• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sal76
    • Feb 2015

wooden platform

Hi guys, I wanted some advice !!!
    Should I cut a pine tree and an oak tree with a diameter of 28 in (70 cm) and I got the 'idea of creating a platform thick 5 in.
    Which do you recommend wood between the pine and oak?
    Non cercate di prendere i poeti perché vi scapperanno tra le dita.
    Alda Merini
  • paranday
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Sep 2009

You might enjoy this thread, the guy used end grain douglas-fir,

Classified ads - Equipment for sale, trade, or wanted to buy (WTB). No Spam allowed. Please keep it related to the speed bag and fitness related equipment.

Comment

• Sal76
      • Feb 2015

I understand, fir and one of the best woods for platforms.
      Unfortunately the choice between pine and oak?
      The pine tell me that I should leave it for months out why lose the resin and after use.
      The oak and good but has a defect that when it matures too likely to crack.
      Alda Merini

Comment

• swfl
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Apr 2013

My vote is for the oak. It may check some with time but you could fill it if it bothers you. I use IPE and it is also a very heavy wood.

Comment

• Sal76
          • Feb 2015

SWFL Thanks for the tip, I approached anchio at the thought of the oak being much tougher Pine.
          IPE here in Italy there is or if there is need to order it, is one of the strongest woods in the world and is also difficult to wear with moisture.
          Alda Merini

Comment

• paranday
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Sep 2009

I think mesquite would be great. Bet Speedbag hadn't even thought of it.

Comment

• Sal76
              • Feb 2015

I do not know why the mesquite in Italy does not exist, I have read that it is a tree mainly Mexico, Texas and California.
              Maybe I found The Douglas fir what you think?
              Alda Merini

Comment

• paranday
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Sep 2009

User Kenk likes his round fir platform which ended up weighing 61 Lbs (27" diameter, 5" thick). Please note that he used end grain for the face, he did that in hopes of better rebound.
                Attached Files

Comment

• Sal76
                  • Feb 2015

It paranday, the view through the link you posted, and beautiful and I congratulate Kenk.
                  The result with the bags which 'is?
                  I thought I was thick pull directly from the trunk of the tree
                  Alda Merini

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                  Working...