X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Del-Striking
    • Aug 2014

Worm drive recommendations

So after a fair amount of badgering I think the Rec center I work for May be getting close to approving the installation of a couple platforms. Since many people of different heights will need access I was thinking a worm drive unit would be best. I'm looking for some recommendations for a durable well made adjustable unit. I'm very excited and appreciate your feedback. Thanks
  • Del-Striking
    • Aug 2014

Originally posted by ventanakaz
    I don't own one, but I was thinking (Valor) platform...ralph
    Yeah after doing some internet research it looks like they're the only one that sells a 2" thick drum. I remember seeing Alan using one on a number of videos or was that just a counterbalanced system? Thanks Ralph I'll wait to see if some more people chime in but I think you're right.

Comment

• 45LongColt
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Jan 2015

Here are my opinions on the Valor (Title has the same unit)

Plus
      • Heavy duty frame, nice welds
      • Price point is okay
      • Worm drive gear works for casual adjusting

Cons
      • The 2" drum is compressed wood fiber (not my choice of platform)
      • The frame does not align for wall studs (I shot (3) lengths of 2x6's into my concrete wall then mounted to it)
      • Handle to adjust the height is made out of plastic, subject to break eventually.
      • Instructions a little difficult to follow

Overall I am happy with it. If you could just buy the frame and mount your own drum to it, even better. Bag and swivel are low grade, so your not really getting anything for that. Lastly, I added 50lbs of weight to the top of the drum to cut the vibration/noise level, which worked great, but I have to remove it each time I want to adjust the platform up... pain in the butt. So I made my son a platform to stand on, better than adjusting it from him to me. Although, initially, much easier to get fully adjusted to your liking then unbolting and moving such as other units.

Hope this helps.

Colt

Comment

• Del-Striking
        • Aug 2014

Originally posted by 45LongColt View Post
        Here are my opinions on the Valor (Title has the same unit)

Plus
        • Heavy duty frame, nice welds
        • Price point is okay
        • Worm drive gear works for casual adjusting

Cons
        • The 2" drum is compressed wood fiber (not my choice of platform)
        • The frame does not align for wall studs (I shot (3) lengths of 2x6's into my concrete wall then mounted to it)
        • Handle to adjust the height is made out of plastic, subject to break eventually.
        • Instructions a little difficult to follow

Overall I am happy with it. If you could just buy the frame and mount your own drum to it, even better. Bag and swivel are low grade, so your not really getting anything for that. Lastly, I added 50lbs of weight to the top of the drum to cut the vibration/noise level, which worked great, but I have to remove it each time I want to adjust the platform up... pain in the butt. So I made my son a platform to stand on, better than adjusting it from him to me. Although, initially, much easier to get fully adjusted to your liking then unbolting and moving such as other units.

Hope this helps.

Colt
        Thanks Colt, I'm surprised that you would still need to put weight on top of this unit, it looks sturdy and heavy but I guess when lacking the density of a solid wood drum it probably helps. I've yet to see a demo of this product in action, adjusting the unit and striking the speedbag. Do you have a video of this? That would be most informative. Thanks again.

Comment

• Dutchman
          Speed Bag Historian
          • Jun 2006

The Valor Fitness Speed Bag Platform was made with the thought process of how a speed bag platform should work. The reinforced steel tubes that support the p...

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
          Working...