• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Clint
    • Apr 2007

Swivel question

I use a swivel like this one:

Only thing I don't like about it is the U-shape of the bag attachment. The loops of the bags don't sit squarely in the U. Especially if the loop is thick and wide.

Can anyone think of an alternative way to attach the bag to this swivel?. Something other than the U-shaped link?

Thanks in advance.
  • BillyMack
    • Sep 2006

Surely

Clintus Maximus-

One of the swivels down at Venice Beach has that part missing. What I did was untie the laces of my bag and thread them through the hole (a couple of times). You have to run the laces through the loop first or else the bag will hang crooked. This was not optimum but it worked.

Check the pic:

2 major downsides, the first being the laces will get all scummed up with rust and grease, the second being the force on the bag will pull the laces tighter and tighter causing the arc of the bag to increase.

When I went back to VB the second time I took some heavy duty zip-ties and made one loop for the bag then used a second tie to pinch the loop together so the bag wouldn't bob up and down, this worked rather well.

I'm thinking something as simple as a heavy key ring might work as well. If you have the tools to manipulate an open chain link this could also work.

Good Luck!

Comment

• SupergeZ
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Mar 2007

hammer the beast flat! or make a new ring that is more squared at the bottom so the bag sits in it better

Comment

• jaguiler
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Jan 2007

go to the hardware store.... they have to have something in their chains sections..... then post what you find....

Comment

• Clint
          • Apr 2007

Thanks for the tips guys. I tried the key ring, but the metal isn't hard enough and it wears through pretty fast. The zip ties might work better.

There's no way I could ever pound that thing flat. And I wish we had a hardware store here in Hong Kong that sold that kind of stuff.

Think I've just got to suck it up and install that Jim Bradley polycarbon swivel I've got laying around. Be a lot quieter too I think.

Comment

• jaguiler
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Jan 2007

And I wish we had a hardware store here in Hong Kong that sold that kind of stuff.
            funny - that kind of stuff is usually made in China...

Comment

• Chris M
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Mar 2006

Another thing that I do is to tape it in place. When the bag is sitting on the swivel, I wrap tape around the bottom of the "U" shaped bar to hold the bag in place and keep it from sliding up the bag.

Now all you need to do is start beating on it, the bag's loop will wear down and compress the leather so it fits in there well. It takes a little while, but it does work. I have the exact same swivel for my indoor unit.

Comment

• Clint
                • Apr 2007

Hi Chris,

That works for all my bags except the Cleto Reyes. I think there is a piece of plastic sewn inside the loop on the Cleto and it's impossible to compress it. It's really stiff and thick. I even used pliers.

All that stuff is made in China, including my Everlast and Rival bags. Just trying to find a hardware store here, and find someone who works there that speaks English is a whole different story.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                Working...