is open, and we'll have all day bag punching and chit chat - as we always do

2pm - Speed Bag Symphony Rehearsals - We'll have a short "punch drumming" class and practice time for this event that will happen on Day 2.

4pm : Charity Raffle Ticket Sales Open. We WILL have some nice items provided by vendors to raise money for Charity.

5pm : Speed Demon Practice session
    We will have a serious speed demon competition on Day 2. This will be planning a standardized swivel bag / setup and making two units accessible for practice. During this practice session, we will let people warm up and prepare for the actual competition and ensure all the equipment is working.

7pm : Dinner Reservation at Burlews (for 25.). - We will make an actual reservation in advance - so dinner goes smoothly

9pm - Onwards - Drinks and chat at McDonoughs Pub.

Saturday 07/10/2021

9am - Gym is open.

2pm Speed Bag Symphony - We will be publishing a "playlist" of speed bag punchable songs soon - the ideas is to get EVERYONE on a bag (that wishes to be involved punching in time to the music) - and video tape it etc. It will start with simple songs and progress to more and more difficult (until only Alan and Matt are left - LOL). This event will be videoed for sharing.

4pm - Charity raffle. We will randomly pick winners of items. Money will be donated to Charity.

5pm - Speed Demon competition - We will have a speed demon formal competition with a PRIZE. We will do the 1:00 countdown maximum number of punches. This event will be videoed for sharing.

7pm - Dinner Reservation at "Old Glory" (for approx 25).

9pm - Open bag punching back at the gym

Sunday 7/11/2021

10 AM - Group breakfast at Lenora's

Tear down/clean up/ etc.
  • dad
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Dec 2018

Tim, there are many of us for a variety of reasons who are not able to attend but still would like to show our support and be part of the gathering.
    Is there anyway you could produce a T-SHIRT honoring the event where all the proceeds go towards helping pay for the event or the charities you have selected that we can purchase online?

Comment

• Mickey Dix
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Jul 2019

I live about 1/2 hour away from real Gymm and will definitely be there. I can help with setup or anything else that needs to be done. I have cordless drills and saws or any other tools that may be needed.I will be there throughout the week/weekend of the gathering. Can’t wait!!!

Comment

• BagBoy
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Jan 2018

Flower girl Justin will likely still have the border closed making it almost impossible for me to get back home. Perhaps by then things will have uncovided and I'll be able to attend.
        Certifiable SBX Attendee 2019

@SpeedBagaZebo

Comment

• pinzpirate
          • Feb 2020

Originally posted by BagBoy View Post
          Flower girl Justin will likely still have the border closed making it almost impossible for me to get back home. Perhaps by then things will have uncovided and I'll be able to attend.
          The principal definition of insanity is doing the same thing repeatedly expecting a different result This COVID bullshit has academically become futile text book insanity When will the leaders of our countries abandon their nefarious agenda and let us get back to normal They would actually let you leave without offering you provisions to return home ? Unbelievable!!!

Comment

• BagBoy
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Jan 2018

Originally posted by pinzpirate View Post

The principal definition of insanity is doing the same thing repeatedly expecting a different result This COVID bullshit has academically become futile text book insanity When will the leaders of our countries abandon their nefarious agenda and let us get back to normal They would actually let you leave without offering you provisions to return home ? Unbelievable!!!
            I was being half facetious and you're 100% correct!
            Certifiable SBX Attendee 2019

@SpeedBagaZebo

Comment

• mvult2
              Speed Bag Trainee
              • Feb 2021

This would be a lot of fun. I would love to connect with others to learn side-strike connections (I still can't do it) and punch drumming. I'm afraid July will be too soon to be COVID-safe, however. Is there a chance this might be scheduled for later in the year, when there's a greater possibility we would be vaccinated?

Comment

• Speedbag
                Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

ROOM RSVP info.

Our "inside girl" Nancy, front desk manager, has arranged for speed baggers to get a bout a 20% discount on rooms.

But...to get the discount you need to CALL HER (nancy) at (732) 888-2800

Rates Wed 7th and Thursday 8th are $99.00
                Rates Fri - 10th -Saturday 11th are $155.00

You need to call before June 7th to get this rate. She is off Tuesdays and Wednesdays, so any other day 8- 5pm is fine. that EST (new jersey)

Nancy has been with us since SB-1 in 2010 and always keeps us on changes. just tell her you are with the speed bag gathering.
                Attached Files
                Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                The Quest Continues...
                Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Magzbagz
                  Speed Bag Trainee
                  • Jan 2021

Thanks! I’ll be there

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by mvult2 View Post
                    This would be a lot of fun. I would love to connect with others to learn side-strike connections (I still can't do it) and punch drumming. I'm afraid July will be too soon to be COVID-safe, however. Is there a chance this might be scheduled for later in the year, when there's a greater possibility we would be vaccinated?
                    Hi - I thought about this a bit. But, if not July - August? Sept ? Oct? I don't know that anyone can predict when that will be. Generally speaking, we get best attendance when we commit to a date 5-6 months in advance. I'm optimistic that a good portion of the population will be vaccinated by then.

As long as Real Gymm is open to the public, I say we hold the gathering (and abide by whatever standards are legally required).

The other thing to consider - the 3rd floor that Donnie let's us use is HUGE. The 2019 event was not very crowded at all.

Tim

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Tim View Post

Hi - I thought about this a bit. But, if not July - August? Sept ? Oct? I don't know that anyone can predict when that will be. Generally speaking, we get best attendance when we commit to a date 5-6 months in advance. I'm optimistic that a good portion of the population will be vaccinated by then.

As long as Real Gymm is open to the public, I say we hold the gathering (and abide by whatever standards are legally required).

The other thing to consider - the 3rd floor that Donnie let's us use is HUGE. The 2019 event was not very crowded at all.

Tim
                      Also - we had an outdoor bagging station.

Comment

• dad
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Dec 2018

Originally posted by dad View Post
                        Tim, there are many of us for a variety of reasons who are not able to attend but still would like to show our support and be part of the gathering.
                        Is there anyway you could produce a T-SHIRT honoring the event where all the proceeds go towards helping pay for the event or the charities you have selected that we can purchase online?
                        Sorry Tim I don't mean to be a pest but this would be great advertisement on the street, in the gym, sports bars and restaurants for the sport, the gathering, Speed Bag Bible and has the possibility of adding more dollars to the charities the gathering supports. Also, those who attend could have a special shirt for attendees only. Your thoughts please.

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by dad View Post

Sorry Tim I don't mean to be a pest but this would be great advertisement on the street, in the gym, sports bars and restaurants for the sport, the gathering, Speed Bag Bible and has the possibility of adding more dollars to the charities the gathering supports. Also, those who attend could have a special shirt for attendees only. Your thoughts please.
                          This is a great idea. I'm all thumbs when it comes to graphic design though. Do you have a design in mind?

Comment

• dad
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Dec 2018

I wish I did but can't help you there, however I'm sure there are many talented speed baggers, maybe this is the time to put out a new post " Calling All Speed Baggers" for help.

Comment

• dad
                              Speed Bag Guru
                              • Dec 2018

After thinking about it one thing I would like to see included on the art work is at lease a small section that refers to " ART of the BAG", we all owe so much to Mr. Khan whether your a boxing or bible style bagger.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...