• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kre8ful
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Feb 2015

Metal Ball And Hook Swivel

it has been years (guessing 20ish) since I have hit the speed bag for real,
    and mine being an outdoor one the board had fallen apart.
    I have constructed a new one with a few coats of marine finish, and would love to find a newer 'Metal Ball And Hook Swivel'
    WHAT THE HECK HAPPENED to the cool removable Everlast swivels with hooks
    and since Everlast is not making them anymore, why has no other company started to manufacture a quality one like the good old school kind???
    Is there anybody out here that knows of any that are available?
    Thank you in advance for your time and info :-)
  • Dutchman
    Speed Bag Historian
    • Jun 2006

One of our members here, Jumpcannon designed and built a metal ball and hook swivel that equaled, nay exceeded the old style Everlast ones. For a while he made them one at a time in his home shop making them available for sale to the community here. However when the economy picked up his employer (a major railroad) has had him out on the road more than he was home, and the production has ceased indefinitely. His swivels were not the two piece with the screw in flange base like the Everlast ones, The base was a one piece precision machined, with a precision ground ball that the hook was attached to.

If you are not interested in the fine DeVille swivels that another one of our members make, then I'm afraid that your best bet is trolling eBay and Craigs list for the old, pre buyout Everlast ones. Beware the late production ones that were made after Everlast changed hands and left Brooklyn. They are chrome plated castings that have the nasty habit of the plating flaking off and into your eyes.

Comment

• Kre8ful
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Feb 2015

old 's' Everlast mount

The old one I currently have has been out in the weather elements.
      It says:Everlast New York
      This is a 'S' swivel.
      I do like unscrewing the mount and bringing the ban inside to protect it.
      I also have still in the box an old Everlast 'Pro' swivel, this has the 'chain' end, I much prefer the 'S' swivel for ease of changing the bag on the mount.
      ~ Peace

Comment

• Dutchman
        Speed Bag Historian
        • Jun 2006

Your old ball and hook swivel can be cleaned up, we've had several of our members here do that. The old ones were well made of quality materials. In the long run it may be much easier and less expensive than trying to find a replacement.

Comment

• fedora
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Kre8ful View Post
          The old one I currently have has been out in the weather elements.
          It says:Everlast New York
          This is a 'S' swivel.
          Steel wool, some lubricating oil and some elbow action and it will be back in business. Just take the hook out of the ball with an Allen wrench and clean out the ball socket and the ball along with the rest of the swivel.

fedora

Comment

• Kre8ful
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Feb 2015

Thank you
            Dutchman Dutchman and Fedora,
            No problem with elbow grease.
            This bag & swivel is on its way in the mail to me, due on Friday

from reading the stuff on this forum, the swivel is not an older one?

My bag is an older #4213 bag with the olympic rings from 1984, it still has life in it, but shows a lot of wear.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Kre8ful; 02-18-2015, 09:52 PM. Reason: trying to add photo

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
            Working...