X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bag-A-Holic
    • Apr 2011

Platform Modification Alternative

Hi all, I just ordered and recieved my 30" adjustable Balaz platform. I was on the fence about ordering it because of not being able to bolt my swivels on. I like to change swivels often and thought it would be fairly soon when the holes stripped out. Although I did find a template to do a modifiaction for the frame and while this seems doable, I would like to have that as a last resort, as not to compromise the structure and my warranty. So looking through the SBF archives I saw someone mention the idea of using t-Nuts on the platform. While this didnt get any feedback, it made me look into it further. I came across these bolts pictured below, called sex bolts. The female end could be put through the top of the wooden platform and then the bolt could be used to secure the swivel and alos be able to be changed often and easily without stripping the wood.

Has anyone tried these on a platform or have any thought on its application.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Bag-A-Holic; 12-13-2012, 03:57 PM.
    -Anthony
  • paranday
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Sep 2009

Looks like a good idea if they'll grip the particle board. Had thought about using carriage bolts sunk below the surface of the top of the drum. So far I've just rotated the swivel slightly and drilled new holes. It takes a while to strip holes unless you're changing swivels constantly.

Comment

• Bag-A-Holic
      • Apr 2011

Originally posted by paranday View Post
      Looks like a good idea if they'll grip the particle board. Had thought about using carriage bolts sunk below the surface of the top of the drum. So far I've just rotated the swivel slightly and drilled new holes. It takes a while to strip holes unless you're changing swivels constantly.
      Oh do you mean coming in from the top with the bolt and then putting the nuts on the swivel side?
      -Anthony

Comment

• paranday
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Sep 2009

Yes, that's right.

Comment

• Bag-A-Holic
          • Apr 2011

Oh good idea, I guess I may not need those sex bolts after all. So I assume would use carriage bolts with a hexagon or odd shaped head to prevent turning. Then the holes I drill on top to recess them should be slightly smaller than the head so then I could hammer them in lightly and not worry about it spinning(maybe even add a little glue in the top holes around the head). Then simply just use wing nuts on the bottom, which then I wouldn't even need any tools to switch swivels. Nice, that will be my first back-up plan once the wood strips out.
          -Anthony

Comment

• paranday
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Sep 2009

Nothing wrong with the sexbolt idea if it grips the particle board well. It would look more elegant in a way. Carriage bolts are an old and simple idea, they work because the square part is driven into the wood or particle board -- you can use a hammer tap them in, or tightening a nut will pull them into the wood also. The square prevents the bolt from spinning when you tighten the nuts. You would drill a shallow hole wider than the round head to get the head below the surface, then drill a tight fitting small hole (centered) all the way through the particle board for threaded part of the bolt. Here's a photo.
            Attached Files

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
            Working...