• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SpeedoBaggins
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jun 2013

New Member - Platform Suggestions

New member, so I first wanted to say, "Hi". When I was in college, the university's gym had a speed bag that I would incorporate into my workouts. Unfortunately, although I have been out of college for several years, none of the gyms that I've been a part of have had speed bags. Therefore, I'm going to be purchasing a platform to mount in the shed at home and was looking for some suggestions.
    I was thinking about the Everlast Elite Adjustable since I've read that they're supposed to be fairly decent. However, I've definitely noticed that the thickness of their platforms for that model has gone down (1.75in vs current 1in), and the wood braces that the frame attaches to are now smaller. My question is...are they still worth getting? I was also looking at a Valor CA-10, as I'm not absolutely certain that I need it to be adjustable. Either way, I would be attaching the frame to wood beams, then attaching that to the wood studs in the wall.
    Any help would be appreciated fellas.
  • paranday
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Sep 2009

You can upgrade a low buck platform you can find on Craigslist to where it is solid, if you wanted to try out speed bag before committing $$$ to something better looking. There are some impressive bagging videos done on low dollar platform set-ups. Can't say anything about that current Everlast platform, sad to hear if they've cheapened it.

Comment

• SpeedoBaggins
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Jun 2013

How do you guys typically go about adding drums?

Comment

• SpeedoBaggins
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Jun 2013

Anyone with experience adding drums to cheaper units? I will say that I'm also looking at the XMark XM-2811, but would prefer to not spend $200 if I don't have to.

Comment

• ghodge
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Mar 2013

I have the X-Mark and am very happy with it. I replaced the swivel and went to Home Depot and replaced the hardware for the height adjustment. I bought 3/8 lag bolts and lock washer. I used the rubber and steel washers that came with the unit. The hand tighteners did not work well. With the new hardware I used a ratchet to tighten everything down and it's rock solid. Only cost about $2.

Comment

• SpeedoBaggins
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Jun 2013

I'd also like to see some pictures as I'm not 100% sure how you tighten the adjustment if the handle for screwing it in isn't being used.

Comment

• paranday
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Sep 2009

Originally posted by SpeedoBaggins View Post
              Anyone with experience adding drums to cheaper units? I will say that I'm also looking at the XMark XM-2811, but would prefer to not spend $200 if I don't have to.
              Take a look at the cover of the Speed Bag Bible. If it's good enough for Alan...

Comment

• ghodge
                Speed Bag Trainee
                • Mar 2013

Here's a picture of my platform, then an inside and outside view of one side of the platform adjustable connection. I replaced the carriage bolts and hand tightened nut with a 3/8 carriage bolt and nut from home depot. I use a ratchet to fasten the bolts so I get an extremely tight lock on the platform. Works great. $2.00.
                Attached Files

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                Working...