• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ozHarris
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • May 2015

My bag... :)

Setup my own first platform today..

I have no experience with a speed bag or boxing in general.
    Very basic setup. Just a platform that I made from bits that I found at work..
    Can you guys let me know if the bag height looks close enough.
    The bag and swivel was given as a gift. The bag seems fine. I have attached a closer pic of the swivel. It seems too long to me (half the length of the bag)? This is the first thing I look at upgrading..

Cheers..
    Attached Files
  • Speedbag Seaweed Man
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2015

Hey bro,

Looks like you definitely don't have it too low. It looks a bit high, but that can be corrected by standing on a low step. The swivel is very long aye. Say you replaced that someday with a Deville swivel, the bag would go higher still as the deville swivel is nice and compact.
    I stand on a pallet with a bit of ply ontop. This gets my mouth level with the fattest part of my bag.
    I put a tooth pick in my mouth and stood in front of the bag to see where it met. Being too low makes things difficult down the track, passing the fists to behind the bag, elbows etc.
    Looks like the bag is level with your eyes? Hard to tell for sure, but probably 50-75mm too high..

Comment

• Speedbag Seaweed Man
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Apr 2015

Can you further anchor the platform above, diagonally, from the front of the platform to the wall? The bag looks scared of you already, when you start to hammer it you want it to be as solid as you can. I have the same type thing, a ghetto rig built from whatever

Comment

• Niki Knuckles
        • Apr 2012

Hello, welcome.

I have been telling people all the time to start speed bagging just the way you have started. As inexpensive as possible. Homemade platforms, free bags and swivels. Great for the beginner. Good for you that you got started.

I agree, the platform is way high. The swivel is too long. I have my bags in my face. My eyes are in between the top and bottom laces. The bottom of the bag is about parallel with my Adams apple. My mouth is lined up with the apex of the belly of the bag. Give or take... It's all approximate.

I can put my hand on my head and just fit under the platform, with shoes on. About 1 inch between the top of my head and the bottom of the platform.

This is my way. We all have are own comfort, speed, power, longevity/stamina, budgets, areas to hit in, old war injury, etc., that determine what we need.
        Don't buy your speed bag from the same place you buy your tackle box.

Comment

• ozHarris
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • May 2015

Thanks guys..
          I made myself a platform to stand on..
          After my first crack, about 15 minutes into it, the bag flew off..
          The cheap ass swivel broke.

I've now replaced this and finally had a good run on the bag this morning.
          I am surprised how easy it is to start off.
          I am obviously still pretty crap at it but happy with my first weeks progress.

My board seems flimsy so I am looking at upgrading already.. I have caught the speed bag bug

Comment

• ozHarris
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • May 2015

Comment

• Speedbag Seaweed Man
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Apr 2015

Mean. Good to hear you have the bug too. Us addicts like to drag others into our world of addiction so that we are not alone. Looks like you have a good wall there to mount your board up on. Solid one.

Comment

• ozHarris
                Speed Bag Trainee
                • May 2015

One minutes footage out of 30 minutes of recording... I am pretty crap still.
                I need to learn to keep my arms up high..

Comment

• Niki Knuckles
                  • Apr 2012

Nothing to be ashamed of. I'm still shy about posting videos. Brave, fearless to post. I should do it as well.

The bug is awesome. The world would be a better place if every home had a platform.

Your first video is impressive. The second video, I would like to recommend that you fist punch the bag with your knuckles, on rebound side palm punch like your doing. Alternate hands. So it would be like; knuckles, palm, switch, knuckles, palm, switch. Move your body side to side. Bit different then your video. You where palm, palm, switch, palm, palm. With a stiff body. It's not better, just different.
                  Don't buy your speed bag from the same place you buy your tackle box.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                  Working...