• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dannyboy
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Aug 2014

Medart speed bag stand

I have a medart 1912 my grandpa gave me can anyone tell me about it. He gave it to me when I was a kid and I still use it today. Ism 55 years old
  • paranday
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Sep 2009

Can you post some photos of it ?

Comment

• Dutchman
      Speed Bag Historian
      • Jun 2006

Medart specialized in gymnasium equipment for institutions, particularly schools.Fred Medart patented this in 1912, so while it's possible that it was made then, it's more than likely a little newer than that. This stuff was built to take the abuse that anything in a public school could dish out. Indeed, I've seen these still in use up into the 1960's. Medart merged with Nissen Trampoline in 1961 and they ceased production in 1980.
      Of note, here's info on a Medart platform on a retired US Navy battleship http://www.speedbagforum.com/forums/...php/t-682.html
      Last edited by Dutchman; 08-26-2014, 09:29 PM.

Comment

• Dannyboy
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Aug 2014

Here are some pics can anyone tell me what it's worth
        Attached Files

Comment

• Dannyboy
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Aug 2014

1255 1912 medart

Here's another pic of my medart 1255. 1912
          Attached Files

Comment

• paranday
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Sep 2009

Envy.

Comment

• Bag Man
              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Dannyboy View Post
              Here's another pic of my medart 1255. 1912
              I am familiar with this model.

The crank/sled is original, as is the wood base on which it is mounted. I do not believe the drum supports to be correct. I have seem both wood and metal arms on this model, but, the ones on this unit do not look similar to the others I have seen and look to be too new. From the little I can see of the drum, it might be the original. If you post a pic of the top of the drum unobstructed by plywood I could tell you with more certainty.
              "He [Marciano] was far and away the strongest man I've encountered."

Archie Moore

Comment

• Bag Man
                • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Bag Man View Post
                I am familiar with this model.

The crank/sled is original, as is the wood base on which it is mounted. I do not believe the drum supports to be correct. I have seem both wood and metal arms on this model, but, the ones on this unit do not look similar to the others I have seen and look to be too new. From the little I can see of the drum, it might be the original. If you post a pic of the top of the drum unobstructed by plywood I could tell you with more certainty.
                Actually, let me dial back a bit on the arms. I took a closer look. Are they wood or metal? If they are wood, they too might be the original. Hard to tell with the plywood cover.

Archie Moore

Comment

• Dannyboy
                  Speed Bag Trainee
                  • Aug 2014

Medart speed bag

Ite wood

Comment

• Bag Man
                    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Dannyboy View Post
                    Ite wood
                    Ok. (They looked grey in the pics which is why I thought the could be metal.) If they taper they are likely the originals.

From what I see it looks to be all there. I purchased one a few years back and paid around $800. I think yours might be in better condition. I had mine restored professionally (I don’t have the facility or skill). The restoration cost quite a bit.

I believe that these are older and harder to find than the Narragansett platforms. (I personally have only seen three.) As is, I would not be surprised if it went for $1,200 to $1,500, considerably more if restored. (Obviously, only my opinion.)

If I may make a suggestion: move it inside. Even with the plywood cover exposure to the weather will not do the platform any favors.

Congrats on an exceptional piece.

Archie Moore

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                    Working...