• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • db907ak
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Apr 2012

Wonder how this would work?

Hello this is my first time posting and I have a question for the experts. I recently started getting into speed bagging and decided I would try to build my own platform. I hear alot of good things about metal ball hook swivels but they are difficult to find. So I was wondering how this would work. They make several different styles and sizes of ball casters. The one I'm interested in is below. It is about 1 in tall , 2in wide, with a 1 in ball bearing which is about the same size as my plastic ball in my everlast swivel.

I have an everlast plastic ball hook that I was going to remove the S hook and eyebolt from and drill and tap the bearing of the ball caster and install it on that. Has anyone tried this before?
    Last edited by db907ak; 04-15-2012, 02:47 AM.
  • Dutchman
    Speed Bag Historian
    • Jun 2006

The first one is used on heavy furniture as well as industrial cabinets and conveyor systems. It's a large ball bearing that runs on a circle of smaller ball bearings in the base. If the larger ball bearing is solid I could see drilling and tapping it for an eye bolt. It seems to be way over engineered for a speed bag swivel, but I could see that it could work. It does appear that it is intended for applications where weight is pushing up on it, i.e. I don't think that it will respond well in the hanging position.
    The second one is also a possibility, with the same pluses and minuses that the first one has. The fun part would be securing the ball for drilling and tapping without damaging the surface any, as this would affect the rotational response.

Comment

• paranday
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
      ...It does appear that it is intended for applications where weight is pushing up on it, i.e. I don't think that it will respond well in the hanging position.
      Maybe it could be installed upside down? Drill a hole, have it recessed into the platform.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
      Working...