Name:	3 to go.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	87112Click image for larger version

Name:	close up.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	87113

Here's some pictures of my dining room table that I made a few years ago from quarter sawn white oak.d

Sorry, I can't contain my enthusiasm about woodworking, I really enjoy it.
    Last edited by Chris M; 04-28-2007, 08:10 PM.

Comment

• jason_m_amy
      • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Chris M View Post
      [ATTACH]98[/ATTACH][ATTACH]99[/ATTACH][ATTACH]100[/ATTACH]

Here's some pictures of my dining room table that I made a few years ago from quarter sawn white oak.d

Sorry, I can't contain my enthusiasm about woodworking, I really enjoy it.
      Chris - you got some talent! I have the utmost respect for people who have the patience and skill to do things like that. Very impressed.

Billy - dam you! Now I gotta troll craigslist looking for a similar table. Never thought of cutting up old furniture to support a speed bag addiction. Excellent idea! Now I just gotta find a deal like you got...

-Jason

Comment

• Chris M
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Mar 2006

Originally posted by jason_m_amy View Post
        Chris - you got some talent! I have the utmost respect for people who have the patience and skill to do things like that. Very impressed.

Billy - dam you! Now I gotta troll craigslist looking for a similar table. Never thought of cutting up old furniture to support a speed bag addiction. Excellent idea! Now I just gotta find a deal like you got...

-Jason
        Actually I've got much nicer pieces than that dining room set in terms of construction complexity and beauty of the wood. That was actually one of my first big projects. I made so much furniture I had to stop making big pieces because we just didn't have any more room in my house.

Thanks for the compliments Jason.
        Last edited by Chris M; 04-29-2007, 07:06 AM.

Comment

• SupergeZ
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Mar 2007

The quality of that dining set you made is superb chris!

GL with the project billy, should be an excelent platform if all goes well

Comment

• BillyMack
            • Sep 2006

Thanks, Chris M. I ended up paying $50.00 for the table; the guy said his dad bought it new for $350 so I definitely got a good deal. I had the luxury of waiting for the right thing to come along at the right price. I don't have a lot of tools so I wanted to get something that was ready to hang.

I got most of the work done yesterday. I have all the hardware in place and hung the cable and pulleys, now I just have to design and install the terminals to make the platform adjustable. The wood alone weighs 50 lbs. so I may not need sand, but I have 100 lbs. just in case.

This will truly be one unique set-up. Besides being ceiling mounted instead of on the wall, this will be a full 36" in diameter and 2" thick of what I now know to be quarter sawn white oak. The platform will be adjustable with a 9" range, and can be pulled up to the ceiling should I need to use park a car in the garage.

There is a compression spring in each leg for several reasons: They help keep the platform level and help kill off any vibration. The added benefit is that the higher you crank the platform (for a larger bag) the stiffer it gets to compensate for the increase in pressure - pure genius

On-the-fly adjustments will involve un-hooking the main cable and hooking it to a lower or higher hook. easy money...

I'll post more pics and some video once I get her finished off...

http://billymack.us/gallery/DreamPlatform (page 3)

Thanks Jason and SupergeZ - craigslist is an awesome resource, especially in dense urban areas like LA or San Diego. I used the search terms like "solid maple" and "butcher block". The one I ended up getting was less than 2 miles from my house...sweetness!!

Comment

• Chris M
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Mar 2006

Looks really cool. I didn't see the compression springs but I think I know what you're talking about. The design is genius.

PS, your flag is backwards. The field should be in the upper left. Unless of course the photos are somehow flipped around backwards or if the flag is viewed mostly from the other side.

Sorry, the veteran in me saw that right away.

Comment

• BillyMack
                • Sep 2006

Ya, the springs are in the lower legs. I used galvanized steel pipe, 1/2" coming down from the ceiling and 1" coming up from the board. I slid the springs into the 1" pipe but forgot to take a picture. Hopefully they will be evident when I make a video.

Ya, I know the flag is wrong. I threw it up there to hide the stuff in the next room over. I realized my mistake but have been too lazy to fix it. Hope you aren't offended.

Comment

• Chris M
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Mar 2006

Originally posted by BillyMack View Post
                  Ya, the springs are in the lower legs. I used galvanized steel pipe, 1/2" coming down from the ceiling and 1" coming up from the board. I slid the springs into the 1" pipe but forgot to take a picture. Hopefully they will be evident when I make a video.

Ya, I know the flag is wrong. I threw it up there to hide the stuff in the next room over. I realized my mistake but have been too lazy to fix it. Hope you aren't offended.
                  No, I'm not offended at all, I just wanted to let you know.

Let us know how that thing works, it really is cool and should be a lot of fun.

Comment

• SupergeZ
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Mar 2007

that looks a beast! cant wait to see some videos of you tearing it up! GJ buddy

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                    Working...