• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hungry22
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Oct 2011

New poster, long time speed-bagger

Hello. I’ve been speed bagging for about 12 years now and I’ve just found this site. I’ll introduce myself and then I have a question and a couple of reviews.
    Like I said I’ve been speed bagging for about 12 years. I’ve always made my own platforms in the past out of scrap metal and scrap wood, or cheap bag platforms and making my own drums. It is pretty cool to see that others have been doing the same. The last drum I had was the best one and it was made out of my old kitchen table. I was using a 5x8 Cleto Reyes bag that I got back in ’00 and a U bolt swivel. I don’t do any of the “bible” style hitting yet, but I’ve been watching some videos and may try a couple of new things. I just hit for speed and to have some fun during my workouts. The set-up I had going was incredibly fast and was perfect for what I like to do.
    I gave away my bag and platform to my nephew when I moved last and went on deployment again, now I just built a new one. I have the $ to get a decent set-up now and I went with the Balaz’s i-box, title platinum u-bolt swivel, and two bags: the Cleto Reyes 5x8, which my wife got me for Christmas, and the Title platinum atomic 5x7.
    My thoughts on the equipment I bought. First, the i-box platform is top notch for the price. It is pure quality and easy to install. The only problem I have was the drum. It was pretty thin and very light. When I used it the rebound seemed to be almost absorbed by the drum rather than provide a nice “springy” solid rebound. This was the case even with approximately 50lbs of sandbags on top. I was getting very frustrated and I could not figure out if it was the bags or the platform. I made a new drum out of some oak I had and it seemed to solve the problem. The drum is 2&1/4” and I used minwax stain/lacqour which added a nice finish. Now I am bagging about as fast as I remember.
    As far as the bags go, the title platinum atomic 5x7 is awesome. It is extremely fast and light which is the way I like it. I’ve seen some posts here where people use it and then switch to less “airy” bags and I’ve found that to be a very fun technique. I highly recommend it. It seems to hit the way my old Cleto Reyes bag did. As far as the Cleto Reyes 5x8 I am a little disappointed. It seems like the material is not what it used to be. The old Reyes bag I had was goatskin, light, rebounded great, and was extremely fast. This bag is noticeably slower even after I switched out the drum on my platform. The tag says made out of goatskin or head leather, so I wonder if they switched up the way their bags are made. My questions are, have Cleto Reyes bags changed? Could it be the bladder (my new bag has a rubber bladder)? Or, do I need to work the bag for a while and wear it down a little? I don’t have my old bag to compare it side by side, but I know it is a little slower. I would appreciate any help as my old Cleto bag was perfect and I was looking to get that again.
    Sorry for the long first post. I look forward to bagging on my new set-up once again.
Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Working...