• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • crashtom
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Feb 2015

Valor CA-53 or Balazs I Box platform?

Thanks to the link paranday provided, I decided to build my own Wooden freestanding platform stand. I'm looking at two platforms, the Valor CA-53 with 2" drum or the Balazs I Box. They both seem very well made. The Valor has a thicker drum- 2inch as opposed to the Balazs 1.25 inch.I've read that several people have replaced the stock Balazs drum with a custom drum, will this be a necessity? They both come with the chain link swivel which i would replace immediately. I like the fact that the Valor has the adjustable worm gear as opposed to the four mounts that the Balazs has, but is that a weak point for that platform? Has anyone had a problem with the crank and mechanics possibly getting in the way on the Valor? Being that my two sons will be using the bag as well as me, the Valor's easier adjustment seems more user friendly than the Balazs. Pricewise the Valor is about $300 shipped with the bag and the Balazs about $250 without. Has anyone tried both of these? Opinion on which might be better? Thanks for any help. I just want to make the best purchase after putting so much work into building the stand.
  • 45LongColt
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jan 2015

I don't have a lot of experience with different pieces of speed bag equipment, but I do have the CA-52 Platform and mount. The steel framing is very sturdy and seems well made with nice clean welds. The worm gear works well and so far hasn't come loose while hitting the bag. The other item I liked is that the drum is drilled all the way through and comes with long bolts, washers and nuts to secure the swivel completely through the drum. Unit weighs about 75 lbs when all put together and I recommend at least 2 people to hang it.

Now the bad news. I cant believe for $325 they didn't provide a solid wooden drum. The drum platform is actually compressed wood with a very thin wood laminated on the outside. I didn't realize it until I had to drill new holes for the DeVille swivel. I think this is really lame of Valor and I see no mention of this on their website. They basically call it a 2" High density wood platform ...

Personally think a 1" solid wood drum is far better than the 2" compressed particle wood platform Valor provides. Also, not real sure who makes the bag for Valor, but I used it for about 1 day and then purchased a Title and a Reyes bag to use instead. Hope this helps.

Colt

Comment

• crashtom
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Feb 2015

Colt,thanks for your input. I guess the swivel bolting system is one of the good points about the Valor. Good to hear the worm gear works well too. I wasn't sure if the bag that came with it was any good or not. Too bad about the drum construction but I guess with either of these units I might have to replace the drum.

Comment

• speedy G
        • Oct 2014

Originally posted by crashtom View Post
        Colt,thanks for your input. I guess the swivel bolting system is one of the good points about the Valor. Good to hear the worm gear works well too. I wasn't sure if the bag that came with it was any good or not. Too bad about the drum construction but I guess with either of these units I might have to replace the drum.
        You might want to consider the x-mark 2811 - It's solid, adjustable and affordable. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFUwORMuRPk

Comment

• crashtom
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Feb 2015

Ill look in to it. Thanks for throwing this one in. It's the only one with a solid wood drum. About $230 delivered. Still has a chain swivel and bag would be separate but it seems to get pretty good reviews.
          Last edited by crashtom; 02-14-2015, 07:41 PM.

Comment

• 45LongColt
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Jan 2015

I'm probably going to replace my drum at some time as I just don't like the compressed partial board they used. Worried about the area where I drilled the new holes for the swivel and I do notice some vibrations in the actual drum itself. I can get a 2" x 24" x 24" piece of butcher block for about $100 and cut/drill it myself to replace the original one from Valor.

So far the mechanism that raises and lowers the height as not been a problem and my son lowers it every day. Kind of a pain for me to have to raise it again each day, so I might just build him a platform to stand on.

It is however, very convenient when switching out bags to be able to adjust the height in seconds.

Colt

Comment

• sidepocketmagi
              Speed Bag Trainee
              • Aug 2015

I am researching the exact same setups. I like the ease of adjustment that the Valor seems to provide and Balazs looks ultra sturdy. I currently have an Everlast economy setup. It has lots of vibration. I have thought about replacing the drum but I'm not sure the brackets are the sturdiest. So, I'm looking for something new and adjustable for my son and I (He is taller than me, lol). Anyhow, it's good to see that others have considered the same purchases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
              Working...