• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chetwood
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Sep 2007

Getting ready to (attempt) to build a new platform

Greetings to all from sunny (and freaking hot) South Carolina. Have just joined the forum and have been enjoying the many posts.

I am getting ready to try and build a new platform for my speed bag. It is currently on one of the stands but it takes up too much floor space in my shed. I have hung the heavy bag from the rafters and now I want to build a new platform so I can remove the stand altogether. When completed I will have a stand if anyone wants it (for free, of course)

I've enjoyed looking at the ones that several of you have built. I'm no carpenter, to say the least. I may need some pointers as I go along.
    I also have two old everlast 1" drums put together which is ok, but I sure would like one like Chris M has. Hey Chris, how much would you charge to make another drum like yours and ship it to SC?

Needless to say, ya'll may never see pics of mine.
    John
  • Chris M
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Mar 2006

As much as I would enjoy making a drum for you, I no longer have my woodworking shop at the moment and all my tools are in storage.

We haven't heard from him in a while, but Forthaney had someone make him a custom drum that looked like it turned out nicely. He has listed the contact of the guy who made his and his prices are very reasonable. Here's a link to it: http://www.speedbagforum.com/forums/...read.php?t=437

For reference, I would probably charge about $100 (only for forum members) or so for a nice drum like I made, and that's not including shipping. These suckers are kind of heavy, I estimate mine weighs about 20 pounds or so so shipping wouldn't be cheap either.
    Last edited by Chris M; 09-24-2007, 06:58 AM.

Comment

• Chetwood
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Sep 2007

Thanks Chris for your reply. My late father was also a Master Craftsman; by hobby. I have an old workbench that he made and I don't use it much but it does have a solid 2" maple top. The bench is about 8 feet long. It just sits in my carport because it's too heavy to move.

I will check out the other link.
      Thanks.

Comment

• Chris M
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Chetwood View Post
        Thanks Chris for your reply. My late father was also a Master Craftsman; by hobby. I have an old workbench that he made and I don't use it much but it does have a solid 2" maple top. The bench is about 8 feet long. It just sits in my carport because it's too heavy to move.

I will check out the other link.
        Thanks.
        The Master Craftsman term was assigned to me by Tim without my input. I don't consider myself a Craftsman, merely a hobbyist with attention to detail.

BTW, don't let that maple table top get wet unless you have it well protected from moisture. A couple of good coat of paste wax will take care of that.

Comment

• Tim
          Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Chris M View Post
          The Master Craftsman term was assigned to me by Tim without my input. I don't consider myself a Craftsman, merely a hobbyist with attention to detail.
          Heh, I wasn't aware there was any sort of official accreditation that went with that... I can change it. How about Woodworking Hobbyist?

Comment

• Chris M
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Tim View Post
            Heh, I wasn't aware there was any sort of official accreditation that went with that... I can change it. How about Woodworking Hobbyist?
            Doesn't matter man. Whatever you see fit.

Comment

• Kyle
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Tim View Post
              keep it he is the master of woodworking
              ________
              TotalORGASM cam
              Last edited by Kyle; 09-11-2011, 06:35 AM.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
              Working...