• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gutbop
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Dec 2012

Platform help

Hey guys. Looking to build a speed bag platform for my kid for Christmas. I've looked around quite a bit for a economic solution. I know that hardwood is best. Here is what I've found: The only hardwood Lowes has is a 1/4 sheet of maple plywood. There is a hardwood place locally at which I can buy a 2'x2'x3/4" piece of maple for $50. I've seen decent platforms online for around $75. Or, I could by a sheet of regular plywood and cut it and glue the pieces together fairly cheaply. I'd rather not have to spend $75 if I don't have to. Is the 3/4" piece of maple worth it? He said he could mill it, which makes me wonder whether it would be a solid piece anyway.. Not sure which route to take.
  • PunchDrummer
    • Jan 2012

I would avoid plywood or particle board. They will soak-up a lot of energy. I’ve tried them on my earlier homemade platforms.
    I've also built platforms using pine or oak tabletop rounds from HD or Lowes and fortifying them with 4*4 on top where I estimated most bellies would hit the drum, and cross-braced. They’re solid, but I would love to have a maple drum because I can feel the difference in energy absorption between various setups. The harder the drum, the livelier the drumming. Past that, the platform must be solid and braced so energy that wasn't "rebounded" is transmitted to the mounting surface, which should be solid, so the excess energy is transmitted and dispersed far away from the source.

That said, look at the recent video by SpeedBagAtaraxis (“Gangnam Style”). It looks like he's using the better quality (with square tubing) Everlast adjustable setup that you can get at your local sporting goods store. Keep everything tight, and it should do just fine – as deftly demonstrated. It’s really nice to have an adjustable platform.

Have a great Christmas! This will be a great gift for your child!
    The Speed Bag Bible DVD and autographed book by Alan Kahn will be a fastastic gift to go along with a new setup. One of the best gifts I've ever received. $20 for forum members. Alan steps you through in an entertaining and personable way. Great for kids and adults.
    Last edited by PunchDrummer; 12-18-2012, 10:33 PM.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
    Working...