• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • crashtom
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Feb 2015

best inexpensive freestanding speed bag platform

After 10 years I've decided to get back into working out with the speed bag. Id like to get a freestanding unit to put in a bedroom thats not being used. In the past I've had the Century unit and I triple platformed it and used a 100# heavy bag for stability. I also used weights on the legs as well as tie down straps to the platform to the legs for stability. Fifty pound bag of sand went on top of the platform. For a cheap freestanding unit it was pretty solid for what it was.
    Can anyone please tell me which of the cheapies is the best in stability to start with? Century? Title? Everlast? I know i should just mount one to my wall but I'm afraid of the vibrations it would cause to this old house. Thanks
  • crashtom
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Feb 2015

After looking closer at the 3 stands I mentioned, it seems that the Title has a double weight leg support under the speedbag area as opposed to just one support or leg on the Century and the Everlast. Seems like it would be a stronger, more stable area to mount the tiedowns to. Anybody have the Title setup rigged in this way? Thanks for any help.

Comment

• paranday
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Sep 2009

When this topic has come up, the freestanding frame found on this page

http://www.pi-amp.com/speedbag/speedbag.html

seems to be the best solution, but you have to make it yourself. The platform itself can be any one you want.

Comment

• crashtom
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Feb 2015

Thanks for the pic. I just wish i had the skills for that.

Comment

• paranday
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Sep 2009

A friend with a table saw could probably build it for you. Would take some time though.

Comment

• RenoRattler
            • Sep 2009

Stability and freestanding really dont go together. I started with on of those heavy/speed combo standing units. Nothing i could ever donto it would satisfy like a wall mount. Weight on top, strapping it down, weight on the bottom. About the only thing i didnt try was using a super heavy drum.

If you mount a wall unit well, and weight it down it doesnt vibrate as much through the wall. how old is the house, haha.

Comment

• crashtom
              Speed Bag Trainee
              • Feb 2015

My house just seems like it would take a beating with a speedbag vibrating. But my assumptions are based on the vibrations of a freestanding heavy/speedbag platform.Have people had luck If mounted on a wall to the studs in a normal 1 story house without shaking the wall/roof apart? I live alone so I'm not worried about noise or bothering anyone,just shaking the house apart. My house was built in 1972 and too me not the best construction.

Comment

• drag-on389
                • May 2014

shaking house loose

If you are worried about shaking the house loose, go up in the attic and make sure you have rafter ties up there . If you do you can try mounting across three 2x4s. Maybe somebody else can explain it better.

Comment

• crashtom
                  Speed Bag Trainee
                  • Feb 2015

The wall that i would mount it to has no attic over it. It is a flat roof over a small bedroom in the back of my house. Seems like it might even shake the stucco loose on the outside of the wall.

Comment

• Dutchman
                    Speed Bag Historian
                    • Jun 2006

Sounds like a SoCal house built before the 70's energy crisis. Yeah you could loosen the stucco on the outside wall for sure. I used to see a lot of platforms mounted on three quarter ply on the outside walls of houses, usually under the back patio roofs.

Comment

• crashtom
                      Speed Bag Trainee
                      • Feb 2015

Thanks for all the help. I think I'm going to try to build this platform stand after all! Can someone steer me towards a place that has good prices on a platform and what double armed platform do you recommend? Thanks Again. Also does anybody know where the original build link is on this stand in this forum?
                      Last edited by crashtom; 02-14-2015, 12:18 PM.

Comment

• crashtom
                        Speed Bag Trainee
                        • Feb 2015

Has anyone ever attempted to build this stand? I'm a little confused on the base build as nothing is really stated in the plans.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                        Working...