• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • flipkick7
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jan 2008

make speed bag faster

hi this is my first post on the forum
    i was wondering what is the best way to make my speed bag bouce off off the platform better.....ive tried putting a bag of sand on top of the platform....it work ok but i would like it to bounce faster i am going to try screwing some wood in top of the platform
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

More weight almost never hurts... (provided it's safe!). There is probably a point of diminishing returns though. I've got 80 lbs over mine right now, and I don't think 100 lbs would make a significant difference.

What sort of platform do you have ? The thin or multiple piece drums that come with many bargain sets are pretty bad. Make, buy, or otherwise acquire a thick (1" or more) one piece drum if possible. As wide as possible is good for extra weight as well, i.e. 30" instead of 24".

Another key is the elimination of as much vibration as possible. That's where the weight over the board helps. Vibration is wasted energy not being returned to the bag for the rebound. You should also ensure your platform is securely fastened to the wall. There are inherent limitations of the freestanding platforms, they'll never be as good as a wall mounted unit. Get a wall mounted unit if at all possible.

What kind of swivel do you have? Personally I think it's better to have a ball hook that is as short as possible. More length on the swivel gives a longer arc, which makes the rebounds slow and feel sloppy. Bags with short loops (specifically Everlast) help here as well, less length = less arc = quicker rebound.

Finally, does your bag have the correct amount of air? Too soft = slower rebounds

Hope that helps. Post up some pics or even better, video , if you can!
    Last edited by Tim; 01-25-2008, 06:29 AM.

Comment

• Mel
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Jan 2008

One other thing

Tim has given some great advise and I agree with him. I have made modifications to my platform; doubled the platform(see my thread on Lowe's pine disk) and piled on sandbags. However, the one thing I found that really speeds up my bag is...practice and technique. As the King has said, speed will come;control is the key.

Watching VDO's of Alan Kahn, Skunk,and Tim make me believe that they could be using a bag attached to a pizza platter and it would be going supersonic.Their incredible technique would make up for any deficiencies in equipment.

Comment

• speedbag4life
        • Jun 2007

... if you're using a ball-hook swivel, make sure it's sufficiently lubricated. Brake grease will do.

Comment

• dsmith2296
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Dec 2007

Put at least 50 - 75 lbs on top- safely and securely

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
          Working...