• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sendmorecops
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • May 2012

Any advice for a new finger amputee?

Hey all. It's been a long time since I've posted anything but I thought this would be the best place to seek advice and maybe some support. In June I lost 2/3 of my ring finger due to a wedding ring related accident. I've been struggling with depression as a result. Really a hard thing to get used to. Especially when the things in life that bring me joy involve my hands (boxing, speed bagging, calisthenics). I've been able to get back to calisthenics but boxing and speed bagging have proved a little more difficult. My stump reaches past my other knuckles by a good quarter inch making mistakes on hooks and uppercuts somewhat painful. I guess it's just more incentive to strike accurately. I know I can get back to it and really want to but I'm having trouble getting motivated. I'll get out there, try bagging for a bit and get discouraged over something that I used to be able to do. Any advice on getting over this hump?
  • mirokiuru
    • Jun 2015

Im sorry to hear about your situation :/ You can be sure you get full support from speedbag brothers and sisters here at forum, im sure we find a way to help you
    first i thought about finger prothes. if you can bend your amputated finger almost into fist, i think semi hard plastic prothes could be good!
    secondly i thought hand wraps. Have you tried to use handwraps to support your fingers and fist while speed bagging? that could reduce the pain caused by hitting the bag.
    I personally know how hard its to accept that you arent good as you used to be. I was at samesituation years ago after knee surgery what stopped/slowed really much my kickboxing training for almost year . i couldn't use my right leg so i improved my hands and my left leg. Positive mind is key word! If you cant do something, think what things are you able to do whit speedbag and master them. Dont let your accident to make you feel like you should not speedbag anymore!
    Sorry for my bad english i just wanted to help a brother! I hope all good to you, greetings from Finland!
    Last edited by mirokiuru; 09-09-2015, 02:53 PM.

Comment

• Speedbag Seaweed Man
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Apr 2015

Originally posted by [B
      mirokiuru;50075]Im sorry to hear about your situation :/ You can be sure you get full support from speedbag brothers and sisters here at forum, im sure we find a way to help you [/B]
      first i thought about finger prothes. if you can bend your amputated finger almost into fist, i think semi hard plastic prothes could be good!
      secondly i thought hand wraps. Have you tried to use handwraps to support your fingers and fist while speed bagging? that could reduce the pain caused by hitting the bag.
      I personally know how hard its to accept that you arent good as you used to be. I was at samesituation years ago after knee surgery what stopped/slowed really much my kickboxing training for almost year . i couldn't use my right leg so i improved my hands and my left leg. Positive mind is key word! If you cant do something, think what things are you able to do whit speedbag and master them. Dont let your accident to make you feel like you should not speedbag anymore!
      Sorry for my bad english i just wanted to help a brother! I hope all good to you, greetings from Finland!
      Miro is bang on. We are here for you- keep those elbows up!
      Perhaps you can help alleviate some of the discomfort by adapting the shape of your fists on contact with the bag. i notice my own hands are seldom clenched into a tight fist, often they are quite open. Also I imagine front straight punches, hooks and uppercuts may be a bit sore but hopefully by substituting them with front circle punches, side single punches and reverse single punches you will still keep the bag going with less pain. (These will contact your hand either at the little finger end, or the thumb side of the fist.)
      Thanks for sharing- a problem shared is a problem halved. I hope. Either way I find your courage inspiring and I hope you bag your way through this with us and bounce back.

Comment

• stefoz
        • Apr 2015

my good friend your challenge is huge ,nothing the human spirit could not handle though,bag on and the speed bag world is on your side .

I am sure Alan Kahn would have a word of advise for you.

this might help

Alan Kahn, author of "The Speed Bag Bible" shares his thoughts on using the speed bag as a rehabilitation tool. As much fun as the speed bag is... it is so m...

Comment

• Commander
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Mar 2015

One suggestion I would have as an RN is to check with your orthopedic surgeon about this issue - many of them are former jocks so they know the joys of competition and physical activity. One thought that comes to mind is to have a splint made by a physical therapist that holds that stump in a partially flexed position, compatible with a fist. I'm not even sure if this is a viable solution, since the splint may transmit the impact of the punch in an uncomfortable manner. Hopefully, it would help protect the stump, especially in combination with hand wraps or some other form of protection. But I really think you should talk with the surgeon. You don't want to jeopardize the entire finger.
          I think there is a solution to this, but it may take some experimenting. Hang in there, I admire your perseverance. You'll succeed. Best of luck to you!
          Last edited by Commander; 10-19-2015, 01:39 PM.

Comment

• lowpolyjoe
            • Jun 2015

Sorry to hear about your finger. Good luck with your recovery

Comment

• sendmorecops
              Speed Bag Trainee
              • May 2012

Thank you all for the words of support and encouragement. Miro you are right about keeping a PMA - that is key even though it can be difficult at times. Since checking in last I've been doing just that. I have been working out more, sparred once and began jui-jitsu/judo. I've been wearing a gel finger sleeve which provides some cushioning, worn wraps when boxing and tape my stump to my middle finger when doing jui-jitsu to avoid injury. It's going great so far, just a matter of finding a way to adapt. Plus, being active and involved in martial arts is really helping with my depression. I've spoken with an orthopedic surgeon and was referred to a prosthetics supplier. Hopefully there is something out there that can give me some added protection and dexterity. I've seen some prosthesis that look promising and even some that you can download the plans for and print yourself with a 3D printer. Thanks again and I'll keep everyone informed as I progress. I plan on uploading a before and after (amputation) speed bag video in the near future.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
              Working...