• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drjay9051
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Dec 2015

Problems with S hook swivel

New bagger. I have been at it for a week using chain link swivel and 6x9 bag. Good triplets and fist roll.

Last night I switched out my chain link for a Deville 13 s hook swivel.

I had read that the chain link could result is some "wandering" of the bag and the S swivel was more "pure"

I find the opposite. With the chain link I never really lost control but with the S hook the bag wanders all over the board and I continually need to stop bag and start over.

Is this just a matter of getting used to the S hook?

I am really lost on this.

I do like the sound of the S hook and imagine that once I am able to get a good rhythm going I can add music and go for it.

I considered changing back to the chain link out of frustration but there must be a trick to prevent the wandering with the S hook.

Any help is appreciated.

I am hitting the belly of the bag. not too high or low.

Help please
  • Speedbag Seaweed Man
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2015

Hi drjay9051. Sounds like a normal experience for a newbie switching to a ballhook. When you are used to hitting a chainlink, or U-bolt unbeknownst the swivel is actually doing the job of tracking the bag for you. Hit the front and it rebounds straight back. With a ballhook, hit the front just a little to one side and the bag will reflect that in it's rebound and may veer off. It is this quality in the ballhook which makes them ideal for Bible Style baggin. It's all good though. It won't take long for you to adjust and better to now than leave the transition for later. For more specific tips post up a video and the help will pour in. Have fun.

Comment

• drjay9051
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Dec 2015

Originally posted by Speedbag Seaweed Man View Post
      Hi drjay9051. Sounds like a normal experience for a newbie switching to a ballhook. When you are used to hitting a chainlink, or U-bolt unbeknownst the swivel is actually doing the job of tracking the bag for you. Hit the front and it rebounds straight back. With a ballhook, hit the front just a little to one side and the bag will reflect that in it's rebound and may veer off. It is this quality in the ballhook which makes them ideal for Bible Style baggin. It's all good though. It won't take long for you to adjust and better to now than leave the transition for later. For more specific tips post up a video and the help will pour in. Have fun.

Thanks.

I'll try to get a video up.

DrJ

Comment

• Commander
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Mar 2015

It took me a couple of weeks to adjust -- and once I started focusing more, the improvements were rapid. But for a while I was a bit frustrated, with the bag going every which way. I slowed down, and used a slightly larger bag, and that seemed to be the trick. I'm now using the Title Gold bag on the DeVille swivel and having much better results. I'm a newbie as well.

Comment

• Shep
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Nov 2015

I had a similar experience. I am a complete newb to speedbags and I actually went the direction of a u-bolt type swivel after getting frustrated to hell with my deville. Don't get me wrong, I like it and see its potential... but I admit that I'm not at that level yet. I will probably continue to use the u-bolt for a month or two 'till I get that down before switching to the deville again.

Comment

• stefoz
            • Apr 2015

Do not get frustrated .stay on the S hook and go slowly on it.focus on the bag and hit it on the center ( belly)Don't go wasting any more time on the u bolt.
            Eventually there is no way around it.good luck!!(don't go any smaller than 6x9)

Comment

• speedball708
              • Apr 2015

I did the same, I went from a chainlink to a deville and had the same problem. I then tried an everlast ball hook swivel and it was a much easier transition from an everlast chain link to an everlast ballhook. After a couple months of an everlast ball hook swivel, I then put the deville back on and the transition was much easier with very little adjustment. The everlast plastic ball hook swivel is good to prepare you for the deville swivel too. It's plastic but it's performance is really good. And it's under 10$.
              Last edited by speedball708; 12-27-2015, 09:12 PM.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
              Working...