• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SpeedoBaggins
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jun 2013

Suggestions on mounting platform

Hey guys, I ordered a platform that should be coming in within the next week or so. I'll be mounting it to some studs in the shed at the house that I'm currently renting (ok'd by the landlord). My question is what would you suggest to reduce as much potential vibration as possible? The platform has the standard 16" spacing between bolts. Here's a picture of where it will be mounted. The 2 studs on the sides of the larger beam (not the ones actually touching the beam) are the most sturdy and are 16" apart. I should mention that my plan is to mount 2 horizontal studs, either 2x4 or 4x4, for the top and bottom of the platform frame and go through the frame, horizontal studs, and vertical studs with lag screws.

Last edited by SpeedoBaggins; 07-06-2013, 07:16 PM.
  • swfl
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2013

Hello SpeedBaggins. A couple of things I notice are... The header or the horizontal 2x8/ 2x10 should be flush with the studs. You can add some plywood and 2x4's or other to give full coverage. Also the studs appear to be just toe nailed in place. Before modifying the header you can add some screws from the top down and get a better fastening detail. You could also double the studs the new platform will mount to and add additional nails or screws from the exterior side into the studs. You could also add a larger piece of plywood that covers 3 or 4 studs to spread the load over a larger area and then mount to the plywood. The existing 4x4 looks to be the strongest part of the framing and should be used if possible. My two cents.

Comment

• SpeedoBaggins
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Jun 2013

Would you use typical wood screws to stabilize the 2x4s to the header and exterior or would you use something larger like a screw?

Comment

• swfl
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Apr 2013

You can just get a box of 3 inch deck screws. The star drive ones are the best. They don't strip. If your new mount is based off 16 inch centers you could measure from the 4x4 over and add a double stud. Really depends on the outside. Is it just the other side of the plywood or is there siding/stucco or other for the finish material? Will the owner mind?

Comment

• SpeedoBaggins
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Jun 2013

No, it's just the other side of the plywood

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
          Working...