• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tl12356
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • May 2015

Newbe bag selection

Totally new in the game... but here to stay for sure.
    Thinking about Title Advanced Bag, 6x9, or maybe 5x8...
    What would think would be the smart choice for a beginner?
    Comments and direction needed...
  • Dutchman
    Speed Bag Historian
    • Jun 2006

I would recommend the 6 x 9. The 5 x 8 may prove to be discouraging (difficult to control) for a beginner. Personally I don't own anything smaller than a 6 x 9, but then I'm also known to prefer the old school large bags.

Comment

• Speedbag Seaweed Man
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Apr 2015

Originally posted by ventanakaz
      I agree, A 6x9 would be the better size for a beginner. I would go for a better bag though.
      Hey ventanakaz- I read your advice on here about replacing the stock bladders with the orange ones Title sell and decided to take that advice.

A 5x8 yellow title bag arrived for me today and I inflated it an had a go. Then replaced the black bladder with an orange one I got with the new bag and it made a very noticeable difference indeed.

Yes faster! lighter feeling on the fists and way more bouncy.

Then I put the other orange bladder I got into my other bag and found the same improvements. So stoked, it has brought it back to life.

I have heard good things about the Fighting Sports 6x9 bag but haven't tried one myself.

Comment

• Speedbag Seaweed Man
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Apr 2015

That's one of the things I noticed after I put the orange blad into the title bag- The bicep burn was gone. I'm not after for the exercise so much, I get plenty of that without looking for it. Have any bags you just loved from first sight?

Comment

• Dutchman
          Speed Bag Historian
          • Jun 2006

I don't know about Ralph, but for me the Ringside bags from the late 1980's were really good deals for the money. Well made, very responsive , they filled a niche in the market very well. Then for whatever reason they changed suppliers. Same old story.

Comment

• speedball708
            • Apr 2015

I've tried alot of bags and I always liked my pro mex bags. There shape, rebound , and durability are excellent. I would recommend a 7× 10 black pro mex bag for your first bag.It's a couple bucks more but totally worth it. I have all 3 sizes and there all fantastic. I would start with pro mex and go from there. Once you get the rhythm down you'll find yourself experimenting with other bags. Good luck, be patient!

Comment

• Niki Knuckles
              • Apr 2012

7x10 for a new beginner. 6x9 possibly.
              Don't buy your speed bag from the same place you buy your tackle box.

Comment

• Niki Knuckles
                • Apr 2012

It's a sure bet for me, that for $20 bucks. I can source online a used deal. Everything: Platform, swivel, and bag. All of it. $20 bucks. Locally!

I recommend a total piece of shit bag to start with. Like a free one, used cheap one. $5 bucks in parts. Key rings, coat hanger, duct tape. Then in a couple months, get a lesser piece of shit bag. You will be so good that the bag wont keep up. Or you killed it. You progress to the new bag. Kill it, repeat. Do the same for size. Start with 7x10, then get 6x9, then 5x8...

Right now everything is good enough for you. Just get started. Then you will find better deals, for better stuff.

Good luck.
                Don't buy your speed bag from the same place you buy your tackle box.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                Working...