• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • crashtom
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Feb 2015

I think I'm out of luck

I was planning to build the wooden freestanding platform stand as seen in these posts untill I measured my ceiling height. I only have 90 inches floor to ceiling and the stand is for ceilings 96 inches or higher. I'm 6-2 and I'm worried that the height of the drum would be too low for me with the adjustable Balazs I beam platform or any other brand for that matter. Can anyone with the Balazs I beam please measure from the Top of the adjustable frame to the bottom of the speedbag with the drum in the highest position? That way I can deduct that many inches from the 90 inch ceiling height to see where the bottom of the bag would hang. I think it's going to be very close to being useable and I don't want to build the platform stand if the bag hangs too low. Again, sorry for being such a pain but I really want to get a platform up in this room.

Do a lot of you hang your platforms on your walls in your house directly? I guess the load and vibrations would be spread across three studs so maybe it wouldn't be so bad on my house, I'm just worried about shaking the house apart! Thanks
    Last edited by crashtom; 02-15-2015, 12:37 PM.
  • MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Hi Crashtom and welcome to the forum. My partner, Raul builds non-adjustable speed bag platforms that are very compact, yet, VERY sturdy. Raul has been hitting the bag since he was a kid. He's a builder and has built all of his own platforms over the years. We have been selling them for the past couple of years. (We also build ball-hook swivels, see my email at the bottom of this message.)

Here are a couple of videos of the platform. It's lightweight, it weighs less than 35 lbs. It's best if mounted to a couple of horizontal 2x6's that run the span of 3 studs. This way, it will cut down on vibration and be very sturdy.

We sell the "X-15" platform for $400 at this time. Shipping is approx. $60, I think. Anyway, I thought I'd throw this out there and let you decide if this is something that would work for you.

The Deville X-15 platform has been designed for optimum performance. The frame is made from 1/8" 1-1/2" steel box tubing. It includes a 24" solid wood drum w...

Here is a video showing how we mounted the platform in our garage.

I tried the water test on my custom speed bag platform — the "DEVILLE X-15." I wanted to see how much it would vibrate when punching. I also wanted to see if...

When I took up speed bagging, Raul built this freestanding platform for me.

I know you're looking for an adjustable platform, but, the only adjustable platforms that work well can be very expensive. And, in my opinion, not worth the extra dollars for the amount of times one actually adjusts it. For me, it's simply easier to use a few layers of matting to adjust my height to the bag.

SBF member "Del-Striking" from the forum posted a video showing what he uses when switching from large bags to small bags. I use the same style of mats. You can pick up a package (4 interlocking squares) for $9.99 at Harbor Freight or a sporting goods store.

(P.S. Del-Striking built his own adjustable platform – great design. His bracing comes all the way out to the end of the platform to make it really sturdy. Del points out that he keeps a 40-lb. bag of sand on top of the drum to cut the vibration, so it can be an inconvenience to adjust it with the weight on it.)

Here's the forum thread that shows pictures of Del's homemade platform:

sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
    I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• crashtom
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Feb 2015

Thanks for taking the time to post. It seems like you guys are turning out some quality work. Would you ever mount your platform Inside of your house on a wall. If I was to do that would it be better to mount to one of the Outside walls as opposed to the weaker inside wall? I know nothing about construction but it seems the one of the walls on the outside corner of the house would be the strongest being that it is built with the stucco on the other side of the wall and load bearing.It seems like a good idea to run the 2x6's horizontally across three studs as opposed to just two for added vibration displacement.

Comment

• Del-Striking
        • Aug 2014

Originally posted by MsDeville View Post
        Hi Crashtom and welcome to the forum. My partner, Raul builds non-adjustable speed bag platforms that are very compact, yet, VERY sturdy. Raul has been hitting the bag since he was a kid. He's a builder and has built all of his own platforms over the years. We have been selling them for the past couple of years. (We also build ball-hook swivels, see my email at the bottom of this message.)

Here are a couple of videos of the platform. It's lightweight, it weighs less than 35 lbs. It's best if mounted to a couple of horizontal 2x6's that run the span of 3 studs. This way, it will cut down on vibration and be very sturdy.

We sell the "X-15" platform for $400 at this time. Shipping is approx. $60, I think. Anyway, I thought I'd throw this out there and let you decide if this is something that would work for you.

The Deville X-15 platform has been designed for optimum performance. The frame is made from 1/8" 1-1/2" steel box tubing. It includes a 24" solid wood drum w...

Here is a video showing how we mounted the platform in our garage.

I tried the water test on my custom speed bag platform — the "DEVILLE X-15." I wanted to see how much it would vibrate when punching. I also wanted to see if...

When I took up speed bagging, Raul built this freestanding platform for me.

I know you're looking for an adjustable platform, but, the only adjustable platforms that work well can be very expensive. And, in my opinion, not worth the extra dollars for the amount of times one actually adjusts it. For me, it's simply easier to use a few layers of matting to adjust my height to the bag.

SBF member "Del-Striking" from the forum posted a video showing what he uses when switching from large bags to small bags. I use the same style of mats. You can pick up a package (4 interlocking squares) for $9.99 at Harbor Freight or a sporting goods store.

(P.S. Del-Striking built his own adjustable platform – great design. His bracing comes all the way out to the end of the platform to make it really sturdy. Del points out that he keeps a 40-lb. bag of sand on top of the drum to cut the vibration, so it can be an inconvenience to adjust it with the weight on it.)

Here's the forum thread that shows pictures of Del's homemade platform:

Wow Dee, I really like that cage Raul built. The park district I work for has these events in the summer called Just Play and they're held outside on the property. They all know I can bag and said if there's a way we can do that outside as an interactive demonstration that would be cool. Until seeing this picture I was struggling with this idea. Thanks may have to get out the tools..

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by Del-Striking View Post
          Wow Dee, I really like that cage Raul built. The park district I work for has these events in the summer called Just Play and they're held outside on the property. They all know I can bag and said if there's a way we can do that outside as an interactive demonstration that would be cool. Until seeing this picture I was struggling with this idea. Thanks may have to get out the tools..
          Raul tried to make it easy. It's based on a 4x8 sheet of plywood, cut in half for roof and the floor. He used one full 4x8 sheet for the back wall – necessary for stability. Four 2x4s, 8' long; 5 more 8-footers, cut in half (roughly) to make frames at the top and bottom of stand, and also the top railing on either side of unit; then some 2x2's to create the cross supports. I think that's it. I'm sure you won't have any problem building it. Yes, I agree, that would made a pretty good performance platform for you. Be sure to post some pictures if you built one, Del.
          Last edited by MsDeville; 02-16-2015, 02:41 PM. Reason: updated info on freestanding unit
          sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
          I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
          Working...