X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Del-Striking
    • Aug 2014

Bag inconsistency

A little frustrated with my Leone 5x8. Although the bag seems to be shaped properly I'm finding that it gets squirrelly when it's rotated in a certain position. The only thing I can think of is that all the welts aren't beaten down enough or it's slightly warped or my I'm just not quick enough on the draw to keep it tracking true ???
  • Dutchman
    Speed Bag Historian
    • Jun 2006

Usually this is indication of some heavy spots in the leather. The quality of the leather used varies, and from what I have observed there can be spots in the leather that are somewhat thicker than the rest. With the small, light bags this can cause the response that you're describing. This is also true of the bladder. When inflated they don't always stretch evenly, and you wind up with small heavy spots. With larger bags this isn't an issue, especially when you're just hitting traditional boxing style, i.e. from the front triplet. Then we can get into the dynamics of the swivel, but IMHO that is not as much of a factor as what has been stated above.

Comment

• fedora
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Dec 2012

I have the same bag and it is a bit of a challenge to hit anyway. I found that it helps to not have it inflated as high as my other ones. Even though this doesn't seem to be the problem you are describing, it may still help a bit on the rebounds.

fedora

Comment

• Del-Striking
        • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
        Usually this is indication of some heavy spots in the leather. The quality of the leather used varies, and from what I have observed there can be spots in the leather that are somewhat thicker than the rest. With the small, light bags this can cause the response that you're describing. This is also true of the bladder. When inflated they don't always stretch evenly, and you wind up with small heavy spots. With larger bags this isn't an issue, especially when you're just hitting traditional boxing style, i.e. from the front triplet. Then we can get into the dynamics of the swivel, but IMHO that is not as much of a factor as what has been stated above.
        Thanks for the diagnosis Dutchman, It does appear that 2 of the leather panels are substantially thinner and wearing a lot quicker than the others. I would have never thought that would cause a rebound issue. Removing some air and softening it up does help but still isn't a trustworthy bag. I love the speed this bag has but not at the expense of performance. Oh well live and learn. Maybe its time for Cleto 5x8 or Balasz something with some better quality hide.

Comment

• fedora
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Dec 2012

The Balaz Lazer bag is extremely well built. It is much heavier than the Leone though.

fedora

Comment

• gfe76
            • Dec 2011

ok...I may be "hijacking" this thread, but I am having same problem with a title red leather 5x8 (?), it might be a 6x9..small bag. Most of time (95%) it tracks beautifully. I have been hitting it for about 2 years...no problem at all with tracking and now, after about 10 hits it goes all squirrely. I checked the symmetry... the back seam (all seams smooth) is crooked near the sweet spot and one panel in back is very, very, slightly bulged. I always hit with laces pointed toward me---and use Kahn's method of hitting twice with each hand---once with front of last 2 knuckles and second hit with side of last knuckle. I hit hard and fast. I use a powermill swivel. I check swivel often and make sure there is grease on ball. I thought I may have worn groove in cradle (housing) for ball, but I doubt that. I usually only hit straight, sometime rolling/double hits.
            air pressure is light, but I have tried increasing it.
            I have not tried to use a different bag...probably should do that---just didn't want to buy one if not necessary.
            thanks for replies.

Comment

• Del-Striking
              • Aug 2014

I would change out the bladder and if that doesn't help then maybe since you've always hit the bag with the laces facing you it's probably warped into a shape that wont allow the bag to track straight when rotated even the slightest bit.

Comment

• Del-Striking
                • Aug 2014

Originally posted by fedora View Post
                The Balaz Lazer bag is extremely well built. It is much heavier than the Leone though.

fedora
                I've heard the Balasz is somewhat heavier than most but I've also heard its pretty darn fast when not inflated to it's max. I prefer bags that let you know you have to hit it since I've almost exclusively used a fighting sports 5x8 with its original bladder. After messing with a Leone for a few months I'm finding my FS in need of some more RPM's. So I'm probably going to change out the bladder and see how that works. still would like a balasz or cleto though

Comment

• drag-on389
                  • May 2014

Imho changing out the bladder on the fighting sports bag will make it faster, but it won't turn it into a rocket. The good thing is it still feels just as solid when hitting it. I am sure you will like it.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                  Working...